Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fire extinguisher

S

solidstore

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
As part of my insurance I need to have a "serviceable" fire extinguisher. I have an old one that has been in the garage for 10 years. Looking at the servicing costs it looks cheaper to just buy another one. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement or advise? It's a dry powder blue one.

can you let us know who you are insure with as others may have missed this in the small print :thanks

Yes I have three extinguishers that are out of date in my garage & also found it cheaper to buy a new one than have them serviced, not very environmentally friendly though.

I bought one from Halfords, though it was not for insurance purposes, don't know if it would be suitable.

I'm insured with A-Plan. I've bought a new one also just to be safe - not sure what serviceable means though

Bl@@dy insurers at it again :headbang

I do not know, but would guess, that if there is a fire and you were present at the time, that loss adjusters would seek proof that you took reasonable steps with a suitable extinguisher to put it out. Thus your extinguisher will perhaps need to cover electrical and gas :shocked related fires. Even if you were not there they may try to find the sooted up unused extinguisher to ensure that you had complied with this requirement.

I would suggest you get a written answer to your query to cover yourself. A fire in a camper van has to be seen as a risk given the tiny kitchen and gas burners. I did various law courses in the past and It is frightening how many legal precedents have been set over the years by insurers taking technicalities to the courts whilst seeking to invalidate claims.

Interesting isn't it gatvol - I'd imagine the advice from the fire service would be to get away from the vehicle as quickly as possible and call them rather than trying to tackle it yourself.

I've bought a little one from B&Q or Argos that I keep under the seat. Not sure I'd be quick enough detaching it, reading the instructions and using it to be of any real use ;)

Can anyone advise what specification the extinguisher should be? Also, where is it stowed? I recall seeing one by the middle door pillar when we hired. Thx.

Just my tuppence worth, having unloaded a dry powder extinguisher on a couple of occasions I know the mess they make, surely a CO2 extinguisher is a better idea what with CO2 being classed as suitable for all types of fire.

ETD.

Could me my fault - we've had a fire in the Commer engine bay ;)
I put it out with an extinguisher - there would have been no vehicle left if it were just the fire brigade.

So this is probably a generic requirement for campers due to older vehicles and stoves in poor repair.

Having been through it though twice (MkI Fiesta too!) I would have one anyway! And have one in the house now too.

Go for a new foam extinguisher, large as you can accomodate, not dry powder, powder will do more damage than a small fire in your vehicle, that you have a safe chance of extinguishing ... powder will write off the inside of your van if deployed. A fire blanket is a useful addition.
Rgrds,
Rob H.

Foam? just as bad as powder, worse if it gets into electrics, CO2 all the way, it is the only extinguisher suitable for all class of fires.

Cheers,

ETD

CO2 FIRE EXTINGUISHERS should not be used in a confined space so a word of warning re use in a campervan Open the door. We carry no fire extinguishers just a fire blanket