Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fiamma rafter pro review for preventing saggy awning issue in rain

Campervanpup21

Campervanpup21

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Our review of a Fiamma rafter pro.
A trip to Devon had the first time of using our Fiamma rafter pro after incurring previous problems of a saggy awning in rain and panicking all through the night.
Prior to putting it in place today we have had constant drizzle causing pools on the awning (we have the Comfortz awning room in place) and regularly ‘pushing’ upwards to clear the water. We already had one leg lower than the other.

Fitted the Rafter Pro (but we exchanged one of the ‘feet’ that came with it for a ‘sucker’ purchased from Amazon - CARAVAN AWNING ROOF POLE REPLACEMENT SUCKER 1"). The reason I exchanged the foot for this is because the end of the awning rail with the legs is slightly bevelled and the supplied cover from Fiamma didn’t sit well, whereas the sucker has moulded itself to the rail (you do have to cut it though to fit)
We have since had persistent rain (not heavy) and I can hear the rain pouring off the awning steadily on the lowest leg size with no sagging in the awning! Make sure you have enough tension to hold the rafter in place. We currently have wind of around 20 mph with 30mph gusts and all is good so far

IMG_1665.jpeg

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

My experience of using this rafter is that it may be ok in light rain but given the sort of rain we had a Camperjam it allows the water to form two pools rather than one and it was only the timely action of a forum member that saved the awning from destruction. Also dropping one leg no longer helps as water collects on the high side of the awning. I still use mine but I’m very conscious of its limitations.

Our review of a Fiamma rafter pro.
A trip to Devon had the first time of using our Fiamma rafter pro after incurring previous problems of a saggy awning in rain and panicking all through the night.
Prior to putting it in place today we have had constant drizzle causing pools on the awning (we have the Comfortz awning room in place) and regularly ‘pushing’ upwards to clear the water. We already had one leg lower than the other.

Fitted the Rafter Pro (but we exchanged one of the ‘feet’ that came with it for a ‘sucker’ purchased from Amazon - CARAVAN AWNING ROOF POLE REPLACEMENT SUCKER 1"). The reason I exchanged the foot for this is because the end of the awning rail with the legs is slightly bevelled and the supplied cover from Fiamma didn’t sit well, whereas the sucker has moulded itself to the rail (you do have to cut it though to fit)
We have since had persistent rain (not heavy) and I can hear the rain pouring off the awning steadily on the lowest leg size with no sagging in the awning! Make sure you have enough tension to hold the rafter in place. We currently have wind of around 20 mph with 30mph gusts and all is good so far

View attachment 115153

View attachment 115155

View attachment 115156
Hi, I wanted to order the replacement sucker, but cannot find the rectangle base one shown in you pic?

Hi, I wanted to order the replacement sucker, but cannot find the rectangle base one shown in you pic?
The rectangle base one is the one supplied with the rafter - these can be found on EBay / camping stores and I think these are the details -

Fiamma Rafter Pro Ends Fixing Kit Pack 2 - Grey 98655-188​

This isn’t a sucker though - it’s a fairly rigid plastic that sits over the hook end of the rafter

My experience of using this rafter is that it may be ok in light rain but given the sort of rain we had a Camperjam it allows the water to form two pools rather than one and it was only the timely action of a forum member that saved the awning from destruction. Also dropping one leg no longer helps as water collects on the high side of the awning. I still use mine but I’m very conscious of its limitations.
Thank you, I will bear this in mind. Worth knowing definitely! I have one leg higher at the moment as the pitch isn’t level and am thinking on a level pitch in a perfect world - legs should be same height and in theory the water should drain off both sides!

We have just come back from Spain and had some horrific downpours which even with the rafter pro you still get pooling but in 2 smaller areas instead of a single huge swimming pools worth.
I’ve tried everything and when combined with the comfortz awning room a bit more care when setting up needs to be taken. If you can find a slightly sloping pitch so you can get better water run off we found this worked “fairly” well but not perfect, you still find you are checking for pooling during the night.
Also try putting the rafter Pro so it’s not central.
we have found over the years it’s all trial and error.

This was our experience too, a real shame, especially after I'd made the effort to cut it down so that it would fit in the boot. We tried it a couple of times in the rain, but couldn't avoid it forming two puddles instead of just the one, so didn't see any point in using it.

Anyone want to buy a Cali-adapted rafter?. .. it's got two suckers as well - really useful!

We usually use the safari ‘tent’ of which the wind out awning is the roof. If rain is forecast as well as dropping one leg I also raise the other as high as it goes. The set up has the unfortunate effect of looking like Norman Wisdom’s jacket. Coupled with frequent checks and tweaks, the set up usually works without pooling, although I generally end up soaked through making sure it does.

We usually use the safari ‘tent’ of which the wind out awning is the roof. If rain is forecast as well as dropping one leg I also raise the other as high as it goes. The set up has the unfortunate effect of looking like Norman Wisdom’s jacket. Coupled with frequent checks and tweaks, the set up usually works without pooling, although I generally end up soaked through making sure it does.
We love our Cali’s don’t we

Back