Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Cali Trip - Islay and Jura

PC-Flyer

PC-Flyer

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All,

I bought my Cali back in May and have been away a few times in the vehicle but just for one night at a time. Last week was my first big trip, six nights to Islay and Jura. I wondered how I would get in, was the Cali lifestyle for me and my two dogs? How would I feel about wild camping? Would I be happy living in a small space for a week?

Well, it did not start off too well. When I set off from home weather was okay but when I reached Kintyre, it was blowing a storm and raining heavily. It was a wild night in the Cali and had to sleep down stairs as did not want to risk the roof up. It was okay though. Next day, ferry was cancelled due to weather and I spent an entire day with my Cali at the ferry terminal awaiting a space on a ferry. Finally I got to Islay just after 10pm so wild camping it was, about a mile off on a track from the main road. Another damp night but I felt I was doing okay.

Next morning though, it was all change. Blue sky and warm, suddenly I had scenery to look at, views were fantastic and a lovely walk with the dogs and a nice coffee in the fresh morning air. May be this lifestyle would be good after all.

Tuesday night and Thursday night I stayed at a lovely camp site called Kintra Farm, near to Port Ellen. Basic but clean facilities and you could pitch amongst the dunes with a beautiful 7 mole stretch of beach. Life was indeed better. So what happened to Wednesday night? That I have saved to last as I wild camped on Jura at Corran beach. Lovely evening sat watching the bay, the rocky island and the small fishing boats. Next morning, the cloud was low but the sun was rising behind the rocky islands and the view and tranquility was amazing

My Cali was a pleasure to drive, I could go anywhere a car could go and I loved every minute of the holiday. Even being confined to the Cali in the poor weather did not seem a problem but the sunny days no stunning views made it so worthwhile. Sleeping in the roof or just lying there listening to nature or the Atlantic rollers was lovely.

So am I convinced about my Cali, oh yes and now want to plan another trip and soon. I have read some posts where people have been unsure whether they will get used to the Cali, hopefully this will reassure them as I had my doubts but now love my Cali and best investment I have made. We will be doing many miles together

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great to read that your first "big" trip turned out better than expected! I like the picture with your Cali next to the beach and sea. How did you managed it with your two dogs? Did they feel okay? I guess (used to dogs but not an owner) it is important for you and your dogs that the Cali fits both of your needs.

Hi Sapto,

My Newfoundland was okay, she is nervous so took a while to get used to opening doors, lifting roofs and noises. She likes to be outside so was quite happy sleeping on the grass near to van during the evening but when it went dark, she then clambered in and snoozed on the floor. My small collie cross however loves the van, more an adventure playground to explore and is in the van as soon as it is opened whether I tell her to or not. Not sure I will be able to travel to far with the Newfoundland but sadly she is quite old now

unnamed.jpg I camped a couple of nights overlooking the Sound of Jura at Carsaig Bay last year. It's a really beautiful area whatever the weather. I would definitely like to visit the island one day. Your Cali matched the colour of the sea :thumb

unnamed.jpg

Thanks James H,

I would definitely recommend Jura. People say it is the wild island with not much there except deer when compared to Islay but I really loved. The two islands are very different but wonderful. The people are really friendly. Definitely worth the visit. I was camped at Corran, down a grass track about 100metres from road and room for several vehicles to wild camp

Back