Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First week "Is this right?"

M

Musket

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Last week, we collected our California Ocean. It is an ex demonstrator, sold by the VW dealer, first registered May 2023, and according to paperwork from the factory left in the vehicle, built February 2023. It's got a few factory extras such as towbar and wooden floor and we are very happy with our new toy. It has 700 miles on the clock and quite a saving from new.

Two things that I would be discussing in the pub with seasoned owners;

1. When we collected it, a couple of things sneaked through their pre deliver check that shouldn't have, necessitating a trip back the other day.

a). The rear aircon / temperature buttons and display had a stuck button (increase temp) that meant we got a bit hot on the way home. I released it with a credit card prised in it (the whole thing then worked till you pressed that button again) and they replaced it whilst I waited. Very happy in that regard. Blessed if I know how that got through inspection but hey ho.

They said this happens a lot, this sticking button that doesn't spring back. Does it? I have done a search here but doesn't seem that common. They reckon VW have a revised assembly that they fitted.

b. As a demonstrator, of course the leisure batteries were basically flat. WIth 2 1/2 year warranty, that in itself doesn't bother me but.... As I have a Tiguan with We Connect (actually the new VW app...) I registered it easily and quickly added it and it reported a fault (second battery low, how it reported it) but once I'd got home and connected EHU for a while, this cleared.

However, when testing out the features, the fridge worked OK but the heater didn't, kept saying please wait then telling me the heater was faulty. When they had it back, they said the fault hadn't cleared really and the system was still showing low second battery hence wouldn't use the heater. They cleared the fault and all was ok. Presumably, faults that clear on the app health check don't necessarily clear on the vehicle..... Looks like an OBD2 fault clearer might get some hammer in the future?

2. I've looked at Ocean spec brochures going back a couple of years and this should have electric folding wing mirrors? They aren't and the control doesn't have the option. (My Tiguan does so I know what I'm looking for....). The data sheet for the factory confirms it a MY23 Ocean so I don't know what happened there. I love the fact that I can check if my Tiguan is locked by glancing back and seeing if the mirrors are in and I assumed I could get this to do it too.

Despite all that, I'm happy. I am still in the "hand it back" period and I'm not going to. It's just that handing over £70K, you want perfection. I have no issue with things going wrong, it happens. But faults on there when I collected it that weren't pointed out to me is below what I expect. Both faults would have flagged up if their pre delivery check was merely plug it in and ask it how it is feeling.

I've yet to buy a car without something on the snag list. Just curious as to how common my snag list is with other owners.

My initial thoughts are.. Why did you opt for a second hand one for £70K when you could have bought a brand new 150PS Ocean with all the options you need for the same or less with about a 3-4 month wait?
This one will also definitely have the leaking bellows problem. It does look like VW are on the road to fixing this now with new versions.
And yes the Ocean does come with electric folding mirrors.

When we rented a (brand new <50 miles on the clock) demonstrator Ocean it didn't have folding mirrors. Long press on the remote made zero difference and no control for it on the adjustable mirror switch either so there are some out there without the folding mirrors but no idea why.

When we rented a (brand new <50 miles on the clock) demonstrator Ocean it didn't have folding mirrors. Long press on the remote made zero difference and no control for it on the adjustable mirror switch either so there are some out there without the folding mirrors but no idea why.
How strange, as it’s definitely standard kit and not an option on the Ocean.
Non-electric mirrors are cheaper to repair if they get knocked though, so that’s a plus!

My initial thoughts are.. Why did you opt for a second hand one for £70K when you could have bought a brand new 150PS Ocean with all the options you need for the same or less with about a 3-4 month wait?
This one will also definitely have the leaking bellows problem. It does look like VW are on the road to fixing this now with new versions.
One or two good points, thanks. The all new price before discounts for this one is £81K with all the options fitted before any discounts. I compared it to a brand new one with a bit less on that they had in the showroom for £76K and in the grand scheme of things, went for this one. No problem that warranties can't fix. Leaky bellows included, although for what sales talk is worth, this hasn't got the problem, not that I'd rely on being told of course..... Looking around beforehand and using AutoTrader, you ring a dealer to find the actual vehicle never did exist at that price "It's just gone but we have others that you might etc etc." and its still on the listing a few days later... I was going to spend over £60k regardless of what I bought and intend on keeping it many years so a new or newish and like my car, take the extended warranty when it needs it. It isn't an issue. I knocked them down a wee bit and had a few things thrown in so I'm happy.

No, it's the small issues that popped up that wound me up, not issues per se but how customer service seems to be a PR exercise rather than an engineering function of service staff. Twas ever thus I suppose.

Doesn't surprise me. Years ago, I ordered a new company car and it didn't have some of the things it should have had. The leasing company had bought some destined for the Irish market with a different standard spec...

folding wing mirrors
What did the sales ad say regarding folding wing mirrors :
if it says folding mirrors, take some screen shots and insist on them bring fitted

Last edited:
One or two good points, thanks. The all new price before discounts for this one is £81K with all the options fitted before any discounts. I compared it to a brand new one with a bit less on that they had in the showroom for £76K and in the grand scheme of things, went for this one. No problem that warranties can't fix. Leaky bellows included, although for what sales talk is worth, this hasn't got the problem, not that I'd rely on being told of course..... Looking around beforehand and using AutoTrader, you ring a dealer to find the actual vehicle never did exist at that price "It's just gone but we have others that you might etc etc." and its still on the listing a few days later... I was going to spend over £60k regardless of what I bought and intend on keeping it many years so a new or newish and like my car, take the extended warranty when it needs it. It isn't an issue. I knocked them down a wee bit and had a few things thrown in so I'm happy.

No, it's the small issues that popped up that wound me up, not issues per se but how customer service seems to be a PR exercise rather than an engineering function of service staff. Twas ever thus I suppose.
Did it come with the extended 5 year warranty as well?

I would have thought electric mirrors were standard on the Ocean. I had to spec it on a EU spec Coast and I usually actuate them by rotating the the knob on the door to 8 o'clock. What do your's do when you rotate the knob?

You need to turn the nob on the door switch cluster to fold in the mirrors. It doesn't work using the key fob unless you program it with a carista I believe

They said this happens a lot, this sticking button that doesn't spring back. Does it? I have done a search here but doesn't seem that common. They reckon VW have a revised assembly that they fitted.

b. As a demonstrator, of course the leisure batteries were basically flat. WIth 2 1/2 year warranty, that in itself doesn't bother me but.... As I have a Tiguan with We Connect (actually the new VW app...) I registered it easily and quickly added it and it reported a fault (second battery low, how it reported it) but once I'd got home and connected EHU for a while, this cleared.

2. I've looked at Ocean spec brochures going back a couple of years and this should have electric folding wing mirrors? They aren't and the control doesn't have the option. (My Tiguan does so I know what I'm looking for....). The data sheet for the factory confirms it a MY23 Ocean so I don't know what happened there. I love the fact that I can check if my Tiguan is locked by glancing back and seeing if the mirrors are in and I assumed I could get this to do it too.

B. is not unheard of. My rear heater button has been stuck from new, when Ive got time to spare I will get it to the dealers, you can override it using the front controls.

2. It should have folders as standard, does anything happen if you do a press & hold on the key fob when locking? Having said that, there were a number of component shortages last year & that may have been a casualty! what switch have you got fitted?

Last week, we collected our California Ocean. It is an ex demonstrator, sold by the VW dealer, first registered May 2023, and according to paperwork from the factory left in the vehicle, built February 2023. It's got a few factory extras such as towbar and wooden floor and we are very happy with our new toy. It has 700 miles on the clock and quite a saving from new.

1. When we collected it, a couple of things sneaked through their pre deliver check that shouldn't have, necessitating a trip back the other day.

a). The rear aircon / temperature buttons and display had a stuck button (increase temp) that meant we got a bit hot on the way home. I released it with a credit card prised in it (the whole thing then worked till you pressed that button again) and they replaced it whilst I waited. Very happy in that regard. Blessed if I know how that got through inspection but hey ho.

However, when testing out the features, the fridge worked OK but the heater didn't, kept saying please wait then telling me the heater was faulty. When they had it back, they said the fault hadn't cleared really and the system was still showing low second battery hence wouldn't use the heater. They cleared the fault and all was ok. Presumably, faults that clear on the app health check don't necessarily clear on the vehicle..... Looks like an OBD2 fault clearer might get some hammer in the future?

Despite all that, I'm happy. I am still in the "hand it back" period and I'm not going to. It's just that handing over £70K, you want perfection. I have no issue with things going wrong, it happens. But faults on there when I collected it that weren't pointed out to me is below what I expect. Both faults would have flagged up if their pre delivery check was merely plug it in and ask it how it is feeling.

I've yet to buy a car without something on the snag list. Just curious as to how common my snag list is with other owners.
Few thoughts.

First - even as a demonstrator the leisures should be fine. Sounds like they were just left to go dead and needed a reset.

Second - The mirrors do fold but you have to long press the lock key. If you want them to close any other way you need to programme them with the Carista. I have ours so they fold on lock, no long press. On unlock they stay folded until I put the key in. It's all a battery/wear saving feature from its van base - to save battery/motor on lots of short delivery trips. We have a Tiguan too - they don't work in the same way unfortunately. Carista gets it close.

Third - as others mention, you *could* get cheaper but not much on that spec and you would need to wait. For many, a demo hardly used van is perfect.

Fourth - like many you're asking too much from main dealers. They just not that great. You have your checks, and a warranty, so, everything will be fine.

The rotary knob does not have the option, it isn’t fitted. I assume you are right, it could be component shortage into this February.

In answer to another question on this thread, the dealer did say it hadn’t got it, but not as an omission as such, but that the other one on the showroom had, which at the time I took as meaning they were optional extras. It was afterwards, just looking at the catalogue that I realised.
B. is not unheard of. My rear heater button has been stuck from new, when Ive got time to spare I will get it to the dealers, you can override it using the front controls.

2. It should have folders as standard, does anything happen if you do a press & hold on the key fob when locking? Having said that, there were a number of component shortages last year & that may have been a casualty! what switch have you got fitted?

Few thoughts.

First - even as a demonstrator the leisures should be fine. Sounds like they were just left to go dead and needed a reset.

Second - The mirrors do fold but you have to long press the lock key. If you want them to close any other way you need to programme them with the Carista. I have ours so they fold on lock, no long press. On unlock they stay folded until I put the key in. It's all a battery/wear saving feature from its van base - to save battery/motor on lots of short delivery trips. We have a Tiguan too - they don't work in the same way unfortunately. Carista gets it close.

Third - as others mention, you *could* get cheaper but not much on that spec and you would need to wait. For many, a demo hardly used van is perfect.

Fourth - like many you're asking too much from main dealers. They just not that great. You have your checks, and a warranty, so, everything will be fine.
They don’t fold. It isn’t fitted.

Batteries can be a problem if they get too flat. I might be too sensitive on that subject, but as a colliery electrician in my youth and standard leisure batteries having essentially similar characteristics to electric loco trains, I learned the hard way. The van’s system however shouldn’t let them squeeze the last bit so should be ok.

Dealers should do a pre delivery inspection. They told me they do so I assumed they had. If they had, both issues would have flagged up. I’m not being hard on them, just annoyed that they didn’t do it, causing me a day and 70 mile round trip.

I love the van. It would be going back if I didn’t. Just pointed out a couple of faults and curious of others’ experiences, that’s all.

I have the rear heating issue you have.
Wife was in the back with grandson and I said she can have it colder or hotter as she likes.
She tried changing it and it kept going up.
I’d never seen it before as I don’t sit in the back while I’m driving.
So had a look with engine running.
Lo & behold. Button stuck in.
Pinged it out by flicking it to the left (towards the front of the cabin) and it pops out.
Very strange.
Now we know how to unstick it, I’ll await the spring before springing it on the service department.

I have the rear heating issue you have.
Wife was in the back with grandson and I said she can have it colder or hotter as she likes.
She tried changing it and it kept going up.
I’d never seen it before as I don’t sit in the back while I’m driving.
So had a look with engine running.
Lo & behold. Button stuck in.
Pinged it out by flicking it to the left (towards the front of the cabin) and it pops out.
Very strange.
Now we know how to unstick it, I’ll await the spring before springing it on the service department.
Maybe needs a light spray with some silicon lubricant .

They don’t fold. It isn’t fitted.

Batteries can be a problem if they get too flat. I might be too sensitive on that subject, but as a colliery electrician in my youth and standard leisure batteries having essentially similar characteristics to electric loco trains, I learned the hard way. The van’s system however shouldn’t let them squeeze the last bit so should be ok.

Dealers should do a pre delivery inspection. They told me they do so I assumed they had. If they had, both issues would have flagged up. I’m not being hard on them, just annoyed that they didn’t do it, causing me a day and 70 mile round trip.

I love the van. It would be going back if I didn’t. Just pointed out a couple of faults and curious of others’ experiences, that’s all.
The PDI is purely Transporter based, the vehicle only, nothing related to the Habitation equipment.

The PDI is purely Transporter based, the vehicle only, nothing related to the Habitation equipment.
I didn’t buy a transporter I bought a California. The transporter is part of the item I bought. I was told my purchase would have a pre delivery inspection.

Out of interest of course, the rear climate control issue is part of the transporter side of my purchase.

Mercantile law was never a strong point with vehicle dealers., I used to cite my experiences as the poor ruddy director who looked after our fleet when training our sakes and service staff on industrial products, saying our bar is far higher. I bought a fridge, heater, wardrobe, pumps, tanks, lighting etc etc and was told it would be inspected and made good.

The habitation equipment was sold as fully working.

Looks like the sticking heat button isn’t just mine after all. In that case, the service manager at the dealer is possibly correct when he said VW send out a modified one.

It isnt just that it doesn’t spring out properly, but a pre delivery inspection that allegedly took place required testing “all normally used interfaces” according to case precedent. Many examples of that being the expectation, not just in the vehicle industry either.

I’m not Mr Angry, far from it. Just annoyed that decent coffee and attentive attitude is slowly replacing technical competency in the dealerships. I was ultimately responsible for a large fleet of cars and vans for many years and slowly saw the corporate approach kill competence. Our fleet manager and I often sat with a cuppa and scratched our heads.

If VW and their agents believe their own hype, this could be recall territory, especially as they seem to have altered the design.

Can we see a pic of your drivers side mirror controls? I can't believe it isn't fitted. Almost as daft as the drivers side door lock saga where they fit the lock to lhs but no mechanism

I didn’t buy a transporter I bought a California. The transporter is part of the item I bought. I was told my purchase would have a pre delivery inspection.

Out of interest of course, the rear climate control issue is part of the transporter side of my purchase.

Mercantile law was never a strong point with vehicle dealers., I used to cite my experiences as the poor ruddy director who looked after our fleet when training our sakes and service staff on industrial products, saying our bar is far higher. I bought a fridge, heater, wardrobe, pumps, tanks, lighting etc etc and was told it would be inspected and made good.

The habitation equipment was sold as fully working.
Welcome to the World of The California.

That is the disappointing bit realising the hype is just that, marketing smoke and mirrors with very little substance to back it up, just a long history to play it out.
As an aside great track, even greater album.

Dealers are definitely losing their competence in terms of understanding their product. I find it astounding at times.

I did a lot of car shopping the other year at several manufacturers’ showrooms. Pretty poor experience all in.

I’ve found commercial dealers even worse when looking for replacement commercial vans for my business.

As is well documented here, buying a California from VW commercial is hugely underwhelming. The only exception I’ve found to the rule (limited data!), is the excellent team at Breeze, Poole.

My experience ordering a Buzz (now cancelled), was terrible.

Last edited:
Mine also has the sticking heat button in the back, so your far from alone in that one, mine does have folding mirrors though so can’t help with that one sorry!

Back