Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First test drive today

Hedley Wright

Hedley Wright

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all

Had a Motorhome for a while a few years ago. It got less use than I expected so I sold it. Retirement looms and I fancy a campervan which will get used as my runabout and for impromptu short breaks.

Had back to back accompanied test drives in a California Beach and a Marco Polo this afternoon. Although I liked the better handling of the MP, as I’m 6ft 5in the awning would be too low for me (about 11cm lower than the VW). Also it isn’t as well sorted for camping, at least from my point of view.

So next step is to hire one for a few nights before I commit. Struggling to find anything available on East Anglia so will probably have to drive down to London.

Welcome Hedley Wright
Sounds like you do it just the right way: test drive and hire. I guess you know a lot about camping so finding the right vehicle is easy for you. Keep my fingers crossed and hope you find a dealer to hire. Keep us posted about your decision and your 1st days away in a California.

Good luck with your search it will be worthwhile traveling to find one to hire if it confirms your choice.

Not much on here will doubt your decision to drop out on the MP !
Welcome :thumb

Good luck with your search it will be worthwhile traveling to find one to hire if it confirms your choice.
Thank you. I managed to find one locally, being delivered to me on Tuesday for a three night hire

Thank you. I managed to find one locally, being delivered to me on Tuesday for a three night hire
Hi Hadley do you mind me asking which co hired you a van (as a fellow East Anglian)
Thank you

Not at all ;). Mildenhire. They don’t advertise it, I was tipped off by a dealer.

Did you try any VW dealers?
I thought that most VW lifestyle dealers will hire out their demo California and if you decide to buy, refund the hire charge.

Did you try any VW dealers?
I thought that most VW lifestyle dealers will hire out their demo California and if you decide to buy, refund the hire charge.
That would make sense. When I asked the dealer he suggested Mildenhire. Another time (hopefully there won't be one) I will ring round dealers, thanks.