Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flat battery

Zebedee

Zebedee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Since having Smartie the Smart car last month was not using the Cali as much. Jumped in to go to the ferry to France for Christmas...battery dead and would not start! No time to sort it so had to take Smartie instead. Result....Cali had been at least 10 days with dead battery. Question will this have damaged the leisure batteries as well? Van battery four and a half years old so probably need a new one? Best place to get one/fitted? Any tips on using jump leads or a starter? Thanks Zebedee (and Happy Nee Year!)

I think your leisure batteries should be fine, as they are separate from the starter battery.

I wouldn't try to use one of the leisure batteries for starting as they are not intended for this purpose and have different characteristics. I wouldn't suggest trying to jump start at all if the starter battery is that flat. If you have access to a battery charger I would suggest you put the battery on charge for 48 hrs. The van should then start. Once the battery is charged check for anything you may have left turned on which could have run the battery flat.
I would then take the van and have the battery tested before spending the money on a new one. The battery needs to be charged in order to test it and this is why you need to use a charger as the alternator alone will not charge it fully if you were to jump start it.

Our original Varta battery lasted over ten years so I would get it checked before assuming it needed replacing. Genuine batteries are expensive.
Since having Smartie the Smart car last month was not using the Cali as much. Jumped in to go to the ferry to France for Christmas...battery dead and would not start! No time to sort it so had to take Smartie instead. Result....Cali had been at least 10 days with dead battery. Question will this have damaged the leisure batteries as well? Van battery four and a half years old so probably need a new one? Best place to get one/fitted? Any tips on using jump leads or a starter? Thanks Zebedee (a

4.5 years for a battery doesn't sound like 'probably time for a new one' to me.
Thats a poor life span expectancy.
Of course I realise it depends on the demand its put under, frequency of usage etc but I'd expect a better life span by far.

Battery's can go for long time but once they have been below a certain point it can cause permanent damage.
If yours is a 2013 SE and they have not been taken care of like it should (frequent on hook-up) and been flattend before , they could be over it's best ...

Our original Varta battery lasted over ten years so I would get it checked before assuming it needed replacing. Genuine batteries are expensive.
Mine is a 2008 still on original battery's as well . So I would think needs checking unless just unlucky.

Batteries die from use. If you average 10 - 12,000 miles a year, ie: a daily or regular driver then the engine battery might well not last as long as someone who only uses the vehicle in summer and lays it up the rest of the year, charging it monthly as the Handbook says.
A good Autoelectrician should be able to check it out thoroughly and advise accordingly.

Yes, some batteries can last 10yrs plus. At 3,000 miles/year and properly charged over winter I would expect it to, but if you are running as a daily driver then 4-5 yrs is also good. That's why many batteries only have a 3 yr guarantee.

Back