Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First wash of new Ocean

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have always enjoyed washing my old T5 by hand, but I want to check my systems now that I am about to give my brand new Ocean its first wash. Are there any special tips for washing a new (2 week old) van?

I have always used autoglym products. My usual system is to rinse off first with a hose pipe. Then, shampoo starting from the top, slowly working my way round, leaving the bottom dirtier parts til last. I rinse off with a hose as I go, fully dry with a chamois and then apply the autoglym extra gloss protection, buffing off with a microfibre cloth. Wheels are included in the pre-rinse, but shampood last with a separate mitt that I keep for wheels only, rinsed and left to air dry. I like to avoid the wheel cleaner chemicals as much as possible.

I also use the super resin polish on the bodywork sparingly - maybe once a year?

Does the above system get a general Cali-forum thumbs up?

Specific questions:
1. Are there any views about the merits of building-up the coats of the extra-gloss protection? That is, will I get better protection applying the product, letting it dry, buffing, reapplying, letting it dry, buffing etc, compared to applying a single coat?

2. Is the alloy wheel sealer worthwhile? I’ve used it in the past and not noticed any real difference, but I am happy to be told otherwise.

3. I have recently been put onto the aqua wax product that you can use in the wet. I will use this at some point, for convenience as much as anything, but does it offer as good results in your opinion?

If not using already, I recommend 2 bucket method, with grit guards in the buckets.

I think that the second bucket is for rinsing water. If so, I think that my hosepipe does that job. Love the idea of the grit guard. I do worry about what’s in the bottom of the bucket. That’s on my shopping list, or a diy version perhaps. Thanks.

You need to go and have a look at https://www.detailingworld.co.uk

The other great place for information is Forensic Detailing on youtube. Some great tests of products.

A snow foam cannon for your pressure washer is a good idea. Bilt Hamber products are good. As already stated, 2 bucket method for keeping your wash mitt grit free. Some will argue, if you need 2 buckets, your van is still too dirty to hand wash. Don't ever use the squeegee blades you see at some hand car wash places to remove water. There are lots of ceramic product around now. I have used Gtechnic wheel armour on my alloys to protect them. They take a while to prep and apply but lasts for around a year.

Be careful, you will become obsessive, if you get into Detailing.

I think that the second bucket is for rinsing water. If so, I think that my hosepipe does that job. Love the idea of the grit guard. I do worry about what’s in the bottom of the bucket. That’s on my shopping list, or a diy version perhaps. Thanks.
Second bucket is for cleaning your microfibre wash mitt (note - NOT SPONGE!). Each time you wipe off dirt using your mitt, you're putting dirt and grime on it. The more dirt on it, the more you'll be rubbing into the paintwork, marring it. Whilst you can use the 'one bucket' to wash your mitt, you're then making that water dirty and putting the same muck and bullets into the mitt and rubbing the paint with it.

Bucket one w/ grit guard - hot and foamy water with appropriate shampoo etc.
Bucket two w/ grit guard - hot water.

Mitt into bucket one, wash a panel, rinse it off thoroughly into bucket two.
Mitt into bucket one, and repeat.

Doing this will reduce the swirl marks and scratches induced by washing and help look after your paintwork.

Second bucket is for cleaning your microfibre wash mitt (note - NOT SPONGE!). Each time you wipe off dirt using your mitt, you're putting dirt and grime on it. The more dirt on it, the more you'll be rubbing into the paintwork, marring it. Whilst you can use the 'one bucket' to wash your mitt, you're then making that water dirty and putting the same muck and bullets into the mitt and rubbing the paint with it.

Doing this will reduce the swirl marks and scratches induced by washing and help look after your paintwork.
That makes perfect sense! Which is probably why I didn’t think of it.
This is the way

That makes perfect sense! Which is probably why I didn’t think of it.
This is the way
If you want to go 'the extra mile', the point around pre-foam is a valid one.

The idea is that the snowfoam expands on/around the dirt particles and lifts them off the surface; then a pressure wash blast sweeps the away. This results in your paintwork being substantially cleaner, meaning that your 'wash bucket' doesnt get so dirty and you minimise the marring risk even more.

For wheels; theres plenty of products on the market, but what you're wanting to look for is an iron fallout remover; which is in essence the brake dust. Most sprays stink to high heaven and react against the iron fallout, turning to a red and detatching it from the wheel, which then helps with a spray, followed by brushing/aggitating for any stubborn staining. Plenty of brushes exist on the market, however I also use an old microfibre mitt as you can be a little less cautious on the wheels, but certainly dont want to mix it with the rest of the vehicle. For that reason, always do the wheels last.

I would definitely recommend a ceramic sealant (G-Techniq etc). They're intended as the top layer of a ceramic coat but they work on paintwork just fine, and provide a good hydrophobic coating as well as a little bit of added protection.

If you really want to be super (SUPER) thorough, even though its new, a light finishing polish (the final polish grade with minimum abrasive properties and cutting compound) would prime the paintwork of other contaminants, followed by a filler to give it a deep gloss (Poorboys Black Hole for example) and then two layers of wax - something with carnauba wax is ideal. Leave it for a day under cover ideally, and then use a ceramic sealant. And naturally, do it on a dry but overcast day. Sun is the enemy when it comes to paintwork preparation/polish/cleaning etc.

Do all of the above, and you'll soon be as sad as me.

If you like cleaning, get a foam gun for your pressure washer. If you like Autoglym they do a nice set of products for your foam gun, Polar Blast, Polar wash, Polar Seal. The seal in particular I find pretty good.

Wow! There really is a lot to this. I’ve heard about ceramics. I already have the autoglym extra gloss protection. Is there room for this in conjunction with a ceramic sealant? Or, does the ceramic supersede it?

OK where do i start, and yes i am in to detailing slightly but very keen to preserve this major investment. I would suggest you find a detailer in your area with a good reputation, we have an excellent one in Basingstoke but their are many out there.
My van was sealed with a ceramic coating after the paintwork was checked , this was followed up with a PPF Paint protection film in the vulnerable areas, ie front, lower door areas, rear bumper etc. Admittedly this is not a cheap excercise but neither is a new van.
Please do not use a chamois, purchase a good microfibre drying towel, they cause less damage and work far better than any chamois. Foam is a good prep before the hand wash but they vary significantly in what they can do, dependent on the PH value of the foam it will either remove the dirt or provide a form of lubricant for your hand wash. There are several products that provide protection and gloss etc that can be applied with a spray and your pressure washer tus removing need for constant polish applications. Youtube does have a few good detailing channels , forensic detailing is one previously mentioned also a guy in Canada is really informative, called "Pan the organizer".
This is a major area with lots of info to take in and make decisions on to much to type in a short reply, happy to respond to questions if you need just PM me .My picture is of the van just after its initial detail .

The second bucket is for cleaning the mitt, so it’s important. Process:

1. Dunk clean mitt in wash bucket
2. Use mitt to clean a *small* section, using the mitt in a circular motion and limited to one panel (gradually working top to bottom)
3. Dunk dirty mitt in rinse bucket
4. Go back step 1 and repeat

You probably only need one grit guard in the rinse bucket, but better safe than sorry. I cannot stand swirls in paintwork, so I’m a bit particular with washing.

:thumb CamperFam put me right on this in post 5 above. Thanks for confirming. And, thanks to everyone for opening the door on detailing.

I assume that it is mainly guys that do this? Or is that just sexist? My wife does a lot of ‘cleaning’ indoors. But ‘cleaning’ clearly isn’t a male trait. Men ‘detail’:)

:thumb CamperFam put me right on this in post 5 above. Thanks for confirming. And, thanks to everyone for opening the door on detailing.

I assume that it is mainly guys that do this? Or is that just sexist? My wife does a lot of ‘cleaning’ indoors. But ‘cleaning’ clearly isn’t a male trait. Men ‘detail’:)
My wife says its the only thing I bother cleaning... so - :D

I do this but also change the mitt after each side of the van, different one for wheels, different towels for each side when drying…. You can go on for ever with this stuff tbh. I don’t wash that often given our climate but when i do I treat it like excercise!

Strange really because I remember washing my first cars with fairy liquid and a scabby cloth!!!.

You need to read the MSDS for Fairy, we were given on a NEBOSH recently with the company name redacted. The details were really really scary!

Hands that do dishes can feel soft as your skin with mild green fairy liquid........
What a Load of Bollocks!

Back