Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle battery flat

Gooldmike

Gooldmike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi, I’m currently down in Spain on a campsite . I’ve been static for two weeks . Today, I checked to make sure the vehicle started . It didn’t . My assumption was that the vehicle battery was flat . However , nothing was on that should have drained it ( ie lights etc)
I borrowed a battery charger from a neighbour on the campsite . When I checked , the battery was flat . It’s now charging overnight , and it appears to be charging up — will retry starting tomorrow morning
However my question is what could have caused the battery to go flat .? The vehicle is only 16 months old , so would have thought the battery was ‘ healthy’ .
I’m just wondering if it’s to do with 2 things :-
The constant opening and closing of the door .( have power latching)
The antitheft alarm system is switched on every time we lock it .
????

Would be interested in people’s thoughts

Mike

So two weeks at a campsite with or without cable (ehu)? I mean: without driving and constant opening and closing door with power latching and alarm on, while constantly monitoring the fully electronic system by the vehicle. Fridge on? Guess Camping mode not on?….
And while driving, occasionally activated the maximum charging function so that you at least could start those two weeks camping with full batteries.

Last edited:
Hi, I’m currently down in Spain on a campsite . I’ve been static for two weeks . Today, I checked to make sure the vehicle started . It didn’t . My assumption was that the vehicle battery was flat . However , nothing was on that should have drained it ( ie lights etc)
I borrowed a battery charger from a neighbour on the campsite . When I checked , the battery was flat . It’s now charging overnight , and it appears to be charging up — will retry starting tomorrow morning
However my question is what could have caused the battery to go flat .? The vehicle is only 16 months old , so would have thought the battery was ‘ healthy’ .
I’m just wondering if it’s to do with 2 things :-
The constant opening and closing of the door .( have power latching)
The antitheft alarm system is switched on every time we lock it .
????

Would be interested in people’s thoughts

Mike
Power latching is off the engine battery. How often did you open the drivers door? or run the radio?

I’ve left mine for 5 weeks at Heathrow and it started first time.

Power latching is off the engine battery. How often did you open the drivers door? or run the radio?

I’ve left mine for 5 weeks at Heathrow and it started first time.
It’s on hook up. Leisure battery fine. Radio not been on . Nothing been on other than power latching on the sliding door ( opened and closed multiple , multiple times !) and locked and unlocked multiple times with alarm activated multiple times

It’s on hook up. Leisure battery fine. Radio not been on . Nothing been on other than power latching on the sliding door ( opened and closed multiple , multiple times !) and locked and unlocked multiple times with alarm activated multiple times
Do you open drivers door after unlocking as that primes all the electronics in preparation to drive away and takes 20 or so minutes to power down after shutting door.

No, not particularity the drivers door , but we do open the passenger side door a couple of times a day. Does that have the same effect as opening the drivers door ?

No, not particularity the drivers door , but we do open the passenger side door a couple of times a day. Does that have the same effect as opening the drivers door ?
No it doesn’t. Do you use the lights in the cab by the rear view mirror?

Do you use camping mode?

No we don’t . They only come on when we open the driver s or passenger door and then close them. But we don’t have them on for illumination for leisure purposes

If your California just stands still for weeks (even 5 weeks), closed without further action, the vehicle will use little of the battery(s). However, if you open doors and turn on the interior lights and so on as many times as you describe (multiple times), you would be better off using camping mode: this, as it were, disconnects the car part from the camping part and will significantly save your batteries (all of them). First thing when ‘camping’: activate camping mode.
You did not mention in your original post that you are on EHU, but yes you are apparently: well then it could be something else because normally you charge all batteries via the cable (unless someone refutes this because I am not 100% sure about this , I should look it up). Anyway: good luck with it.
Edit: you don’t have camping mode?

16 month old T6 ?

If your California just stands still for weeks (even 5 weeks), closed without further action, the vehicle will use little of the battery(s). However, if you open doors and turn on the interior lights and so on as many times as you describe (multiple times), you would be better off using camping mode: this, as it were, disconnects the car part from the camping part and will significantly save your batteries (all of them). First thing when ‘camping’: activate camping mode.
You did not mention in your original post that you are on EHU, but yes you are apparently: well then it could be something else because normally you charge all batteries via the cable (unless someone refutes this because I am not 100% sure about this , I should look it up). Anyway: good luck with it.
Edit: you don’t have camping mode?
Thanks for your help, appreciated

You did not mention in your original post that you are on EHU, but yes you are apparently: well then it could be something else because normally you charge all batteries via the cable (unless someone refutes this because I am not 100% sure about this , I should look it up).

On a 6.1 and some 6's the starter battery is trickle charged on EHU.

If off EHU, all the above apply. Done it myself after just 3 days off EHU and too much drivers door opening.

We bought one of these and keep in the drawer. Also comes in handy for the Series 2 Land Rover!

Last edited:
We keep a little voltage display plugged in to the 12v socket on the dashboard, it’s useful to see how the engine battery is doing, and takes only a minute bit of power. I’m really surprised that you’ve gone flat when on EHU though.

We keep a little voltage display plugged in to the 12v socket on the dashboard, it’s useful to see how the engine battery is doing, and takes only a minute bit of power. I’m really surprised that you’ve gone flat when on EHU though.
I did this, for the same reason, and I'm not sure if it is the same on yours, but after a bit of checking realised all the lighter sockets on the 6.1 are now powered by the leisures, even the dash one.

On a 6.1 and some 6's the starter battery is trickle charged on EHU.

If off EHU, all the above apply. Done it myself after just 3 days off EHU and too much drivers door opening.

We bought one of these and keep in the drawer. Also comes in handy for the Series 2 Land Rover!

I can highly recommend Vtoman products. I have a power station by them and it’s great (we charge via solar). I think they do a smaller version of the above for about £45 - you can also use it to charge your usb stuff as well.

I did this, for the same reason, and I'm not sure if it is the same on yours, but after a bit of checking realised all the lighter sockets on the 6.1 are now powered by the leisures, even the dash one.
Agree - I’ve picked that now on another thread. That’s a shame.

normally you charge all batteries via the cable (unless someone refutes this because I am not 100% sure
Unfortunately the Trickle charge to the starter battery is not something that VW designed.
it just happens (for some) as a consequence of the leisure battery charging set up.
I think the Ocean camping electrics set up is slightly different from a Beach, due to one LB rather than Two.
Not all vans receive a charge to the starter battery when on EHU.

The trickle charge effect on the Starter battery is more of a leak of residual current than a deliberate charge via EHU.

Unfortunately the Trickle charge to the starter battery is not something that VW designed.
it just happens (for some) as a consequence of the leisure battery charging set up.
I think the Ocean camping electrics set up is slightly different from a Beach, due to one LB rather than Two.
Not all vans receive a charge to the starter battery when on EHU.

The trickle charge effect on the Starter battery is more of a leak of residual current than a deliberate charge via EHU.
Could be. I wasn’t sure of it. But I think I read it somewhere… think the manual but have to check.

There is a good explanation of the Charging system in the VW Self study program SSP 708. Can be found here in the club or on internet.

There is a good explanation of the Charging system in the VW Self study program SSP 708. Can be found here in the club or on internet.
This is informative and recommended reading for anyone on this thread who's discussed the T6.1 charging system.