Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fire!!!!

I recently bought a "fire safety stick". https://firesafetystick.com/ .
Small size, lack of mess and suitable for variety of fire types were the selling points for me.
Mounted it on the side of the sliding bench seat so I'm encouraged to be getting out of the van as well.
(also have fire blanket and carbon monoxide alarm)
In my view, thoughtful prevention of fire when camping is essential but there are times when a fire will start and having the equipment to deal with the issue can keep you and loved ones safer. Having a fire extinguisher (and monoxide alarm) are the most important accessories you can buy for your camper.

I recently bought a "fire safety stick". https://firesafetystick.com/ .
Small size, lack of mess and suitable for variety of fire types were the selling points for me.
Mounted it on the side of the sliding bench seat so I'm encouraged to be getting out of the van as well.
(also have fire blanket and carbon monoxide alarm)
Do you have a picture of were you mounted it?. I have been looking at somewhere to put mine too.

Do you have a picture of were you mounted it?. I have been looking at somewhere to put mine too.

d82067e0a335f70b40c570ea04096e28.jpg

Mounted here on the side of the bench seat. The clip came included and I used 2 self tapping screws.
The fire blanket is also in the photo: between fridge and my kitchen pod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All
Not posted before but thought I'd share this. Went to fill the van with fuel last Wednesday, got about a mile up the road and could smell what i thought was someone having a bonfire. I looked in my rear view mirror to find the back of the van full of smoke. I pulled over and luckily i keep a case of water in the back, Smoke was pouring out of the top of the fridge and the wardrobe. I pour water in the fridge and into the wardbrode but i could still hear the crackling of flames. I shut the fridge lid and saw smoke coming up from behind it so i poured water down the back, this seemed to work, however it created huge amounts of acrid black smoke. The fire brigade then showed up (a nice guy who had come out to help) had called them. They started tearing trim off from around the fridge so they could see if the fire was out, which it was. What really concerned me was they said "lucky you wer'nt asleep up there when it happened, the smoke would have killed you!!!!. My wife now says she won't sleep in it anymore. This is our second Clai Ocean,had the same before this but a 2016 plate. I pick this one up (199hp 4motion DSG) in January this year, its only done 4500 mile and its half gone up in smoke. The dealers (who have been great) say they can't touch it until it's been inspected by VW UK or someone from Germany? VW UK have now raised a "case"!!! I'm waiting to hear if they will give me a loan Cali while they sort it but that has to go up stairs to the brass!! Anyone else had to deal with a fire?

View attachment 67444
This is when you are glad you went for a California Beach!

Hi All
Not posted before but thought I'd share this. Went to fill the van with fuel last Wednesday, got about a mile up the road and could smell what i thought was someone having a bonfire. I looked in my rear view mirror to find the back of the van full of smoke. I pulled over and luckily i keep a case of water in the back, Smoke was pouring out of the top of the fridge and the wardrobe. I pour water in the fridge and into the wardbrode but i could still hear the crackling of flames. I shut the fridge lid and saw smoke coming up from behind it so i poured water down the back, this seemed to work, however it created huge amounts of acrid black smoke. The fire brigade then showed up (a nice guy who had come out to help) had called them. They started tearing trim off from around the fridge so they could see if the fire was out, which it was. What really concerned me was they said "lucky you wer'nt asleep up there when it happened, the smoke would have killed you!!!!. My wife now says she won't sleep in it anymore. This is our second Clai Ocean,had the same before this but a 2016 plate. I pick this one up (199hp 4motion DSG) in January this year, its only done 4500 mile and its half gone up in smoke. The dealers (who have been great) say they can't touch it until it's been inspected by VW UK or someone from Germany? VW UK have now raised a "case"!!! I'm waiting to hear if they will give me a loan Cali while they sort it but that has to go up stairs to the brass!! Anyone else had to deal with a fire?

View attachment 67444
Have you any news regarding the cause and what has happened?

Hi All

View attachment 67444
Any further information regarding the cause of the fire. I’m sure Forum Members would be interested in the outcome?

A friend’s Mercedes burst into flames on his driveway today and trashed his Eriba too! :-(

145B8B22-9F8A-4595-A953-7D1219D706BC.jpeg

A friend’s Mercedes burst into flames on his driveway today and trashed his Eriba too! :-(

View attachment 100605
Interesting, my daughters car and her partners car were recently burned to the ground.
Their next door neighbours Mercedes had just come back from an mot and a repair/ sensor replacement to fix a dpf light on the dash.
We presume the garage did a forced regen and the car got really hot, he drove it home for half an hour, it then caught light and took out another 3 cars and a garage roof!

I presume the OP never got his Cali back, I always thought any fire damage to cars the insurance normally write them off ????

d82067e0a335f70b40c570ea04096e28.jpg

Mounted here on the side of the bench seat. The clip came included and I used 2 self tapping screws.
The fire blanket is also in the photo: between fridge and my kitchen pod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good tip, thanks. Just bought one.

Interesting, my daughters car and her partners car were recently burned to the ground.
Their next door neighbours Mercedes had just come back from an mot and a repair/ sensor replacement to fix a dpf light on the dash.
We presume the garage did a forced regen and the car got really hot, he drove it home for half an hour, it then caught light and took out another 3 cars and a garage roof!

I presume the OP never got his Cali back, I always thought any fire damage to cars the insurance normally write them off ????
Coincidently my friends Merc had recently been in the dealership to investigate a problem. They found no fault. Firemen suspect an electrical fault.

Good tip, thanks. Just bought one.
I've had a CO alarm for a while now, but now thinking I need one of these Fire Safety Sticks (and smoke alarm)... the fire sticks look fantastic, and I am going to strap it in the same place along the side of the seat... buying my sister one for her van too.. https://amzn.to/3S7W7ar - I'll do a video of it at some point.

Really scary for all concerned but thankfully nobody injured. We have had CO monitor for a while now but having followed this post now looking to purchase a fire stick and a smoke detector. I now am aware of the different types of smoke detector sensors and it seems that the Photoelectric is probably best for the Campervan. The wee Mini X-Sense one that a previous post detailed has been updated and is available on Amazon. Looks pretty easy to fit as has ‘sticky back ‘ option, so no drilling needed.
I guess where some of you have the fire stick fitted, at the side of the bottom drawer, will still need a couple of drill holes but it looks like a good spot.

I’ve heard back from the OP and further information will be forthcoming at some time in the future.
Well no further information regarding the cause and the OP hasn't been back to the Forum since March 2021.

Back