Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Trip but now no power to 12V socket or interior light

JJJ

JJJ

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We've just got back from our first weekend trip. An effortless 500 miles to the Lakes and back for a days walking out of Borrowdale in inclement weather. What a difference compared to camping!

Only one problem. We've just arrived home to find that the main interior light and the 12V 20A socket doesn't work. All other auxiliary sockets the 240V outlet (on hook up) are working fine, as is everything off the starter battery.

I'm guessing it's a blown fuse but don't know why as the outlet was only used to charge a tablet, and why would the light fail too? We are under warranty so will be covered if it's something more serious but it's bugging me as I'm used to fixing things myself but don't know where to start in this instance.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any advice / help gratefully received...

We've just got back from our first weekend trip. An effortless 500 miles to the Lakes and back for a days walking out of Borrowdale in inclement weather. What a difference compared to camping!

Only one problem. We've just arrived home to find that the main interior light and the 12V 20A socket doesn't work. All other auxiliary sockets and the 240V outlet (on hook up) are working fine, as is everything off the starter battery.

I'm guessing it's a blown fuse but don't know why as the outlet was only used to charge a tablet, and why would the light fail too? We are under warranty so will be covered if it's something more serious but it's bugging me as I'm used to fixing things myself but don't know where to start in this instance.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any advice / help gratefully received...
As far as I am aware the Leisure Lights and 12v sockets should be on separate circuits. So either 2 circuits have blown, possible but unlikely, or there is a wiring fault.
As it is under warranty, I would suggest a visit to the Dealership is required.

Thanks both. I've found the fuse above and yes it's blown, replacements now on order. This site and its posters are epic. Thanks again...

Glad you fixed it. Where in borrow dale did you camp? Is it Seathwaite farm or Slaithwaite farm where you drive long the very narrow lane. Dry stone wall one side and a huge sticky out boulder on the other. Is it open year round? What walks did you do? I've done Eagle crag and Castle crag from there and got Lost attempting great gable.

We stayed at the Chapel House Farm. I know the campsite you mean, it's further down - more remote and a lot more spartan, nice river though. The weather was rotten so we walked up to Styhead Ghyll to the tarn from Seathwaite then up and over to Sprinkling Tarn and back down Grains. It was my son's first proper walk in the Lakes and the first of many to come!

I've had the interior light fuse blow and replaced it last weekend. I didn't test the 12V socket to know if it had gone as well or not.

The fuse in the centre console bit and it's a case of getting down low, virtually lying on the floor to get access to it. A head torch or similar is useful.

As you're a VIP member, there is a VERY useful fuse layout guide you can find here...

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/resources/fuse-card-picture-layout.176/

For the interior light, it's 2nd one from the top of the picture, left hand side.

Note you'll have to buy some spare fuses...there are no spares kept in the or around the fuse box.

Thanks. The layout is quite different to that in our Beach.
If you referring to the fuses under the seat this might be a guide. Rear 12v sockets are normally fed from the leisure supply.
T6_Ocean_Fuses.png

The blocks of 3 are sometimes in a different order but the sizes of the fuses are a good clue as to what you are looking for.

Fixed! I replaced the 15A fuse according to larrylamb's link and the light and 20A socket are back online.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Back