Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Cause:-
Key in ignition to open windows to remove window vents. Distracted by our children on the campsite. Key left in the ignition with the heater on. Result - flat battery.

Another tick to add to our European adventure.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Key left in the ignition with the heater on.
Doh! [Another item to be added to the mental check list of don'ts].

Shame it does not auto shut off after 20mins or so, something like the radio does (although that's with the ignition off of course).

Are you being recovered, or do you have a clever trick involving hot wired solar panels and jump leads but no children?

Doh! [Another item to be added to the mental check list of don'ts].

Shame it does not auto shut off after 20mins or so, something like the radio does (although that's with the ignition off of course).

Are you being recovered, or do you have a clever trick involving hot wired solar panels and jump leads but no children?

Recovery on its way to jump start. Many offers of help from fellow campers, but would prefer VW assist in case there are issues related to the flat battery.

One thing I would like is a switched connection between leisure and engine battery for such situations - jump starting from the sun's rays is an attractive thought.

This weekend is Orthodox Easter, so if there are complications recovery with VW service will not be until Tuesday.

[QUOTE="Amarillo, post: 275073, member: 11232]

One thing I would like is a switched connection between leisure and engine battery for such situations - jump starting from the sun's rays is an attractive thought[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting using leisure bats to start the engine? Not a good idea. Different type of battery.

Surely you have a set of jump leads? Surely??

Have to agree with @sidepod , do not think it is a good idea starting the engine with one of the lesure batts. , and jump start leads would be also on my list if i where you.

I got myself a Noco Genious recent to start a verhicle back up without a donorverhicle . Tested it on my 1,9 D Renault Kangoo needed to take out the battery for change and started the verhicle using the Noco without a battery in the Kangoo ....worked fine , this goes with my on trips from now on , alltough many will say the chances are low you will drain you battery Tom's post made it clear that it does happen.

[QUOTE="Amarillo, post: 275073, member: 11232]

One thing I would like is a switched connection between leisure and engine battery for such situations - jump starting from the sun's rays is an attractive thought

Are you suggesting using leisure bats to start the engine? Not a good idea. Different type of battery.

Surely you have a set of jump leads? Surely??

Sadly not the case in my beach and probably many others, they are actually the same battery that VW put in many of them. Not the AGM it should have been.

One of the most common reasons for a flat battery that I've seen, apart from over-riding the radio 20 minutes of play, is putting the ignition on to raise or lower the roof and getting distracted. The ignition being on puts the day running lights on and if you don't notice can quickly flatten the battery. After this happening at a meet and @T6 CFO coming to the rescue with a mini jump pack like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0752FKBFT/?tag=eliteelect-21 a number of us bought them.
I've started a few neighbours cars in the cold weather with mine. A useful £60 worth.

All my batteries are the same AGM type as are most of the Euro 6 Calis with regenerative braking, however the cables between them are not really big enough for jump starting.

I also have a small Li battery pack for such occasions.

I don't understand the reluctance about jump starting from the leisure battery, they might not be specifically optimised to provide the short burst of high amperage needed to start the engine, but the occasional use isn't going to kill it.

If totally stuck it would only take a couple of minutes to remove the passenger seat & swap the batteries over.

Alternatively, with a set of jump leads & the van plugged into the mains so the chargers working, you could probably get enough charge into the starter battery in half an hour for it to be usable.

I don't understand the reluctance about jump starting from the leisure battery, they might not be specifically optimised to provide the short burst of high amperage needed to start the engine, but the occasional use isn't going to kill it.

If totally stuck it would only take a couple of minutes to remove the passenger seat & swap the batteries over.

Alternatively, with a set of jump leads & the van plugged into the mains so the chargers working, you could probably get enough charge into the starter battery in half an hour for it to be usable.

Once I'd worked out what the issue was I did consider swapping the batteries, but taking off the passenger seat to remove the leisure battery is a real faff.

Initially I called VW assist because I was getting multiple warnings on the dashboard: "low tyre pressure", "airbag mulfunction", "brake fluid low", etc. My initial thought was I'd damaged something under the driver's chair. By the time I'd worked out my idiocy (not helped by the dashboard display) VW assist were on the way - and I was concerned that flattening the battery might have caused a secondary problem, and this concern was caused by the multiple warnings.

I would have thought that the van should have been capable of self diagnosing a simple flat battery - but perhaps the inadequate flow of electrons meant that its microprocessor couldn't think straight (human brains starved of oxygen high up on Everest send out messages to strip the body of clothing - do microprocessors starved of electrons work in a similar irrational manner?)

That kind of behaviour is very normal in a modern car with a flat / going flat battery. I've had a few alternators go on me in my time and it does start to worry you when random warning lights start appearing. Simple test, put the interior light on and see how bright it is (only really works to filament type, not LED). This will show if it's a flat battery.

Thanks Mike. That is definitely not the way I would have connected the batteries, and I'm 99% certain it is not the way the mechanic who came out connected them.

No problem Tom. That’s one reason I posted it. I was getting it wrong for years.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On a related note, it seems that you can lower the windows without the key in, by holding the button down for a few seconds. My daughter showed me this a few weeks ago!

A tip I read for connecting jump leads on modern vehicles was to switch on the vehicle with the flat battery headlights prior to connecting the jump leads.
Reason being that any power surge would be sent to the lights and not the electronics/computer system.

I also recall a friend starting his Volvo with his caravan leisure battery with no problems caused to either the leisure battery or the car. Left them connected for 20mins or so before trying to start to allow the car battery to charge from the leisure battery.

All my batteries are the same AGM type as are most of the Euro 6 Calis with regenerative braking, however the cables between them are not really big enough for jump starting.

I also have a small Li battery pack for such occasions.
How easy would it be to permanently fit a suitably switched cable between the passenger seat leisure battery and the engine battery?

My worry would be that it was bypassing the charge control circuit when you start up.
I don't have the necessary tech info to see the actual risk but in view of the complicated electronics on Cali's I'd keep clear of this option.
Perhaps this would be more in Loz's domain.

It would be quite feasible to add a switch to the split charge relay to close in this condition to allow power to flow from the leisure side and put charge back into the starter battery. You could do this for say, 30 mins, then switch it off and then start the Cali without any risk of damaging anything.

It would be quite feasible to add a switch to the split charge relay to close in this condition to allow power to flow from the leisure side and put charge back into the starter battery. You could do this for say, 30 mins, then switch it off and then start the Cali without any risk of damaging anything.
We have 200 watts of solar panel on our roof. What I have previously considered is an enhancement to allow solar to charge the engine battery if the vehicle is left unused for a long time - for example at the airport.

If I understand you correctly, a simple switch under the passenger seat can allow charge to flow from the leisure battery to the engine battery, and if the leisure battery were full, just 30 minutes would be sufficient to provide a flat engine battery with sufficient charge to start the engine.

The switch would also allow solar to charge or trickle charge the engine battery.

I suppose the main hazards would be leaving the switch on:
1. The leisure battery and engine battery would be used to start the engine.
2. Both batteries could flatten for the same reason.
3. The engine battery would be used for leisure appliances.

To mitigate these risks, the switch would only be used in exceptional circumstances, turned off before starting the engine after a flat engine battery, and a ribbon tied to the steering wheel as a reminder to turn off when left on for a long period to trickle charge the engine battery.

Yeah, but whilst you are waiting 30 mins, could you put your 12v kettle on
so you can have a brew, or would that lengthen the time.

We have 200 watts of solar panel on our roof. What I have previously considered is an enhancement to allow solar to charge the engine battery if the vehicle is left unused for a long time - for example at the airport.

If I understand you correctly, a simple switch under the passenger seat can allow charge to flow from the leisure battery to the engine battery, and if the leisure battery were full, just 30 minutes would be sufficient to provide a flat engine battery with sufficient charge to start the engine.

The switch would also allow solar to charge or trickle charge the engine battery.

I suppose the main hazards would be leaving the switch on:
1. The leisure battery and engine battery would be used to start the engine.
2. Both batteries could flatten for the same reason.
3. The engine battery would be used for leisure appliances.

To mitigate these risks, the switch would only be used in exceptional circumstances, turned off before starting the engine after a flat engine battery, and a ribbon tied to the steering wheel as a reminder to turn off when left on for a long period to trickle charge the engine battery.

Buy a power pack and all your problems with flat batteries will be solved.

Back