Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach - 20A 12V socket + 2 lights failed at same time, any clues on how to fix?

podge

podge

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi

We have a 2018 Beach with the additional comfort lighting, and an electrical issue on it where the internal 20A / 12V socket above the 3 pin hookup socket + the rearmost light on that side of the van + the wide LED light above where the sink would be on an Ocean have failed at the same time.

Everything else works fine off the leisure battery

We've tried replacing all 20A and above fuses in the fuse box under the passenger seat without any success.

Anyone had anything similar on their vans and got any clues as to what needs fixing at all? Have looked at the various fuse diagrams that have been uploaded to this site - but nothing looks appropriate to the issues we are seeing

It's booked in for warranty work on another issue in September, and will ask them to take a look if I can't get it corrected before (we're going away in the van for 2 x 4 night breaks before then and would like it fixed before then if poss)

Cheers

Pic of my fuse board attached if that helps....20180801_172629065_iOS.jpg

Hi

We have a 2018 Beach with the additional comfort lighting, and an electrical issue on it where the internal 20A / 12V socket above the 3 pin hookup socket + the rearmost light on that side of the van + the wide LED light above where the sink would be on an Ocean have failed at the same time.

We've tried replacing all 20A and above fuses in the fuse box under the passenger seat without any success.

Anyone had anything similar on their vans and got any clues as to what needs fixing at all? Have looked at the various fuse diagrams that have been uploaded to this site - but nothing looks appropriate to the issues we are seeing

It's booked in for warranty work on another issue in September, and will ask them to take a look if I can't get it corrected before (we're going away in the van for 2 x 4 night breaks before then and would like it fixed before then if poss)

Cheers

Pic of my fuse board attached if that helps....View attachment 36141
The 12v socket might be rated for 20 amps but it is fused at 15 amps. I would check the 15 amp fuses under the Passenger Seat.

Hi

Cheers

Pic of my fuse board attached if that helps....View attachment 36141

Yes, Welshgas is right. It's fused at 15A. The fuse you want to change is the lower 15A one next to the big 100A block (fuse?). I had to do the same last week due to some shocking stupidity on my part.

Top marks to both of you - thanks a lot!

It was exactly that fuse Epic, many thanks. Can't see why they would put a 15A fuse on a 20A rated socket at all..

If anyone is excited by seeing a blown fuse - see below.

Thanks again, I'll henceforth keep a stash of spare fuses in the van

20180802_182624837_iOS.jpg

Top marks to both of you - thanks a lot!

It was exactly that fuse Epic, many thanks. Can't see why they would put a 15A fuse on a 20A rated socket at all..

If anyone is excited by seeing a blown fuse - see below.

Thanks again, I'll henceforth keep a stash of spare fuses in the van

View attachment 36155

Glad it worked. I spend half an hour identifying the culprit. I now keep of couple of those in the van too. Halfords or Amazon.

It is most odd. Would there be any harm in upgrading the fuse to 20A?
Yes if the wiring is not rated to carry it, you would risk a fire.
If you need that amount of current, say for a compressor or a kettle ;) install a socket in the seat base close to the leisure battery with the correct cable and fuse.

It is most odd. Would there be any harm in upgrading the fuse to 20A?
Well the OP already managed to blow the 15amp fuse. With a 20 amp fuse in place, if whatever was plugged in blew that then you would end up with a slagged socket as well as the wiring loom.

If anyone wants to upgrade the fuse - Do let us know how you get on.:Nailbiting

Back