Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Finding a suitable nav unit

Old Sid

Old Sid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have found the built-in nav unit (Discover Media) frustrating because it selects routes that include narrow lanes and silly short cuts. This is particularly annoying when towing a big trailer. Otherwise, I have been satisfied with the unit.
The touch screen on the unit has slowly degraded over a few months and the unit is now unusable. Even car play can’t be used. It needs to be repaired or replaced. A lot of research has led me to the Kenwood DNX451RVS which is designed for Motorhomes, caravans and trucks.
So, has anyone out there any experience of this unit?
- Is it okay and reliable?
- Is the mapping clear?
- will it integrate with my VW reversing camera and parking sensors?
- will the turn display between the speedo and tachometer still work?
- will it connect to the Carplay USB port?
- will it go into dark mode when auto headlights come on?
- is there a facia panel adapter that allows it to be fitted to the T6?
- are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?
- are there any other RV/Caravan/Truck nav units I should consider?

(I realise I could use an app through car play but I need a new nav unit anyway and car play won’t work on my broken unit). (I’m not at all interested in sound quality, radio function, CD player, etc. I just need a nav unit that works with my reversing camera & parking sensors. I’ve read a lot of stuff and proct specifications but some info isn’t clear.

many thanks

I prefer to use a TOMTOM device and leave the built in display to do the Camera/reverse sensor and radio functions.
Versions for Towing-HGV etc available with regular map updates and real time traffic info.

They are now doing Apps for iPhone and Android as well. I'd prefer a 6" dedicated unit. Actually have a 5" which is OK.

Garmin also seem popular with Caravanners.

We have a Pioneer AVIC Z820 DAB-C that is for trucks motorhomes and camper vans. It allows one to input vehicle dimensions and weights so when selecting a route it filters out unsuitable routings. It integrates with the VW reversing sensors and camera. Ours was fitted by Absolute 5, members of this forum. We are very happy with it. If you go down this route it must be the -C version the normal 820 unit does not have the input facility.

Thanks for your reply. I understand exactly what you say about having a separate device. I was getting very frustrated with the built in unit selecting silly routes Particularly as I don’t always have the time to check out routes on paper maps before travelling. I was therefore considering a stand-alone Motorhome/Caravan nav unit.
However, my VW unit now doesn’t work at all so I can’t use CarPlay, the reversing camera or any of the other functions so I am forced to repair the old unit, replace the old unit or have no unit at all.
You say you prefer Tom Tom to Garmin. Is that because the mapping is better or the quality of the unit?
I prefer to use a TOMTOM device and leave the built in display to do the Camera/reverse sensor and radio functions.
Versions for Towing-HGV etc available with regular map updates and real time traffic info.

They are now doing Apps for iPhone and Android as well. I'd prefer a 6" dedicated unit. Actually have a 5" which is OK.

We have a Pioneer AVIC Z820 DAB-C that is for trucks motorhomes and camper vans. It allows one to input vehicle dimensions and weights so when selecting a route it filters out unsuitable routings. It integrates with the VW reversing sensors and camera. Ours was fitted by Absolute 5, members of this forum. We are very happy with it. If you
We have a Pioneer AVIC Z820 DAB-C that is for trucks motorhomes and camper vans. It allows one to input vehicle dimensions and weights so when selecting a route it filters out unsuitable routings. It integrates with the VW reversing sensors and camera. Ours was fitted by Absolute 5, members of this forum. We are very happy with it. If you go down this route it must be the -C version the normal 820 unit does not have the input facility.
Thank you for your post. This looks very interesting and I will investigate further.
go down this route it must be the -C version the normal 820 unit does not have the input facility.
Thank you for your post. This looks very interesting and I will investigate further.
I may be back with further questions as The product descriptions are often very vague.
thanks again

Never had any issues with the Discovery + ( T6 )

you can set the preference to avoid minor road, motorways, toll roads etc. Particularly if your towing or want to avoid certain road Types, I get a choice of three routes (again settings) for each journey based on the setting I selected.

I posted a response from Sat Nav solutions Surbiton, who, when asked, confirmed that a the Discovery Media unit (certain serial number range pertaining to the T6) in known to be faulty ( normally when out of warranty)

I am aware of firm ware upgrades for the unit, has yours had the firmware update?

Thank you for your reply. This looks interesting. I like the idea of an option to avoid minor roads.
It‘s interesting that you have mentioned a known fault. Since the problem arose, I have done a lot of research. There are so many posts and reports about the exact fault we are experiencing. There is a company in Surrey that will do diagnostics and a repair.

I was shocked to discover the price of a replacement unit. £1500 is a lot to pay for a nav unit when I can get a stand-alone unit in Halfords for £300. I’m also struggling with finding info about the features and compatibility of the nav units that are on offer.

thanks again

Thank you for your reply. This looks interesting. I like the idea of an option to avoid minor roads.
It‘s interesting that you have mentioned a known fault. Since the problem arose, I have done a lot of research. There are so many posts and reports about the exact fault we are experiencing. There is a company in Surrey that will do diagnostics and a repair.

I was shocked to discover the price of a replacement unit. £1500 is a lot to pay for a nav unit when I can get a stand-alone unit in Halfords for £300. I’m also struggling with finding info about the features and compatibility of the nav units that are on offer.

thanks again
My Pioneer unit was £800 inclusive of fitting, two years ago, and with the VW adaptors to fit my T6.

Likewise, I went for a standalone TomTom device with Lifetime Map updates and Lifetime RealTime traffic updates.

I have a built in SatNav in my Audi but it is slow and awkward to use. Also it is an extortionate cost to update the maps.

It really is a no brainer!!

My Pioneer unit was £800 inclusive of fitting, two years ago, and with the VW adaptors to fit my T6.
That’s cool. Does the turn display on the little screen display between the speedo and the tachometer still show ‘next turn’? Also does the unit do Apple CarPlay.
The product info on the web sites don’t show this level of info and there’s no way I can get to see one of these units in action. They tell you loads of stuff about DAB radio which is a feature I won’t use and very little about the nav which is the primary function of the unit.
thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Likewise, I went for a standalone TomTom device with Lifetime Map updates and Lifetime RealTime traffic updates.

I have a built in SatNav in my Audi but it is slow and awkward to use. Also it is an extortionate cost to update the maps.

It really is a no brainer!!
Thanks for your post. I really do see the sense in this and it makes total sense. My problem is that my unit has broken entirely and so I’ve lost the reversing camera, the parking sensors and Apple CarPlay. I also feel that a functioning unit is part of the vehicle and I should keep everything working properly.

That’s cool. Does the turn display on the little screen display between the speedo and the tachometer still show ‘next turn’? Also does the unit do Apple CarPlay.
The product info on the web sites don’t show this level of info and there’s no way I can get to see one of these units in action. They tell you loads of stuff about DAB radio which is a feature I won’t use and very little about the nav which is the primary function of the unit.
thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate it.
The Pioneer is set up to interface with both Car Play and Android Auto. The unit I have does not interact with the MDF display between the Speedo and rev counter. However on the display itself it does tell you what the next turn is.

Back