Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting isotop mk 1 but no roof hooks for safety net

Steeble

Steeble

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I have bought a 2010 isotop and trying to fit. I don't have the hooks in the roof which it would attach to. The same hooks that the child safety net should attach to I believe.
Does anyone else have these hooks missing? Doesn't look like anything is broken, they just seem to be omitted. It's a 2013 beach

The hooks are available to buy from VW. They are in two parts a rivnut which is supposed to be fixed in first then the hook screws into the rivnut. You will need to drill a hole in the headlining, just don’t drill right through the roof. I couldn’t get the rivnut to hold so I just used a dab of expanding glue.
Part No 7H7-067-100 Vw call it a bracket
screws and rivnut 106-705-01

The hooks are available to buy from VW. They are in two parts a rivnut which is supposed to be fixed in first then the hook screws into the rivnut. You will need to drill a hole in the headlining, just don’t drill right through the roof. I couldn’t get the rivnut to hold so I just used a dab of expanding glue.
Part No 7H7-067-100 Vw call it a bracket
screws and rivnut 106-705-01
brilliant, thanks very much

If anyone needs the instructions to fit an old isotop gore, I have them in an email from brandrup

Another tip that I found worked better than the supplied Velcro Is to fit more of those roof hooks next to where you are supposed to stick a small piece of Velcro on the plastic canvas support. The isotop would never hold and kept coming off. Brandrup improved the fitting at that point after the blue Goretex version. If yours is grey then ignore what I’ve just wrote.

4E03798E-1662-41EC-BBD1-B6C6B23BC43E.jpeg

Another tip that I found worked better than the supplied Velcro Is to fit more of those roof hooks next to where you are supposed to stick a small piece of Velcro on the plastic canvas support. The isotop would never hold and kept coming off. Brandrup improved the fitting at that point after the blue Goretex version. If yours is grey then ignore what I’ve just wrote.

View attachment 93268
Thanks, it's the blue one I've got. Finally getting round to fitting now and see why people had problems

View attachment 93268
actually looks like the same location I already have a torx screw in place, might see if I can just add a plastic loop onto it

used a bit of rubber for attaching bits to bike handlebars and added eyelets.

PXL_20220612_153154630.MP.jpg

PXL_20220612_153308165.jpg

Brandrup isotop gore instructions (for all the help they are) if anyone needs them

Attachments

• ISO-TOP VW T5 California int..pdf
    162.5 KB · Views: 7

View attachment 93268
Where does the isotop attach at the front? There are 3 hooks at each of the front corners and I've no idea where they go

The hooks just push into the gap in the ceiling of the pop up roof corners. They don’t hook onto anything.

EA3C6E2E-07EB-4EBE-9649-CD5C5F941EBB.jpeg

82CC8BBD-D14A-4C07-A430-3AAD6523E856.jpeg

0B5343CB-4F80-4778-9FCF-60C05C053002.jpeg

That bagginess in the front has improved with the new versions, brandrup added more material to give a closer fit to the roof canvas at the front to match the sides and back. Also used Velcro tabs that pushed into the gap where those hooks on the elastic on the version you have go.
I used to have a photo of someone who added more goretex material to each corner to make it more like the newer versions. I was going to copy and do the same but it’s not actually that bad how it’s made now so I’ve not bothered.
Defiantly keeps daylight out in the morning.

That bagginess in the front has improved with the new versions, brandrup added more material to give a closer fit to the roof canvas at the front to match the sides and back. Also used Velcro tabs that pushed into the gap where those hooks on the elastic on the version you have go.
I used to have a photo of someone who added more goretex material to each corner to make it more like the newer versions. I was going to copy and do the same but it’s not actually that bad how it’s made now so I’ve not bothered.
Defiantly keeps daylight out in the morning.
I'd be tempted with the newer one but got this version for <£100 with fitting kit so the price is a little easier to swallow than the new versions

Any trick to getting it fitted. No matter how I try I always seem to have one corner where the material isn't connected to the velcro

I can’t really remember the sequence I fitted first but I think I fixed the Velcro on the middle spine because it’s a set point then worked towards the top back corners equaling the fabric both sides. Then stuck the bottom Velcro without pulling to tight. Did you fit any of those roof hooks at the front because I suppose if you haven’t got those quite in the same position the factory fixed them then the front might be slightly out and putting tension on the fabric.
In the fitting kit did you use the primer wipe on the metalwork top and bottom where the supplied silver Velcro tape goes? If not the Velcro won’t stick to the metalwork.
The more I think about it I’m sure after a while ours was coming away at the top back corners. At the same time I fitted those roof hooks at that middle spine point. I got a tub of similar primer that’s used on that wipe. Got some thin 10mm VHB double sided tape, stuck that to the metalwork then stuck the Velcro tape to the VHB tape. I think this was because the supplied tape was short so using my own I made the back position longer because there is more than enough Velcro stitched on the isotop fabric to attach to the top corner better.

Velcro is sticking to the van fine but it's the other half attached to the fabric that I can't get to connect in as corner. Have had a few attempts so far and always end up with a corner not attaching

Finally got it fitted. Just really needed to stretch it quite a bit when installing

Back