Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First VW GC 680 Road Trip

So here’s the info; vehicle battery is under the drivers footwell (with jump-start connectors under the bonnet, if needed). The leisure battery is under the bonnet, and is 95 amp hours (I think).
I‘ve coping fine off grid. It’s been warm so the fridge has been working hard, but it’s been pretty sunny too (solar is a must, either factory or self-fit). Now I am in Turkey at the moment, so that’s a factor. I fully expect to fit additional batteries in the electrical cupboard once I know what I’m dealing with, along with a proper inverter (the fitted inverter is only 300 watts, and I think is connected to the vehicle battery - with a pretty sensitive cut off). I hope that helps.
I couldn't find any reference to an AC inverter in the spec. Is this standard fit? Does it power all of the AC outlets?

There is an inverter, 300w that is under the left seat along with a socket. It’s the same spec if you ordered it with a standard Crafter. It’s connected to the vehicle ignition, so pretty useless for camping. And no, not connected to the other sockets which are shore power only.

There is an inverter, 300w that is under the left seat along with a socket. It’s the same spec if you ordered it with a standard Crafter. It’s connected to the vehicle ignition, so pretty useless for camping. And no, not connected to the other sockets which are shore power only.
Thanks for the update - good to know.
I'm thinking that additional solar panels, second auxiliary battery and inverter are needed for off-grid living then.

Thanks for the update - good to know.
I'm thinking that additional solar panels, second auxiliary battery and inverter are needed for off-grid living then.
I’m starting to see some quality additional battery solutions coming out. I was worried that the electronics are all too interconnected to start fitting additional electrical kit, but it seems entirely possible. Solutions include:
- straight replacement of leisure battery under the bonnet with a lithium. Very easy, but lithium hates the cold so won’t be for people who winter camp.
- a huge haul of lithium in the cupboard next to the electrical one (over 400 a/hr I recall). It consumed the cupboard, along with the charger, inverter etc. Needed new wiring to the alternator.
- 150 LIPO under the right hand seat with the inverter in the elec cupboard. Used mostly existing wiring, and retained the original battery only for the dimable lights. This one was the most impressive, but required a lot of work.
I’m guessing my solution will take the best bits of all these.

I’m starting to see some quality additional battery solutions coming out. I was worried that the electronics are all too interconnected to start fitting additional electrical kit, but it seems entirely possible. Solutions include:
- straight replacement of leisure battery under the bonnet with a lithium. Very easy, but lithium hates the cold so won’t be for people who winter camp.
- a huge haul of lithium in the cupboard next to the electrical one (over 400 a/hr I recall). It consumed the cupboard, along with the charger, inverter etc. Needed new wiring to the alternator.
- 150 LIPO under the right hand seat with the inverter in the elec cupboard. Used mostly existing wiring, and retained the original battery only for the dimable lights. This one was the most impressive, but required a lot of work.
I’m guessing my solution will take the best bits of all these.
A power circuit diagram would be useful if anyone can get it. Can you post links to the update porjects that you have listed pls.

A power circuit diagram would be useful if anyone can get it. Can you post links to the update porjects that you have listed pls.
The 150 LIPO post is here. This is a great forum, but in German. Google Chrome with translate switched on does a pretty good job:

The 150 LIPO post is here. This is a great forum, but in German. Google Chrome with translate switched on does a pretty good job:
You’ll need to log-in to see the pictures - and you MUST see the pictures. Let me know what you think.

You’ll need to log-in to see the pictures - and you MUST see the pictures. Let me know what you think.
Good to see how it all fits in under the seats. Hard to see where the auxiliary power terminal board goes - maybe in the underfloor battery space. If the lighting can be split out there it makes the wiring quite straightforward. He hasn't said anything about the solar setup. If solar is fitted it is probably only charging the underfloor battery. A separate solar panel setup would be needed to connect to the charge controller - not sure where you would fit 200W of solar panels on a GC600.

Back