Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fire!!!!

If you sleep upstairs, high on the wardrobe or centre of the roof.
If you cook in the Ocean the I wouldn’t bother as it would be more trouble than it’s worth.
I just have a CO alarm, only.
May I ask , why do you need a CO alarm?
Because of the diesel heather?
I think it's unlikely that you forget the burner on when you go to sleep and there aren't any other sources of CO2...
I would be concerned , following the experience of the OP in this thread, of an electrical fire developing while sleeping, hence the smoke alarm?

CO alarm for gas leaks. Smoke alarm I would put at the top of the RHS B pillar.

12v versions are available.
Thank you but I don't think it's needed. First very seldom do I use the hob, second the gas bottle is in an isolated compartment with a hole for the gas to exit as heavier than air. Third, I sleep upstairs, the gas won't make it up there. And I close the gas bottle anyway.

Propane and Butane are heavier than air.
So if you had a leak From the pipe work outside the sealed Gas Locker
then the gas would collect at floor level.
These 2 gases are also virtually odourless in their pure state. Therefore a very highly pungent chemical is added which is lighter than air and you would certainly smell that well before a significant amount of gas had escaped.
Leaks from the regulator or cylinder in the sealed gas locker vent outside via the Locker Drop Out.

Carbon Monoxide can be produced by a poorly combusting gas burner on the cooker, is lighter than air and can accumulate in the environment and the human body overtime.

Carbon Monoxide produced by the Diesel Parking Heater is so minimal, and vented outside, it is very difficult to measure unless the sensor is in the Heater Exhaust. Remember, the Parking Heater just burns diesel unlike the engine .

If it was a significant problem, Gas Leaks or Carbon Monoxide poisoning or even smoke producing electrical fires then I would have thought many Bodies, including the vehicle Manufactures, would insist and would be fitting such detectors. They Don’t, It’s Not.

You are more likely to get a thick head and feel sleepy due to Carbon Dioxide poisoning. due to 4 people and numerous dogs sleeping in a California with no windows open than be affected from a gas leak, CO poisoning or smoke inhalation.

Last edited:
Hi All
Not posted before but thought I'd share this. Went to fill the van with fuel last Wednesday, got about a mile up the road and could smell what i thought was someone having a bonfire. I looked in my rear view mirror to find the back of the van full of smoke. I pulled over and luckily i keep a case of water in the back, Smoke was pouring out of the top of the fridge and the wardrobe. I pour water in the fridge and into the wardbrode but i could still hear the crackling of flames. I shut the fridge lid and saw smoke coming up from behind it so i poured water down the back, this seemed to work, however it created huge amounts of acrid black smoke. The fire brigade then showed up (a nice guy who had come out to help) had called them. They started tearing trim off from around the fridge so they could see if the fire was out, which it was. What really concerned me was they said "lucky you wer'nt asleep up there when it happened, the smoke would have killed you!!!!. My wife now says she won't sleep in it anymore. This is our second Clai Ocean,had the same before this but a 2016 plate. I pick this one up (199hp 4motion DSG) in January this year, its only done 4500 mile and its half gone up in smoke. The dealers (who have been great) say they can't touch it until it's been inspected by VW UK or someone from Germany? VW UK have now raised a "case"!!! I'm waiting to hear if they will give me a loan Cali while they sort it but that has to go up stairs to the brass!! Anyone else had to deal with a fire?

View attachment 67444
Glad your OK, sorry about your Cali.

Penso che l'uso di rilevatori di fumo, CO e gas in una Cali e in generale in un Camper debba essere obbligatorio. Inoltre, a mio avviso, è essenziale anche un estintore; deve essere del tipo ad anidride carbonica (l'acqua può danneggiare i circuiti elettrici e il suo utilizzo dovrebbe essere pericoloso se utilizzato con il Cali collegato alla rete elettrica durante la sosta)

I think the use of smoke, CO and gas detectors in a Cali and in general in a Camper must be mandatory. Moreover, in my opinion, a fire extinguisher is also essential; it should be of the carbon dioxide type (water may damage electrical circuits and its use should be dangerous if used with the Cali connected to the main power during park)

O/P.
I think you’re being to soft. I would demand immediate action from Volkswagen and a replacement California. No question.
I’ve never heard of a fault like this on a California and suspect it’s a one off incident...

But, with the cost and severity of the situation. I think Volkswagen should sort you a replacement immediately...
It’d be prudent not to jump to conclusions as it might have been caused by something as simple as a mouse chewing through cables causing a short.

Hi All
Not posted before but thought I'd share this. Went to fill the van with fuel last Wednesday, got about a mile up the road and could smell what i thought was someone having a bonfire. I looked in my rear view mirror to find the back of the van full of smoke. I pulled over and luckily i keep a case of water in the back, Smoke was pouring out of the top of the fridge and the wardrobe. I pour water in the fridge and into the wardbrode but i could still hear the crackling of flames. I shut the fridge lid and saw smoke coming up from behind it so i poured water down the back, this seemed to work, however it created huge amounts of acrid black smoke. The fire brigade then showed up (a nice guy who had come out to help) had called them. They started tearing trim off from around the fridge so they could see if the fire was out, which it was. What really concerned me was they said "lucky you wer'nt asleep up there when it happened, the smoke would have killed you!!!!. My wife now says she won't sleep in it anymore. This is our second Clai Ocean,had the same before this but a 2016 plate. I pick this one up (199hp 4motion DSG) in January this year, its only done 4500 mile and its half gone up in smoke. The dealers (who have been great) say they can't touch it until it's been inspected by VW UK or someone from Germany? VW UK have now raised a "case"!!! I'm waiting to hear if they will give me a loan Cali while they sort it but that has to go up stairs to the brass!! Anyone else had to deal with a fire?

View attachment 67444
Sad news indeed. Hope it all turns out ok. We also have a new Cali Ocean, no issues yet, fingers crossed. Good luck

From what you said this is a secondhand van. Do you know the full history of it? Just wondering if it has had a bump on the nearside that has ruined some wiring or components in there.

I now have a fire blanket...under the passenger seat in transit and behind the drivers seat when parked up...I also have a fire extinguisher but it’s tucked away and I’m aware I should get it checked every year....it’s on my list now.
im also conscious that not one fits all fires necessarily....I’m going to add that to my list too so I have more confidence.
obviously these are just for small fires and the first thing is TO GET OUT.
Glad you’re safe and I hope the fear subsides. Keep safe.

12v versions are available.
Hi GG - as you appear to have covered all bases & now have your Cali albeit probably havent camped in it!! Please could I ask did you buy all 3 - Gas detector, CO2 detector, & smoke detector!?
Im getting myself flustered now about covering every eventuality!!

We hired a camper when on our honeymoon in NZ nearly 20 years ago. My wife woke up one night and thought there had been a gas leak... there had.... I blamed the curry we had had the night before. We are still married!

Hi GG - as you appear to have covered all bases & now have your Cali albeit probably havent camped in it!! Please could I ask did you buy all 3 - Gas detector, CO2 detector, & smoke detector!?
Im getting myself flustered now about covering every eventuality!!
Hi Jenny,
I found it quite good fun planning and buying the bits and pieces for our van. Don’t get flustered just enjoy it.

I bought CO2 and smoke detectors. Both are attached using self adhesive magnetic plates as I didn’t want to drill holes in the van. Once I use the van in anger and cook inside, I may review whether or not to keep the smoke detector if it goes off too much (or maybe just switch it on when we go to bed)? Smoke detector is located at the rear offside corner as far away from the cooker as possible but might prove to be a ‘trap’ for bacon sandwich fumes :)
Haven’t got a gas detector, however many years ago I designed a 12v gas detector for caravan use. I think I might still have one somewhere so maybe i’ll dig it out.

Attachments

• ADD9BD2B-E1AA-4526-A2C4-02C65E3935E6.jpeg
    ADD9BD2B-E1AA-4526-A2C4-02C65E3935E6.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 80C0F0DC-1D82-4C6E-B771-3D8C301DBE40.jpeg
    80C0F0DC-1D82-4C6E-B771-3D8C301DBE40.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi Jenny,
I found it quite good fun planning and buying the bits and pieces for our van. Don’t get flustered just enjoy it.

I bought CO2 and smoke detectors. Both are attached using self adhesive magnetic plates as I didn’t want to drill holes in the van. Once I use the van in anger and cook inside, I may review whether or not to keep the smoke detector if it goes off too much (or maybe just switch it on when we go to bed)? Smoke detector is located at the rear offside corner as far away from the cooker as possible but might prove to be a ‘trap’ for bacon sandwich fumes :)
Haven’t got a gas detector, however many years ago I designed a 12v gas detector for caravan use. I think I might still have one somewhere so maybe i’ll dig it out.
Hi GG - I guess Ive really put it all to oneside thinking Ive got ages & all of a sudden it will be here & wont be prepared at all! So far Ive only bought the pretty things but need to get a practical grip on myself so thought Id start with health & safety.
I knew youd be up to speed on it all - thank you so much & yes I get your thinking about the bacon sandwich fumes! Ive also got a ridge monkey in my club shop basket as dont plan on doing much cooking at all apart from toasties!

Hi GG - I guess Ive really put it all to oneside thinking Ive got ages & all of a sudden it will be here & wont be prepared at all! So far Ive only bought the pretty things but need to get a practical grip on myself so thought Id start with health & safety.
I knew youd be up to speed on it all - thank you so much & yes I get your thinking about the bacon sandwich fumes! Ive also got a ridge monkey in my club shop basket as dont plan on doing much cooking at all apart from toasties!
Most of our cooking will be outside using a Cadac 2 for which we’ve got a second 907 Camingaz bottle. Also got a really low cost table from Decathalon to use as a cooking station. It fits in the bottom of the rear slide out tray really nicely (underneath our packing crates).

Most of our cooking will be outside using a Cadac 2 for which we’ve got a second 907 Camingaz bottle. Also got a really low cost table from Decathalon to use as a cooking station. It fits in the bottom of the rear slide out tray really nicely (underneath our packing crates).
Yes a Cadac's on my non-essential purchase list once Ive got to grips with the must haves & recovered from the cost of it all which does stack up!

I recently bought a "fire safety stick". https://firesafetystick.com/ .
Small size, lack of mess and suitable for variety of fire types were the selling points for me.
Mounted it on the side of the sliding bench seat so I'm encouraged to be getting out of the van as well.
(also have fire blanket and carbon monoxide alarm)

I recently bought a "fire safety stick". https://firesafetystick.com/ .
Small size, lack of mess and suitable for variety of fire types were the selling points for me.
Mounted it on the side of the sliding bench seat so I'm encouraged to be getting out of the van as well.
(also have fire blanket and carbon monoxide alarm)
Never heard of that thanks will look at the info/videos

Forgive me if I throw my 2p's worth in. I was thinking that a fire blanket would be a wise addition and relatively low cost too.
Yes I saw them in the club shop where I have my pending open list! Not sure if you buy a fire stick it combines both the fire extinguisher & blanket - at this rate I will need a bigger van!!

Back