Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flat battery

N

Nicholas Bowers

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Had first 2 days away in our ocean, leasure batterys were full no hook-up at camp site, we had the fridge on and in evening auxiliary heating on. When we left after 2 nights main starter battery was flat and leasure battery still 80%. Went to dealer who said the fridge will flatten main battery after 6 hours I don't think that's correct, any ideas where I'm going wrong

I have run my fridge (and lights and heater) off hookup for 3 days, with charge remaining.
I’m working out that not all dealers know what they are talking about. Consider Breeze Poole who do know what is what when it comes to Californias

Had first 2 days away in our ocean, leasure batterys were full no hook-up at camp site, we had the fridge on and in evening auxiliary heating on. When we left after 2 nights main starter battery was flat and leasure battery still 80%. Went to dealer who said the fridge will flatten main battery after 6 hours I don't think that's correct, any ideas where I'm going wrong
Had you left ignition key in and on, with radio on ?

Radio usage or Fully electric sliding door can do that.

Also change Dealership, they don’t know what they are talking about.

We've had the electric door, with lots of use, flatten the main battery in less than 24 hours.

Late entry to the “why did I have a flat battery” debacle but we found ourselves in the same situation yesterday. We had been parked up off EHU in my daughters back garden in France for 3 days. The solar panel did a great job of keeping the leisures topped up but when we came to leave we found the main battery flat. Not totally - couple of turns and lights came on. We have a dashcam that is wired in but it has a voltage setting that stops the battery being flattened totally which I had set to 12V.

In the end we have determined it is because we packed up in the morning and dropped the roof but accidentally left the keys in for 2 hours while we went back into her house. That combined with an already lower than full battery due to the dashcam is very likely the issue.

I think the lesson here is that 99/100 it is more likely to be something we have done than something broken in the VW. Have upped the dash voltage cut off to 12.3.

Plugged the EHU into the mains for 20 mins via the EU plug that comes with the Cali and started first time.

Last edited:
Good call on the dash cam voltage cut off as 12volts is less that half the battery charge, Given you have the larger engine that would be the issue.....

Back