Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine battery dead

Adam O

Adam O

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
After 2 weeks being garaged I realised I had left one of the rear internal lights on (for the 2 weeks) - the small one above the sliding door. Couldn't open central locking so engine battery totally dead, leisure batteries stating 30% - thank God otherwise could've been v costly!

My question is whether this is a total coincidence with the engine battery being knackered anyway and finally died with no use for 2 weeks or whether the lighting system is some how taking power from the engine battery as well? I can't believe that would be the case.

Haven't been in to check on the engine battery since having it hooked up for 24 hours but I'm presuming it will need replacing after going completely flat. The van is a 2014, not owned from new so don't know if battery has been changed - could be just a coincidence?

Thanks,
Adam

Any light behind the cab should be from the leisure battery not the engine battery.

How long has it been flat? If you can get it charged up quickly it could recover, although if its gone below 10v for a pre-longed period it's probably no good sadly.

Is your engine battery made by MOLL ?

It’s a ‘Platinum AGM096’ which suggests already been changed, which makes it even more mysterious.

It’s a ‘Platinum AGM096’ which suggests already been changed, which makes it even more mysterious.
i think you need to find a good Autoelectrician, unless you are happy to sort this out yourself.
The engine battery needs to be properly tested to check it is OK.
The Alternator function needs to be checked.
Then you need to check if there is any current draw on the engine battery when the Ignition is Off and after at least 30 minutes of inactivity.

My California, 2014 and original battery, started first time, ambient temperature -2c, after 5 weeks parked up at Heathrow, with the Alarm on.

Just reviving this thread as it's happened again on the new battery - after 3 weeks of storage (not on trickle charge) the starter wouldn't tick over however the battery was salvageable and seems ok after a jump start and long drive.

Has anyone had an issue like this before where something is drawing current from the battery when everything is off? No lights were on and no cigarette lighter usb chargers plugged in.

Going to have to find a good autoelectrician I think.

Alarm... VW data plug left in the ODB port? USB charger left in centre 12v socket in dash?

Alarm - yes, data plug/usb no. Do people turn the alarm off when storing for a few weeks? Surely not?

Alarm - yes, data plug/usb no. Do people turn the alarm off when storing for a few weeks? Surely not?
no, but unless the battery was fully charged when you left it 3-4 weeks would be the most I would expect.

Going to have to find a good autoelectrician I think.
Definitely, something is draining the main battery. I've sometimes left mine for several weeks and never had a problem starting it.

Which vehicle do you have.?
Are indicators in the OFF position.?
If left On with ignition Off then the sidelights are left on , on the same side with no dashboard indication.

My 2014 SE is parked at Heathrow for 4 + weeks and starts 1st time in 0c temperatures. Alarm On.

Aftermarket stereo? It seems that they are often wired in poorly

Which vehicle do you have.?
Are indicators in the OFF position.?
If left On with ignition Off then the sidelights are left on , on the same side with no dashboard indication.
T5 SE 2014 DSG 190 - indicators and lights all off. I think because its happened previously, and after a shortish space of time its probably a trip to the Autoleccy, just wondered if there were some gotchas I hadn't thought of. No to aftermarket stereo. Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Control panel isnt on is it? That will draw 0.2amps
From what I can gather that is only when the screen is On. Then it goes to sleep until activated by a button press or ignition On.
I’ve left mine for 4 + weeks with Full Alarm and Control Panel not actively switched Off and no problems. Something else is causing the problem in this case.

Very good - new battery this year and a long drive before storage.
Just a thought.
Does your vehicle have BlueMotion ( Stop/Start and Regenerative Braking )?
When you had the Engine Battery changed was the vehicle plugged into the Garage Diagnostic Computer to tell the vehicle it had a new battery?
When the vehicle was jump started was the -tve lead attached to the -tve pole of the battery directly or to a chassis or engine earthing point?

Looking for advice... 7 month old Cali Ocean, sat for 4 weeks in driveway only opened elect door couple of times went in on Saturday to find engine battery dead. Is it a coincidence that last time we drove was to VW to have a Kenwood DRV 410 dash cam fitted... they said that it was linked to the 'ignition' so that shouldn't have drained the battery ... or could it ?
We stuck on hook up for an hour and up it fired ... ( understand leisure battery can give engine battery a wee boost) went for a motorway run and all seems fine again ... any thoughts ?

Looking for advise... 7 month old Cali Ocean, sat for 4 weeks in driveway only opened elect door couple of times went in on Saturday to find engine battery dead. Is it a coincidence that last time we drove was to VW to have a Kenwood DRV 410 dash cam fitted... they said that it was linked to the 'ignition' so that shouldn't have drained the battery ... or could it ?
We stuck on hook up for an hour and up it fired ... ( understand leisure battery can give engine battery a wee boost) went for a motorway run and all seems fine again ... any thoughts ?
What make is the Engine Battery?
If it is made by MOLL, then there are a batch of faulty batteries that have been fitted and VW are exchanging them under warranty.
Some modern In-car entertainment systems have 2 x power supplies. One is Ignition only for the main power but the other is constant, but very low, to maintain the computer memory, for radio stations, GPS position etc:.Not impossible for things to be wired incorrectly but not common.

What make is the Engine Battery?
If it is made by MOLL, then there are a batch of faulty batteries that have been fitted and VW are exchanging them under warranty.
Some modern In-car entertainment systems have 2 x power supplies. One is Ignition only for the main power but the other is constant, but very low, to maintain the computer memory, for radio stations, GPS position etc:.Not impossible for things to be wired incorrectly but not common.
Thanks, I'll check the make of battery in the morning (a bit dark at the moment and cold too) then I'll check model etc with VW if necessary. In car entertainment is the VW factory fitted system so wouldn't have expected that to totally empty battery.. haven't ruled out the Dash cam !

I regularly leave mine, well once every year, for 4+ weeks at Heathrow in winter and it has always started 1st time.

Back