Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First holiday review plus other thoughts....

Gavin123

Gavin123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
So after buying our Ocean T6 back in early March we finally managed to get away for 6 nights at Trewan Hall in Cornwall. My comments on post lockdown travel elsewhere. I thought it worthwhile listing a few thoughts on our first trip, many of which I'm sure you will have all experienced had similar thoughts! To add detail we are a family of four with two boys ages 11 and 13. Im 6' 6" which perhaps adds some perspective too. We used a Kampa awning which was priceless IMO. We dismantled it on the last night to facilitate an early getaway and slept four in the van. OK for a limited trip but if six nights I would probably have divorced by now. The other nights I slept in the awning. I used a Thermarest 3d mondoking in xl size which was utterly brilliant and worth every penny. We cooked the smelly stuff outside on a Cadac.

A lot of things obviously we knew about but some items are just frustrations!

Things we liked:
  1. Flexibility of the Cali - bedroom, living space, car, changing room, kitchen etc;
  2. Size - easy to park and drive;
  3. Heater - lovely on a couple of evenings;
  4. Sliding windows - brilliant in operation and just right size;
  5. Other Cali owners waving - although if you waved at me apologies if I didn't wave back - it took a while until I realised it was a Cali related thing!!
  6. Fuel economy - amazing run back from Cornwall on much less than a tank full.

Things we didn't like:
  1. The shelves under the sink/hob - pretty useless. We tried the Ikea boxes someone else suggested and it helped but a bit awkward;
  2. Lack of inbuilt hanging/storage for bits and bobs thus relying on ad-hoc solutions or aftermarket add ons;
  3. having to disengage the handbrake to turn the drivers seat - for the love of god, how did this ever leave the factory design dept like this!!!??
  4. Having to remove the rear shelf/contents of the lower cupd to turn off the gas at the tank - again a very sub standard solution;
  5. Glass tops to cooker, fridge and sink - look lovely but utterly impracticable - anyone make aftremarket stainless steel ones?
  6. Seat covering material - again, looks good but for a campervan completely impracticable necessitating an aftermarket solution.
Couple of questions:
  • Anyone had a rattle from the rear metal bed extension thingie where it locates in the rear righthand socket? Seems like the frame is warped (I know its not technically correct term but sums it up well). Had to ram some kitchen towel in there to stop it rattling at night whenever youngest son was wiggling around.
  • Waste tank not showing as full/part full even though it was... any ideas? Sensor issue?
  • Where awning attaches to the van - seems very tight tolerance between attachment and sliding door - took a few goes to get this to work properly - any ideas if I've done something wrong in the fitting?
  • Fridge swimming in condensation (I guess) at the bottom - is this normal?

Gav

Reactions: Sad
Things we didn't like:
- having to disengage the handbrake to turn the drivers seat - for the love of god, how did this ever leave the factory design dept like this

You'll get used to it

Having to remove the rear shelf/contents of the lower cupd to turn off the gas at the tank - again a very sub standard solution

We, like I think alot of people, just used the shut-off under in the cupboard

Couple of questions:
  • Anyone had a rattle from the rear metal bed extension thingie where it locates in the rear righthand socket? Seems like the frame is warped (I know its not technically correct term but sums it up well). Had to ram some kitchen towel in there to stop it rattling at night whenever youngest son was wiggling around.
does it look like there could be a missing rubber grommet?
  • Waste tank not showing as full/part full even though it was... any ideas? Sensor issue?
Normal
  • Fridge swimming in condensation (I guess) at the bottom - is this normal?
Normal, a piece of thick plastic mesh in the bottom can help to hold things out of the worst of it

Back