Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2015 T5.1 RNS 510 constantly crashing .

Trebor

Trebor

No looking back .
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi I’ve finally given up with my ( 2015 T5.1 180 4 motion )RNS 510 . It has been crashing and trying to reboot every 5 minutes continually . I can’t even switch it off ! The problem seems to be the Nav which never quite makes it . Radio seems ok when it’s on . I had a new engine battery fitted last month as mine was original but started fine and when tested it was ok as I had heard the Rns510 was voltage sensitive . It was better for about a week but now impossible . I have wondered about the alternator but think Sat nav crashing is a common problem even with T6’s .

Can anyone recommend the best alternative to Vw ? I have a Vw rear camera . I’m not fussed about the picture quality .
Many thanks .

Hi I’ve finally given up with my ( 2015 T5.1 180 4 motion )RNS 510 . It has been crashing and trying to reboot every 5 minutes continually . I can’t even switch it off ! The problem seems to be the Nav which never quite makes it . Radio seems ok when it’s on . I had a new engine battery fitted last month as mine was original but started fine and when tested it was ok as I had heard the Rns510 was voltage sensitive . It was better for about a week but now impossible . I have wondered about the alternator but think Sat nav crashing is a common problem even with T6’s .

Can anyone recommend the best alternative to Vw ? I have a Vw rear camera . I’m not fussed about the picture quality .
Many thanks .
Hi Trebor,

my experience with RNS510 in my previous van was a good one,

Played DVDs etc. , sat Nav worked as it should etc. in fact it was a rock solid unit.

There are updates that. An be applied to the unit easily, which would probably sort your issues. (Internet downloads)
you would need to know what suffix unit you have (large white sticker on the unit) and what software version you are running.(access this through the screen info)

regarding voltage issue, check and clean the earthing points, battery, chassis etc. And check the cabling to the unit is all original and it has not been tampered with.

The T6 Media pro doesn’t suffer from the sat Nav crashing, but certain suffix models do suffer from digitiser screen going bad resulting in loss of touch screen ability, but this is a relatively easy DIY fix if the unit is an affected batch.

as far as new units Absolute5 are well respected supplier / fitter here and on the T6 forum.

Many thanks .
Your rear camera will work with aftermarket units. Just plugs in the back of the head unit.

Satnav is better when using wireless carplay from your phone for waze,/google maps as there is no need to pay for updates as the maps are live + live traffic, roadworks, hazards, potholes etc (Most paid map updates are already out of date by the time they are released). Speech to text for Satnav destinations, radio stations, music. WhatsApp etc.

Speak to Absolut5.

Thanks Perfectos . Mine has been fine since new but 2 years ago occasionally lost gps signal . But the crashing started about 6 weeks ago . I’ll do what you suggest . Thanks .

Thanks Ch1pbutty . Any recommendations what to replace with so Vw rear camera will still work ? Would be nice to use google maps etc .

Thanks Perfectos . Mine has been fine since new but 2 years ago occasionally lost gps signal . But the crashing started about 6 weeks ago . I’ll do what you suggest . Thanks .
If it started when loosing sat Nav location (I.e. your physical location) replace the sat Nav arial (fakra) GPS

I have used the company and can recommend them highly. (As have others on the forum with good results)

mention the forum when you make contact

Back