Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flat Leisure Batteries

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Last night I moved our van to our drive to pack for our first trip of the year, and first I think since last August. The leisure batteries were showing flat.
Well they showed 40%, 10% then 0% over less than a minute after the 100 metre drive.
0D88A8AB-96D3-4F40-8E7A-4B2599AAA3FF.jpeg
40BE4BD7-2E13-4596-A7AA-131A900D4BE5.jpeg
I’ve plugged them in for 24 hours and it will be interesting to see how they recover. Despite being 15 years old I’m oddly confident they’ll bounce back. We’re off for 4 days with no hookup. Then in the summer the full 17 nights alternating hookup with no hookup as usual.

Last night I moved our van to our drive to pack for our first trip of the year, and first I think since last August. The leisure batteries were showing flat.
Well they showed 40%, 10% then 0% over less than a minute after the 100 metre drive.
View attachment 109175
View attachment 109176
I’ve plugged them in for 24 hours and it will be interesting to see how they recover. Despite being 15 years old I’m oddly confident they’ll bounce back. We’re off for 4 days with no hookup. Then in the summer the full 17 nights alternating hookup with no hookup as usual.
Try switching the unit off using L lower button. Wait 30 secs at least and the switch On using same button.

Mine on my 2010, are at 13 years of age, still going strong and in good order and lasting well.

I’ll be amazed if they’re not goosed after 15 years!
I can still get 3 days out of my 15year old batteries, I plug into the mains once a month.
also engine battery is stil original.

Well after 36 hours plugged in and 4 hrs drive with fridge on, then pitched half an hour ago, a not bad 12.6V.
A7193785-C7B3-484D-93C1-2AED1CCBBA76.jpeg
Will be interesting to see what it is in the morning.

Will a Ctek battery conditioner help revive them…?

They’re working fine.
Still showing 12.5v and 90%.

Last edited:
54396DF5-9073-4077-9401-99F8AAFEC5AC.jpeg
Still showing 12.2v and 90% in the morning. I can easily live off 15% a day! They seem completely unharmed. Perhaps they weren’t completely flat but they were definitely below 20% 2 days ago.

Last edited:
View attachment 109246
Still showing 12.2v and 90% in the morning. I can easily live off 15% a day! They seem completely unharmed. Perhaps they weren’t completely flat but they were definitely below 20% 2 days ago.
You have in fact used 40% overnight.

SoC-AGM.jpg

View attachment 109250
Will the real "State of Charge" chart please stand up. I got this version from this forum as well. @WelshGas version tallies with the battery readings on my control panel for the past 3 days.
f1743869ab2ef0d77d2800557b292f05.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

View attachment 109250
Yeah I'd suggest your batteries SOH - state of health - is probably in the 50 - 60% range. No biggie as long as they have sufficient energy to do whatever you need to do with a little margin. When that's no longer true replace them.

Will the real "State of Charge" chart please stand up. I got this version from this forum as well. @WelshGas version tallies with the battery readings on my control panel for the past 3 days.
f1743869ab2ef0d77d2800557b292f05.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
Either way my 11.5V charge was in the red zone. And the % figures do approximately tally with the chart. I would argue the 12.6 to 12.2 could count as 20% drop but it’s all an approximation. The fridge is currently on so not technically ‘at rest’.
Fridge and lights are virtually all we use. No heater or tvs! I reckon I could go 5 days easy. Just like last year.

Either way my 11.5V charge was in the red zone. And the % figures do approximately tally with the chart. I would argue the 12.6 to 12.2 could count as 20% drop but it’s all an approximation. The fridge is currently on so not technically ‘at rest’.
Fridge and lights are virtually all we use. No heater or tvs! I reckon I could go 5 days easy. Just like last year.
You would need to turn the fridge off and wait a short while to do the reading. The current for the fridge can pull the reading down by 0.1 or 0.2 which on your chart would make a huge difference to your percentage use.

From my understanding, determining the battery charge % level by reading the voltage has to be done with no load.

That is, turn off all current draining devices, including the fridge, and then check the battery voltage level.

Under load the battery voltage will show lower and sometimes significantly lower than without load.

Well after 5 days and 4 nights it shows 12.3V and 70% ten minutes after turning the fridge off. Exactly like the above charts.

B0B15F90-C177-4C59-98A0-4D2191B40EA8.jpeg
We did go for a 30 minute drive to change campsite 2 nights ago. Not sure what that proves but they seem to be functioning normally after going into the red zone and showing 0%, even after 15 years. Never gone below 12v since I plugged them in and charged them up 5 days ago.

Last edited:
Back