Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flat 2008 Leisure Batteries revived, sort of

We have 2 50W panels they we place in the windscreen are on the dash. Just to keep all of the batteries trickle charging
Yes I would love that. Plugged into a 12V socket? Which make?

Yes I have treated our batteries terribly for 15 years. The van sits months doing nothing. I only plug it in the night before we go somewhere, when packing and filling fridge. Perhaps they like our 2 week holidays driving (generator) and camping around France. Maybe that conditions them a bit. I see on Tayna website they say Varta LA80s are designed for periods of no use - "These batteries are ideal for seasonal use, so when you take your boat or caravan out of winter storage, it’s ready to go." Maybe we're just lucky. I honestly reckon they will survive.

The thing is I see the van as 2 parts - a van and engine that my garage can fix, and the camping stuff that I need to try and maintain. I am loathe to add another complex bit - solar electrics - that can go wrong. I don't really understand it at all.
You have a Midas touch. Mine are goosed after 6 years. I’ve owned it for 2 years and used it as a daily driver. I hit 10.7 about a week ago, the solar on a good day can get them back up to 12.7-9 but it doesn’t hold the charge well and the fridge switches off after 2 days even with the solar.

Last edited:
Yes I would love that. Plugged into a 12V socket? Which make?
We have 2 X flexi solar panels that are joined by mc4 connectors and Anderson quick connectors (for quick disconnection) and fed to a PWM duo charge controller (looking for a similar MPPT). Under the passenger seat is the VW fitted split charging relay, where I connected each +ve output of the controller to each side of the split charging relay. Each input and output of the controller is fused.
It possibly sounds intricate but is easily carried out.
I hope this helps

We have 2 X flexi solar panels that are joined by mc4 connectors and Anderson quick connectors (for quick disconnection) and fed to a PWM duo charge controller (looking for a similar MPPT). Under the passenger seat is the VW fitted split charging relay, where I connected each +ve output of the controller to each side of the split charging relay. Each input and output of the controller is fused.
I hope this helps
Forgot to add that the parts were sourced from Amazon.

I hope this helps
Thanks but yes all Swahili to me. I wouldn’t want to be connecting and disconnecting anything I think. I don’t understand any of it. I was hoping it was one of those things you put on dash and plug into 12V cigarette socket.
I mean I’ve coped for 15 years. Will just get new batteries when these konk out.

Showing 12.9 after 36 hrs plugged in.
1724411684077.jpeg
Will read it in 2 hrs when we set off.
1724411664550.jpeg

So I drove to Dorset and arrived Friday late afternoon with the fridge on and 100%.

The voltage went up and down between 12.1v and 12.4v all weekend. Occasionally it would be showing 0 Amps but normally -3.6A. Is that because the fridge is not taking any charge? Turning itself on and off as required?

1724699579456.jpeg

Eventually before we left I turned the fridge off for 30 minutes to take a voltage reading. On Monday after 65 hours with the fridge and occasional lights on it showed 12.2v.

1724699742659.jpeg

That’s probably as long as I would go these days without plugging in or driving a bit.

1724699833211.jpeg

So 12.2v = 60% is not bad after 3 nights camping with 16 year old batteries. I will add to my list of things that may need replacing.

Last edited:
Back