GC 680 Spare Wheel

• Thread starter Moonlight Motel
  • Start date
Moonlight Motel

Moonlight Motel

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi

We are the proud owners of our new GC680m- "Moonlight Motel" and have just finished our maiden trip. Everything was great but as per the standard spec in Ireland there is no spare wheel. All we get is the self sealing compound and a compressor - all very well with a small puncture but a bigger hole will leave us stuck.

Has anyone retro fitted a spare wheel and supports to a GC680?

Thanks

John

Hi

We are the proud owners of our new GC680m- "Moonlight Motel" and have just finished our maiden trip. Everything was great but as per the standard spec in Ireland there is no spare wheel. All we get is the self sealing compound and a compressor - all very well with a small puncture but a bigger hole will leave us stuck.

Thanks

John
Hi John,

Yes had one fitted at the dealer on its arrival, its a standard Crafter part, when ordering don't forget to order the required tools that are located in the floor passenger side. cost about £500 fitted including parts.

Will

Hi John,

Yes had one fitted at the dealer on its arrival, its a standard Crafter part, when ordering don't forget to order the required tools that are located in the floor passenger side. cost about £500 fitted including parts.

Will
Will
Thanks for that. I will follow up with our local VW dealer
John

Hi

Thanks

John
Hola
Hi

Thanks

John
hola john, por ahí abajo puse la instalación de rueda en G C 600 que es igual que la 680.tienes las referencias tambien.

C1436AF3-A686-4C29-A900-04B92C5454D6.jpeg

7BC10526-4CC4-4E0E-982D-5E309371167A.jpeg

D7A35DBE-53DC-4064-AB50-ED6F715DA67C.jpeg

Zarpas
Many thanks for that. I am going to talk to the local VW dealer in the morning. I can show him the parts list to help the process
Thanks
John
Don't forget it will have an impact on your payload.

Don't forget it will have an impact on your payload.
Thanks WelshGas
We are probably close to the limit all right but will take the chance for the peace of mind that the spare wheel will give us - just means we have to buy our wine as we go;);)

Hi John,

Will
Hi Will, help! I rang Breezes yesterday to explore spare cost - £950? My dealer says it can’t be done… Where can I get one fitted for £500? I have to say that Breezes were good, got back to me around 6, it was just the cost came in a bit steep…

Morning,

Just rechecked my original costs when fitted to my GC 600 £540 then transferred to the 680 for £220. Feel free to quote me.

Looks like Zarpas invoice indicates that not that I can read it fully.

Let’s us know how you get on.

Will

Hi Will, help! I rang Breezes yesterday to explore spare cost - £950? My dealer says it can’t be done… Where can I get one fitted for £500? I have to say that Breezes were good, got back to me around 6, it was just the cost came in a bit steep…
Ask for an itemised quote for parts and labour. Parts might have gone up or labour. Those quotes are almost a year old.
If its Labour that has bumped the price then maybe an Independant garage could do it for less. I presume they would have to use genuine VW parts. Or use an alternative method, such as a rear door wheel carrier.

Morning,

Just rechecked my original costs when fitted to my GC 600 £540 then transferred to the 680 for £220. Feel free to quote me.

Looks like Zarpas invoice indicates that not that I can read it fully.

Let’s us know how you get on.

Will
Thanks Will, I rang Breezes at Poole, Jon was the chap who helped me and I have his e-mail, I will write to him outlining the requirements with the attachments, just to ensue that it is not me causing confusion and inflation…

Will
Thanks for that. I will follow up with our local VW dealer
John
Hello Moonlight Motel,

I also was toying to get a real spare wheel for the GC 600. So, if you could get some information from. you VW Dealer (by the way, which is your local VW dealer?) could you post it / let me know, please?

About the weight of the camper. I will try to go to a weighbridge tomorrow. I will fill up with diesel, fill up the water tank and have a good bit of the standard equipment on board. Can't wait to see how heavy the GC will be and how much payload (if any) will be left.

Happy (slim) Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello Moonlight Motel,

I also was toying to get a real spare wheel for the GC 600. So, if you could get some information from. you VW Dealer (by the way, which is your local VW dealer?) could you post it / let me know, please?

About the weight of the camper. I will try to go to a weighbridge tomorrow. I will fill up with diesel, fill up the water tank and have a good bit of the standard equipment on board. Can't wait to see how heavy the GC will be and how much payload (if any) will be left.

Happy (slim) Grand California,
Eberhard
Hi Eberhard

Sorry I am only getting back to you now. We bought our van directly from VW Ireland and not through a dealer - a long story!! We went to Frank Keane in Liffey Valley, your dealer I believe, to get the spare wheel. Unfortunately they were not able to get the parts before we left for France last year and we are on a one way trip so the van wont be home again anytime soon. We left it in Bordeaux for the winter and in May are heading away until September and will leave our GC680 where we finish.

So we dont have a spare wheel after all that. We might try and get one fitted somewhere on our travels if the opportuinity arises.

Frank Keane will probably be able to sort you out, especially as you are based in Ireland

Sorry I couldnt help more

John

Hi John any Luck.

Wasn’t when I posted got to be quick for bargains

I had been in discussions with the seller for over a week re delivery Had an ebay 20% off voucher pop up at lunch time so hit the buy it now about 2 mins before you posted.
Unfortunately it’s only a steel wheel but will do as a spare. I don’t really like going to Spain etc without a spare.

Just to update this, Ive picked up the spare wheel.
It was for sale as a leftover from a van that was being converted to a camper . The owner had fitted a rear door carrier & mounted a wheel with AT tyre on that.

He runs a small scale operation converting crafters & may be of interest to other GC owners.

I had a look round a conversion that was in progress & came away impressed.

There is a possibility of further spares & the winches coming available & with a fitting service.

He can make bespoke tables.

Can fit solar upgrades & batteries etc.

He is based just off the M1 by Sheffield & has a small workshop thats tall enough to fit even a GC600

If anyone is interested send me a PM & I will share contact details.

Back