Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Finding our feet or should that be wheels.

S

Simon Slocombe

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi my name is Simon Slocombe but more commonly known as Henry (don't ask).
We have had our 2011 T5 SE 180 4/4 a while now but only done short local trips away so far.
That is about to change, we are planning to tour parts of France before heading for the Italian Lakes, after the school kids have gone back to school.
We plan on being away for about three weeks doe anyone have any advice please.
I am also having a problem finding VIP discount codes (probably age related issues) any pointers would be much appreciated.

Welcome on your first post , clever thinking to wait until after school hollydays...we usual stay home also when school hollidays are on...much nicer without the big crouwd...

Welcome but Sorry, have to ask.......
Hi Mark
Difficult one, I might have to kill you if I told you (lol). It started 55 years ago when a good friend of mine thought it would be funny to use my middle name, and it stuck. I actually prefer it now and most people use it; now where did I leave the shotgun cartridges????

Hello Henry,

If you see Simon round can you let him know his shotgun license has expired :shocked

A big welcome to the forum, and don't worry about age related issues, I'm the queen of that one :D

Welcome, if you are travelling 'out of season' get an ACSI card and the app which will get you discount at loads of campsites across Europe outwith peak months of July and August.

Hi Simon , welcome aboard, this is a great site with lots of information that will make your Cali adventures even better!
We took the plunge to get one just a few weeks ago, after spending months reading the info on this site, I don't think we would have decided to go ahead without all the info. Picked it up and set off a week later for 4 weeks in France.
I can recommend the ACSI card. Get the card along with books and the app. We just set off got the ferry and decided while we crossed the channel where we were going to head, honestly we are usually more organised because we are used to having to pitch a tent in order to make an overnight stop anywhere but having the Cali suddenly gave us a feeling that we needed worry too much about where to pitch - really liberating!
Back to the ACSI side of things - we spent a few nights at each campsite on the trip, decided where we were headed next over a glass of wine in the evenings, browsed the ACSI handbook for sites in the area and then used the app to read the reviews posted about the sites we had narrowed it down to and just rocked up at most sites and booked in with no problem, as it was outside the school holidays (using ACSI you know in advance what you will pay for a pitch), At a couple of sites we had emailed via the app to book ahead and received quick replies of availability which was great. At one site at Lake Annecy we turned up to find a sign saying "Full Camping Car" but just asked at reception and said "we have Volkswagon camper" and they said fine and let us have a pitch in the camping area.
Have some great adventures ! - Rob

Hi Simon , welcome aboard, this is a great site with lots of information that will make your Cali adventures even better!
We took the plunge to get one just a few weeks ago, after spending months reading the info on this site, I don't think we would have decided to go ahead without all the info. Picked it up and set off a week later for 4 weeks in France.
I can recommend the ACSI card. Get the card along with books and the app. We just set off got the ferry and decided while we crossed the channel where we were going to head, honestly we are usually more organised because we are used to having to pitch a tent in order to make an overnight stop anywhere but having the Cali suddenly gave us a feeling that we needed worry too much about where to pitch - really liberating!
Back to the ACSI side of things - we spent a few nights at each campsite on the trip, decided where we were headed next over a glass of wine in the evenings, browsed the ACSI handbook for sites in the area and then used the app to read the reviews posted about the sites we had narrowed it down to and just rocked up at most sites and booked in with no problem, as it was outside the school holidays (using ACSI you know in advance what you will pay for a pitch), At a couple of sites we had emailed via the app to book ahead and received quick replies of availability which was great. At one site at Lake Annecy we turned up to find a sign saying "Full Camping Car" but just asked at reception and said "we have Volkswagon camper" and they said fine and let us have a pitch in the camping area.
It would help if you could read Dutch, a large proportion of the reviews on the ACSI app are in that language, you can still get the drift and we have not been disappointed in any of the 8 plus sites.

It would help if you could read Dutch, a large proportion of the reviews on the ACSI app are in that language, you can still get the drift and we have not been disappointed in any of the 8 plus sites.
Sadly no Dutch, but thanks .

We are thinking of booking the first stop in advance but not knowing how long each stop will be, we will possibly adopt a similar approach. I have ordered the ACSI card etc as suggested , just waiting or it to arrive. Thanks for the advice. .

Hello Henry,

If you see Simon round can you let him know his shotgun license has expired :shocked

A big welcome to the forum, and don't worry about age related issues, I'm the queen of that one :D

I was hoping no one would ask about the licence.

Welcome, if you are travelling 'out of season' get an ACSI card and the app which will get you discount at loads of campsites across Europe outwith peak months of July and August.
Thanks, ACSI card on its way.