Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First night in new t5 and learning...

Cemswood

Cemswood

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
All tucked up in my duvalay, but wish I hadn't bought them as they take up too much room and they won't fit in the zipped bag that came with them.would have been better buying a good sleeping bag. I would be amazed if you could get 4 people in here, just me and the 11 year old and the dog and it's cramped. Still, really glad I bought her but it will take a lot organising I think and downsizing.

All tucked up in my duvalay, but wish I hadn't bought them as they take up too much room and they won't fit in the zipped bag that came with them.would have been better buying a good sleeping bag. I would be amazed if you could get 4 people in here, just me and the 11 year old and the dog and it's cramped. Still, really glad I bought her but it will take a lot organising I think and downsizing.
Ha, you'll get there. It's a massive contradiction but we try to "chill out with military organisation" if that makes sense. Don't worry about bedding, we pack it all away on the rear parcel shelf in the morning and only set it all up when it's lights out time. Plenty of room for 2 in each bed btw. Quite stressful on your first trip but practice and familiarity will sort out your essentials and routine. :thumb

Still working out what to pack when we have our first weekend away.. But a step nearer we have booked some sites in Scotland at Easter will do for a start ..

Remember you have a heater. I just use a 2 part quilt from Argus. Cover on each section. Winter - sleep on low tog, high tog over
Summer - sleep on high tog, low tog over or just sheet.
If it is cold then heater is on, all night on 1 or 2. Both quilts fit in quilt storage bag on parcel shelf.
That's for downstairs. Upstairs 3 season sleeping bag.

Spot on . Will get those sorted .. What about a cali topper .. Does it make that much difference?

I used my Duvalay for 15 months straight on my extended tour, loved it as even in Bulgaria in winter it kept me warm, although I soon took the hint and headed for Istanbul and beyond to find warmer weather. I was solo for the whole time though so it was OK in the van space wise.

Spot on . Will get those sorted .. What about a cali topper .. Does it make that much difference?
It does. There are external and internal that can be left in place with roof down. I use an external when rain is guaranteed during winter so that the canvas is kept dry. Don't bother in summer as it is easier to dry canvas out, not so easy in winter.
Forum partner Comfortz has both.

I'll be interested to see your progress over the next few days/weeks. We all, I'm sure do much the same but of course we use different components. Use the experience of members here to help choose items that add to your experience. For me, being tidy and organised is important. The Cali is big enough but I don't want it cluttered and it's important to know where everything is and where stuff goes. We have a routine, jobs I do and those my partner does. Pretty sure most people on here do the same.
Good luck and enjoy your experience. Oh, and it will get better as the weather improves.

We use a Kyham Camper Cozi when rain is guaranteed in the Winter. Don't bother so much in the summer.
Regards having a tidy van we often look like a "kit" bomb has gone off inside so we have to periodically put stuff away.

We're off to Cornwall tomorrow for next leg. It was a bit if a nightmare last night but think more sorted after the experience. I have a wheelchair and so have a lift fitted to the side, and I didn't think I could leave that metal bed extension piece in situ as need to have seat quite far back to get chair in. Anyway turns out I can, with headrests folded back, get seat forward enough to keep metal thing in place, so one less job to do when get there. Chair goes out when we get anywhere and I need to try out the wind out awning so it can go under there with its cover on. The duvalays are a bit big. One I can handle but getting the other all seasons one up in the roof for my son was a right pain. As was suggested I think a duvet would be better as its the memory foam bit that is the prob. I was worried downstairs mattress wouldn't be comfy enough as I have a dodgy back. So think they were an expensive buy for what they are, as I think 2 duvets would be more manageable. Anyway will see how I feel after tomorrow night as tonight we're cheating in a hotel in Liverpool!

The first nights away are indeed a bit more nerveous on how things will turn out , and the fact you have a wheelchairs brings out a whole other view on camping offcoarse ....the pieces will fall in place afther a few trips.
We had also things we bought or thought were good at the start, and never used or did it a difrrent way in the end.
Just enjoy....
Ps , i always sleep in my "hotel"...;)

I had a better nights sleep, comfort wise in the Cali then I did in the hotel :) looking forward to next leg and back in the Cali (Luna)!

Any new camper has a period of uncertainty and disorganisation. It takes a little while to work out the best process and place for everything but you will get there. After a prelonged stay I always find I come to the realisation we have too much stuff at home and I wonder why we need it all for a while after.

We used the heater on number 2 overnight once - was like a sauna. We strictly use number 1 now and use sleeping bags that can roll up into bags and fit nicely into the wardrobe with a selection of fleece rugs and camping pillows (that again roll up into nice little bags).

We also took far too much equipment and gear the first time and we have been consistently taking stuff out that we don't use after each trip. Just need to work out the best way to transport the dogs without having to crate them then we will have the rear bench totally free for more stuff we don't need. ;)

Still in the process of getting ready for the first real trip. And I am sure we are planning to bring too much. One thing I am wondering where to put the blanket and pillows. Is it possible to store (flat) blankets in the topped, when the roof is closed? Or no go?

Still in the process of getting ready for the first real trip. And I am sure we are planning to bring too much. One thing I am wondering where to put the blanket and pillows. Is it possible to store (flat) blankets in the topped, when the roof is closed? Or no go?

There can be a tin sleeping bag left on top off the matrass and still close the roof...
But always check if the roof is fully closed!
Also know that if you leave it up there and the next day the weather is bad and you do not want to raise the roof or you want sleep below while "incognito" ....your sleepingbag is out of reach...
Lots on storage

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-goes-where.5024/#post-43519

And a look at mine....
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/inside-the-hotel-california-for-your-eyes-only.9776/#post-90744

There can be a tin sleeping bag left on top off the matrass and still close the roof...
But always check if the roof is fully closed!
Also know that if you leave it up there and the next day the weather is bad and you do not want to raise the roof or you want sleep below while "incognito" ....your sleepingbag is out of reach...
Lots on storage

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-goes-where.5024/#post-43519

And a look at mine....
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/inside-the-hotel-california-for-your-eyes-only.9776/#post-90744

HAHA … you are right! Did not think of that. Better keep the important stuff accessable ;-)

We keep our duvets and pillows in vacuum bags from Argus. Suck the air out with an air-bed pump (one that sucks as well as blows) and they go extremely flat and take up very little storage space on the parcel shelf.

Despite we have been using vacuum bags for a long time when traveling with kitesurf equipment, it never struck me to use it in the C. But yesterday I put our new Rooftop and Windshield cover (Comfortz Leisure) in one bag each, and they actually fits in the compartment with the two chairs. I am very happy with that, and I just rolled the air out, no need for pumping, they ar not quite that compact, but it is much faster. Btw. the bags was from IKEA.

Remember you have a heater. I just use a 2 part quilt from Argus. Cover on each section. Winter - sleep on low tog, high tog over
Summer - sleep on high tog, low tog over or just sheet.
If it is cold then heater is on, all night on 1 or 2. Both quilts fit in quilt storage bag on parcel shelf.
That's for downstairs. Upstairs 3 season sleeping bag.
I think I'll go with this option. I slept downstairs and my son upstairs and it wasn't incredibly comfortable without the memory foam bit of the duvalays which I took out as they were just way too big. I'm presuming upstairs is more comfortable. I think 2 duvets in sep covers, 1 that you can lie on would be the way to go. I'll try that next time. Thanks!

Despite we have been using vacuum bags for a long time when traveling with kitesurf equipment, it never struck me to use it in the C. But yesterday I put our new Rooftop and Windshield cover (Comfortz Leisure) in one bag each, and they actually fits in the compartment with the two chairs. I am very happy with that, and I just rolled the air out, no need for pumping, they ar not quite that compact, but it is much faster. Btw. the bags was from IKEA.
Agree we've large bags from Amazon,just roll the air out. Used for duvet & 2 pillows when we hired a Cali. Also useful for bulky ski clothes in luggage.

We like our sleeping bags, summer and winter ones for each season, they pack small and fit easily in the wardrobe with plenty room to spare. Also sleep up top, plenty of room.

I know where you are coming from. But with a bit of judicial thought, you will get there. I bring the suck 'em bags and have a small Dyson hand held to sick the air out. You would be surprised at how the duvets shrink.

What make of vac bags do people use, I've used a few at home but they always seem to spring a leak. Open a cupboard and it looks like an airbag has gone off.

Back