Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Practice Sessions in the house - lessons and questions!

B

Brodger3

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150
Campervan Practice Session #1

Where do you sit/go for the three hours between the kids bed time and your own?

Sunday afternoon was spent practicing campervanning with the kids in the dining room / play room. It is clear the kids are going to ask a million questions and poke, prod and fiddle with everything they can get their hands on. My patience was frayed just going through the stuff sorting out what was absolutely necessary for three days/two nights away with kids 7' 5 and 2. An immediate conclusion is that three kids on my own is too much. It will need to be a combination of any two.

Laying out the Brandrup mattress on the floor helped visualize sleeping in the van for the kids. Downstairs bunk would easily take me and two kids. If my other half comes then two kids in the top bunk and one down below with us. That may cause some tears though.

Poppy 7 asks - how do we cook things? I reply a camping stove outside the van. This makes me think that a shelter would be needed. I have a gazebo thing already but perhaps a tailgate awning is needed.

Poppy asks - where do we go to the toilet? Good question and one which will come up again and again when we park-up for an evening. A small camping toilet is required, but where do you put it for traveling and critically for use?

Max 5 has no questions he is to busy being a caterpillar in his sleeping bag.

They are ready for bed at 8 but are up a dozen times and come through to the kitchen. They finally are asleep at 9:30.

So where do you sit/go for the three hours between the kids bed time and your own?

I think that is my big question out of this first practice session.

Sunday afternoon was spent practicing campervanning with the kids in the dining room / play room. It is clear the kids are going to ask a million questions and poke, prod and fiddle with everything they can get their hands on. My patience was frayed just going through the stuff sorting out what was absolutely necessary for three days/two nights away with kids 7' 5 and 2. An immediate conclusion is that three kids on my own is too much. It will need to be a combination of any two.

Laying out the Brandrup mattress on the floor helped visualize sleeping in the van for the kids. Downstairs bunk would easily take me and two kids. If my other half comes then two kids in the top bunk and one down below with us. That may cause some tears though.

Poppy 7 asks - how do we cook things? I reply a camping stove outside the van. This makes me think that a shelter would be needed. I have a gazebo thing already but perhaps a tailgate awning is needed.

Poppy asks - where do we go to the toilet? Good question and one which will come up again and again when we park-up for an evening. A small camping toilet is required, but where do you put it for traveling and critically for use?

They are ready for bed at 8 but are up a dozen times and come through to the kitchen. They finally are asleep at 9:30.

So where do you sit/go for the three hours between the kids bed time and your own?

We only have 2 children, so that made it easier, when they were small. They would go to bed in the roof, and we would sit downstairs in bad weather, or just outside the door in the summer. If you have to have one of them downstairs with you though, then it only really leaves outside which may be a problem in bad weather, you might have to consider a driveaway awning to get more space, cook in and put your toilet that you mentioned in.

IMG_20230515_115330.jpg

VW Cali Beach simulator. Brandrup mattress and two chairs for the driver and passanger.

Which vehicle ?

Our experience is that it’s easiest if you can all go to bed at the same time in the van. We let the kids stay up a bit later than at home and be prepared to wake up a bit earlier. As they’ve grown older, the sleep and wake times have each become later.

This is just our experience and what has worked for us; my only suggestion would be to try different routines and use this to establish which works best for your family.

Which vehicle ?
She made a Beach simulator in the kid’s room so it’ll be a Beach. You are right though, too many posters don’t say which version they actually have.

I presume you are getting a Beach? If you have an Ocean, you would be cooking in the van. Toilet - PortaPotti 335 this can be stored either in the back, or in the passenger section, we keep ours behind the front passenger seat.

If you put the kids to sleep in the upstairs bed, then you can stay downstairs, or if it’s nice weather, you can sit outside. I tend to use my iPad with earphones to watch Netflix or YouTube, or if the kids want to stay up later - you can play games in the van - we play cards, Scrabble, Yahtzee.

I have a T5 Caravelle right now and a T6.1 Beach Tour on order to replace it. Delivery s expected in August. I have slept in the Caravelle a number of times. A few times with the eldest but never with more than one or as a family.

She made a Beach simulator in the kid’s room so it’ll be a Beach. You are right though, too many posters don’t say which version they actually have.
You'll need some covered outdoor space then, especially if staying in UK or Northern Europe, for cooking etc.
We found when touring with 5 kids, we had a 7 berth touring caravan, the kids being outdoors all day, playing with friends on campsites etc; were more than ready to settle down of an evening. The older ones read their books/comics and the younger ones just collapsed, and you won't be far behind them.

We are a family with a Beach and 3 kids (7,5,3). Our current configuration is for 3 kids up top (top and tailed), which at present there is just about enough space for. We then either stay downstairs and read/watch an iPad or if the weather is nice sit outside. Generally the kids sleep very well as we have usually exhausted them during the day. Chatting quietly in the van or outside doesn’t usually disturb them.

As they grow, we will need to alter the sleeping arrangements and will probably swap them downstairs for the extra width and the wife and I upstairs. Will have to find a fairly quiet method of getting up-top without disturbing the kids though.

Last edited:
I have a T5 Caravelle right now and a T6.1 Beach Tour on order to replace it. Delivery s expected in August. I have slept in the Caravelle a number of times. A few times with the eldest but never with more than one or as a family.
You could venture £100 (ono) and go for that awning on the next thread. That would give you the extra space and you could have a well earned glass of wine when the kids are tucked up in the van.

A small camping toilet is required, but where do you put it for traveling and critically for use?
I didn’t want a big lump of a toilet and a load of blue chemicals, but my girls need a toilet and have found this to work well. It collapses to about a 10cm deep toilet seat which can slot in many places through the van. We don’t often bother setting it up (1 min job) on campsites, unless we’re a long way from the facilities.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0813G6NHW/?tag=eliteelect-21

We are a family of 5 and a dog in a 3 seat Beach. We sleep me and eldest (12) on lower bed, husband and middle (10) up top and 8 year old on an amazing roll out bed across the front seats. We did start with me, eldest and youngest on the downstairs bed but they kept arguing and I’d spend all night making sure they didn’t squash each other! The only thing with the cab bed is that we have to keep both seats facing forward now to set it up whereas before we kept the passenger seat round and it was more roomy! We have a Portapotti behind the passenger seat and the dog sleeps behind the drivers seat! It is snug! We started off putting the kids to bed around 8.30/9 and we’d stay up outside until 10ish but now we tend to all go to bed around 9/9.30 and read. We tow a trailer which has all our camping stuff in, I have no idea how people cope with having all their stuff in the boot! We have a drive away awning but we’ve only used it once.
We have the VanEssa bags in the back which we use for the stuff there is no place for when the bed put such as clothes just taken off and other bits and bobs, then in the day all the pyjamas and kids soft toys and books go in them. For the portapotti we use the green sachets or nothing if it’s only a 1-2 nighter.

Do you intend to stay on sites ?

my kids are now well into their teens, so their idea of entertainment is based around ipad / phone etc, however when they were younger my wife and I would plan the days & evening to keep the kids entertained.

it makes a big difference when you have kids.
Toilets on site, other kids, potentially play areas or areas to run feral etc.
(some of our best memories of the kids when very young were watching them in the failing light running referral and playing with other kids onsite - doing what kids used to do ! )

If the weather is good, fire up a BBQ and make it the Evening event, involving / engaging the older kids.
use the BBQ as a fire pit after you’ve finish cooking
If the weather is poor gas cook in the Hub

forage for long (2ft) thin sticks during the day (for marsh mallows).

whittle the ends to remove the bark, under close supervison (1:1)

teach the kids how to make & start a fire & the dangers of fire and how to stay safe and put out a fire out safely (if required).

Cook pop corn, marsh mallows, s’mores etc. After the BBQ cools slightly.

invite the parents of other kids whom yours have been playing with during the stay to come over after Tea (Supervision: many hands make light work),

create a family game to tire the kids out During the day or go for a walk (ice cream shop, local Pub etc).

Star gazing - some good apps to make it a bit more informed

A pop up tent or a Hub type tent take up a relatively small amount of space in the van and can add a huge space for you onsite.
create an area which can be used for play and chill out in the evening when it gets cool.
Play card games, parlour games etc or any other fav board game, we keep games in the van always under the three seater bench - we still do to this to this day and we regularly play cards etc with the kids.

light it up with Luci solar string lights (white led ones have three brightness settings) and can be strung from the Hub / tent frame To give mood lighting or enough light to read by.
use the hub as the parents Area Evening drinks and chill out area whilst listening to the kids chatter away in the van (when they should be asleep! )

lets the kids stay up later and sleep in later.
Bec time camp fire story in PJs

Bring more Alcohol ! (not for the kids)

Bring a small paddling pool, water pistols, water bombs etc if it’s a scorcher and your on a kid friendly site.

Enjoy the time when the kids are young, go with the flow & use positive bribery at every possible opportunity :rolleyes:

We are a family of 5 and a dog in a 3 seat Beach. We sleep me and eldest (12) on lower bed, husband and middle (10) up top and 8 year old on an amazing roll out bed across the front seats. We did start with me, eldest and youngest on the downstairs bed but they kept arguing and I’d spend all night making sure they didn’t squash each other! The only thing with the cab bed is that we have to keep both seats facing forward now to set it up whereas before we kept the passenger seat round and it was more roomy! We have a Portapotti behind the passenger seat and the dog sleeps behind the drivers seat! It is snug! We started off putting the kids to bed around 8.30/9 and we’d stay up outside until 10ish but now we tend to all go to bed around 9/9.30 and read. We tow a trailer which has all our camping stuff in, I have no idea how people cope with having all their stuff in the boot! We have a drive away awning but we’ve only used it once.
We have the VanEssa bags in the back which we use for the stuff there is no place for when the bed put such as clothes just taken off and other bits and bobs, then in the day all the pyjamas and kids soft toys and books go in them. For the portapotti we use the green sachets or nothing if it’s only a 1-2 nighter.

[mention]Pombear4 [/mention] Which roll out bed are you using in the cab? I’m using 3 foam rectangles and they take up too much room! Thanks.

A pop up tent or a Hub type tent take up a relatively small amount of space in the van and can add a huge space for you onsite.

Thanks for the tip. I think a small tent or awning will be needed for all the stuff. It seems that campsites will be the best option.

[mention]Pombear4 [/mention] Which roll out bed are you using in the cab? I’m using 3 foam rectangles and they take up too much room! Thanks.
We have this one
It’s still a bit bulky as we have the 3” foam but it’s really easy to install.

Thanks for the tip. I think a small tent or awning will be needed for all the stuff. It seems that campsites will be the best option.
Update your profile to advise which Variant you have and your approximate location , it will help others give you more targeted responses as far as sites etc.

have a look at Eurohike event shelter (with removable sides and mesh windows) packs up small and is a large extra space when erected. (See photo)

you’ll learn what works for you after a couple of trips

4D6939E6-CC6F-4F93-82A1-9002083EBD27.jpeg

Update your profile

Thanks for the tip. Profile updated.

I realise now I joined way back in 2012 when I first look at the Beach. I went for the Caravelle instead as back then the beach was pretty basic as a daily driver. The 6.1 Beach Tour gets as close as can be to the T5 Caravelle. Delivery and swap over expected in August.

Eurohike event shelter

Great tip and the Scottish store Tiso has them on sale too. One is on order. Many thanks.

I have also ordered their smallest capacity port-a-loo as well which was also on sale. I think this will be for emergencies only.

Sat 20 May | California Beach Tour Practice Session #2

Many thanks for the responses to session #1.

Saturday night I move everything we have for the Cali into the dining room / play room for practice session #2.

Since last week I have bought a Eurocamp shelter and small porta-a-loo in the Tiso sale. An Easybase in the Thule sale along with levelers. Easybag, upper bunk saftynet and windscreen cover all second hand on eBay. A two piece ladder is on order from the forum shop.

I have gone through my hillwalking gear and picked out what is needed for family camping. All of this has been put in a Really Useful plastic box for the back of the camper.

So much stuff for three days/two nights away with kids 7, 5 and 2.

Changes from last session. The kids need to swap their trunkies for soft bags to use on the top bunk. This week they are using a couple of my motorcycle pannier inside bags.

Max 5 asks - has the campervan arrived yet? No it might be here in August.

Poppy 7 asks - how much is the campervan going to cost? - a lot of money, I reply. - can I help? - sure; how much have you got? - ten pounds 23p.

Poppy observes - so it is like bunk beds in the campervan. We sleep on the top bunk and you sleep on the bottom one.

The Brandrup mattress and two chairs are the Beach simulator. I sit in the kitchen, the virtual awning.

They are ready for bed at 8pm. Poppy and Max in their sleeping bags in the playroom, Leo upstairs.

Max is up and weepy at 9:30 saying he is too hot and can't sleep. He wants to go to his bedroom. In the morning I find Poppy has also sloped off to her own bed during the night. She says she was scared in the playroom on her own after being told the neighbors saw an adder snake in the garden

More stuff needed:

Mattress protector and sheets for upper bunk. A thin blanket for when it is warm. Sleeping bag when cold.

Pack a bag for breakfast bowls, cutlery, cereals and milk.

Use their regular swim bags for toiletries, their towels and emergency change of clothes.

Sat 20 May | California Beach Tour Practice Session #2

Many thanks for the responses to session #1.

Saturday night I move everything we have for the Cali into the dining room / play room for practice session #2.

Since last week I have bought a Eurocamp shelter and small porta-a-loo in the Tiso sale. An Easybase in the Thule sale along with levelers. Easybag, upper bunk saftynet and windscreen cover all second hand on eBay. A two piece ladder is on order from the forum shop.

I have gone through my hillwalking gear and picked out what is needed for family camping. All of this has been put in a Really Useful plastic box for the back of the camper.

So much stuff for three days/two nights away with kids 7, 5 and 2.

Changes from last session. The kids need to swap their trunkies for soft bags to use on the top bunk. This week they are using a couple of my motorcycle pannier inside bags.

Max 5 asks - has the campervan arrived yet? No it might be here in August.

Poppy 7 asks - how much is the campervan going to cost? - a lot of money, I reply. - can I help? - sure; how much have you got? - ten pounds 23p.

Poppy observes - so it is like bunk beds in the campervan. We sleep on the top bunk and you sleep on the bottom one.

The Brandrup mattress and two chairs are the Beach simulator. I sit in the kitchen, the virtual awning.

They are ready for bed at 8pm. Poppy and Max in their sleeping bags in the playroom, Leo upstairs.

Max is up and weepy at 9:30 saying he is too hot and can't sleep. He wants to go to his bedroom. In the morning I find Poppy has also sloped off to her own bed during the night. She says she was scared in the playroom on her own after being told the neighbors saw an adder snake in the garden

More stuff needed:

Mattress protector and sheets for upper bunk. A thin blanket for when it is warm. Sleeping bag when cold.

Pack a bag for breakfast bowls, cutlery, cereals and milk.

Use their regular swim bags for toiletries, their towels and emergency change of clothes.
I would put myself in the category of a planner and over thinker but you are perhaps taking that to a new level here. I am not criticising or being rude just pointing out that maybe you would be better off waiting until the van arrives and if necessary do your practice in the drive or better still a local campsite. I think your kids will be much more excited about the situation if they are on a real trip in the van, which may lead to it working out better in terms of sleeping etc.
It sounds like you have a good set of kit now and just need to try it. You will only really find out which bits of that kit you like / don't like and need / don't need when you go. We have been campervanning for about 13 years now with 3 different vans across that time, the latest of which we have had for 2 years and I think even now every few months we refine our kit again, dropping things we don't use enough and replacing other things with better or smaller versions. It takes along time to get to that point. You eventually need to take the minimum necessary to still make it nice otherwise you end up moving it around in circles constantly.

Max is up and weepy at 9:30 saying he is too hot and can't sleep
I have just put a short review In the “what have you bought” thread for a cover less quilt that I bought for that exact same reason = sleeping bags too hot

post 6168

I would put myself in the category of a planner and over thinker but you are perhaps taking that to a new level here. I am not criticising or being rude just pointing out that maybe you would be better off waiting until the van arrives and if necessary do your practice in the drive or better still a local campsite. I think your kids will be much more excited about the situation if they are on a real trip in the van, which may lead to it working out better in terms of sleeping etc.
It sounds like you have a good set of kit now and just need to try it. You will only really find out which bits of that kit you like / don't like and need / don't need when you go. We have been campervanning for about 13 years now with 3 different vans across that time, the latest of which we have had for 2 years and I think even now every few months we refine our kit again, dropping things we don't use enough and replacing other things with better or smaller versions. It takes along time to get to that point. You eventually need to take the minimum necessary to still make it nice otherwise you end up moving it around in circles constantly.
This is spot on.

Back