Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flat battery and 4 motion

If you are also a lucky one without Bluemotion Technology, then you can just replace your battery without coding.
You probably have one like me:
IMG_20200324_111745.jpg

this is what has been sitting there for 9 years.20200413_192002[1].jpg

Wow, and I thought that mine looked bad after over 10 years :oops:

Oh, yours is bigger than mine. :help

But your engine is also the "bigger" one...

I was leafing through a battery forum yesterday and came across the comment that the electrical hook-up woll only top up the engine battery but won't deep-charge it from flat. So I'll try a smart charger on the engine battery today. Any truth in that do we think? I'll also try cleaning it :)

I was leafing through a battery forum yesterday and came across the comment that the electrical hook-up woll only top up the engine battery but won't deep-charge it from flat. So I'll try a smart charger on the engine battery today. Any truth in that do we think? I'll also try cleaning it :)
Correct. The built in charger only trickle charges the engine battery and only once the Leisure batteries are fully charge. This trickle charging is an unintended consequence of the circuitry and not by design.
Even if you get the Engine Battery charged enough to get the engine started I think you will still have to replace it if you want trouble free motoring.

this is what has been sitting there for 9 years.View attachment 57515
That hasn't been looked at since it was installed in the factory. I went to my local VW dealer who was surprisingly competitive on pricing but did change it myself.
Varta batteries are available delivered to your home too if you are happy to change it yourself. An easy job, although heavy to lift.

Alan

I have ordered a new one which I am expecting later this week. Is it necessary to do a parallel connection when changing to avoid the electrics going down and needing to be reset?

I have ordered a new one which I am expecting later this week. Is it necessary to do a parallel connection when changing to avoid the electrics going down and needing to be reset?
You might do that, but as those T5.1's are quite simple (they share a lot with the Golf Mk4), you will only face the re adjustment of the clock.
Oh, make sure you shut down the control panel.
It won't harm your car if you parallel connect when changing, but I wouldn't bother with it.

I did a straight swap of the engine battery on our 2010 van. It doesn't have any of the complicated tech fitted. As the TripleBee has said, only needed to reset the clocks and the electric windows.

How are you disposing of the old one? As I bought mine from the local dealer, they took the old one back. Recycling centres are an option, but they are all closed around here just now.

Alan

New battery has arrived and I'm just charging it up. Will fit it tomorrow. Wasn't going to parallel connect until the mention of resetting the electric windows. What does that look like?
The old battery will hang around for a while no doubt. My trailer is slowly filling up with a rather large load for the recycling centre.

Wasn't going to parallel connect until the mention of resetting the electric windows. What does that look like?
Close your windows before changing the battery.
After change, adjust your clock. Press left button on instrument cluster, if hour light up inverse, press right button to right hour, press left button again to adjust minutes... Easy.
Lift up the knob for the left side window for 2 seconds. You will hear the window motor try to work and then stop. Repeat for the right window too. Easy. Should work again with comfort function (double pull for automatic full open and close).

Many thanks. I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks TripleBee, WeshGas et al. Changed battery and all seems well with the windows and everything else without parallel connections, which does save some hassle and avoids some potential nasty short circuiting.
I suspect I am now going to have to move on to the leisure batteries as I notice they are down to 70% after just 4 days idle. Previously, off hook-up they were doing 4 days of fridge and not down to 70%. I guess they are 9 years old too. Don't owe me anything.

Thanks again for all the wonderful support from this forum. :)

Having just changed the engine battery, I am now focusing on the leisure batteries. The Van was a showroom Berghaus Cali in 2011, on the road with me January 2012. So the batteries were all ca. 9 years old. The engine battery was completely stuffed so decision was easy.
After replacing the engine battery I have been observing the leisure batteries. After 4 days just sitting there with 0.0 amps they were at 90%. Today I pumped out a full water tank via the sink tap and the batteries were showing 70%. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I am a bit sceptical about this % thing. My experience tells me that if you see 60%, they are done! Ie: 60% pretty much means 0%. So I think they are ready for changing. The current batteries are Varta DE AGM 7P0 915 105A 12V 75ah 420 A DIN 800A EN/SAE whatever all that means. Can anyone please tell me what I should change these for? I have read in other forums that I need L80's. I'd be happy to swap like for like if I can find it.

Having just changed the engine battery, I am now focusing on the leisure batteries. The Van was a showroom Berghaus Cali in 2011, on the road with me January 2012. So the batteries were all ca. 9 years old. The engine battery was completely stuffed so decision was easy.
After replacing the engine battery I have been observing the leisure batteries. After 4 days just sitting there with 0.0 amps they were at 90%. Today I pumped out a full water tank via the sink tap and the batteries were showing 70%. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I am a bit sceptical about this % thing. My experience tells me that if you see 60%, they are done! Ie: 60% pretty much means 0%. So I think they are ready for changing. The current batteries are Varta DE AGM 7P0 915 105A 12V 75ah 420 A DIN 800A EN/SAE whatever all that means. Can anyone please tell me what I should change these for? I have read in other forums that I need L80's. I'd be happy to swap like for like if I can find it.
These are the batteries fitted in the California . There are other suppliers. Check the Dimensions.

They are temporarily out of stock apparently. Tayna are recommending these as a replacement. Would they be OK?
EXV88AGM ENDUROLINE AGM LEISURE MARINE BATTERY 12V 80AH at £140.

Can get the L80s from GoBattery for £158 each.

They are temporarily out of stock apparently. Tayna are recommending these as a replacement. Would they be OK?
EXV88AGM ENDUROLINE AGM LEISURE MARINE BATTERY 12V 80AH at £140.

Can get the L80s from GoBattery for £158 each.
They are the same dimensions so they would fit. Warranty 4 yrs same as Varta

Yep. I ordered them from Tayna, Gobattery wanted £80 for delivering the L80s!! vs Tayna's £13.