Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you wash your Cali?

ejmoore said:
Don't know that I'm too particular about cleaning the paintwork outside to the very high standards that some people here seem to require. But I would like to wipe down the plastic interior (dashboard etc) without leaving it looking streaky. What to use? I think someone mentioned a damp MF (microfibre?) cloth? Or is there any cleaning agent that would suit?

Also, the inside of the windows are a bit smeary - Windolene? Or is there a special car/camper interior window cleaning solution?

Your advice would be welcome, Cali perfectionists!

Slightly soapy damp MF cloth does most of the job for me. I also vacuum the dash(!) with a soft brush attachment to get rid of the dust. For windows, I have posh stuff but find normal window cleaner stuff to be just as good. Easier to rub away too!

I use Ecover general spray on any surfaces we eat from in the kitchen area and a bit of Cif for tough stuff around the hobs/sink.

A good vacuum helps with the floor - Mieles 2200W cat and dog cylinder jobby does ours very easily. It's not ALL about being OCD - it's partly about making life easy for yourself. Some stuff saves you time in the long run!

I've just got back from Tescos and had the chaps in the carpark wash it - is that bad? :eek:

Andy

Sounds alright to me, but then I don't seem to be of the 'pride and joy' mentality - I do love my campervan, but I can't afford to worry if it gets dirty or it would severely limit its usefulness.

Anyway, might as well wait till all the leaves have fallen off the trees, or we'll have to get up on the roof again (which seems to be made of plastic) to get them off.

ejmoore said:
Sounds alright to me, but then I don't seem to be of the 'pride and joy' mentality - I do love my campervan, but I can't afford to worry if it gets dirty or it would severely limit its usefulness.

Anyway, might as well wait till all the leaves have fallen off the trees, or we'll have to get up on the roof again (which seems to be made of plastic) to get them off.

Blast them off with a hose/pressure washer!

I'd have to take it to the garage to hose it down, as we live in a first floor flat and park the van on the street (under a tree, no option) so when the time comes I'll give it a complete wash. But your suggestion has got me thinking - if I could park the van right outside, maybe we could put a hosepipe out of our first floor front window and spray the roof (better make sure there's no-one walking past).

Lol .... Like it ejmoore give it a go and get someone to take a photo :)

Watch out for those waterless trolley based car washers in telcos and Salisbury car pk. They don't seem to use much water and made a dogs arse of getting some bird sing off my freelander bonnet by what looked like scraping it... The polish guys in any old petrol station seem to do a better job as they pressure wash first and then clean by hand.

That's funny, I didn't use the word poo poo.....

Noticed a nice double paint gouge just now - clearly from a car door.

ARRRGHHH!!!

Also this recent move to the beach is ace for many things but the seagulls are driving me NUTS! Constant bird cack all over the van and car- arrrghhh!!!

burko73 said:
That's funny, I didn't use the word poo poo.....
hahahaha poo poo , sounds like we are all in the school nursery

Our local VW has free Valet on saturdays if you book it in early enough.Not sure if this is a country wide offer.Also i find what helps is the full autoglym service offered by them,brings the truck up lovely and a lot easier to wash.Bird crap ect does not seem to stick to it or damage the paintwork.

I dont work for them,just a lasy git that enjoys sitting back and drinking coffee waiting for it to be finished.

Anyone tried a car wash tunnel ? Any problem with the awning ?

Cali1 said:
Our local VW has free Valet on saturdays if you book it in early enough.Not sure if this is a country wide offer.Also i find what helps is the full autoglym service offered by them,brings the truck up lovely and a lot easier to wash.Bird crap ect does not seem to stick to it or damage the paintwork.

I dont work for them,just a lasy git that enjoys sitting back and drinking coffee waiting for it to be finished.

In regards to my last thread....VW offer no more valet.....Went down to book it in,and was told no more valets available.However when buying the car i was told once i got the autoglym service i would be entitled to six valets a year.I understand these were a goodwill because they did them free on a saturday,however now that has finished I've been told my six valets are void!New salesman old one left and its not the same.Shame really is.The old sales guy phone him up with a question,he would know who you were and usually have an answer,now put on hold await a phone call.Sorry seem to have ranted on.

Let me get back to the subject matter,no i have not used a tunnel,but i saw a friends van come out after using one and in the sunlight you could see small scratches that were not there when he cleaned it last.I would be careful.
I have now taken to cleaning myself (as i have always done for my bikes) and i find a good hour half will have it spotless inside and out.Autoglym wet wax is amazinging,no need to wait till it drys,so much easier.

Just been sent about a dozen products to test for a detailing company; if any of it is good for the Cali, I will shout.
So far I've "restored" the rather faded bumper protector!

Sounds good will keep my eyes peeled.Maybe heading down your way on the mountain bike,Cardighan woods when i get back in the UK.
If your up for a ride round let me know.

Great! I'm away from 27th July for a month but otherwise always up for a ride there!

I find snow foam then car shampoo; scrub with the back of a Meguiars wash mitt (it has a sort of mesh which is safe on paint). For really evil splats, a tar remover like Tardis works well.

Snow foam
Rinse
Two bucket method wash
Claybar
Wash again
Dry using microfibre towels
Polish
Then wax
About a day or two job
But great pleasure from the results
Claybar twice a year and wax twice a year

www.sgt-training.co.uk