Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flat starter battery

AFAIK The duoracer only charges the secondary battery when the primary is almost full (at float).

You might prefer something like the Votronic 3065 Battery Master - Standby-charger 12V C8451.

Wiring is simpler too.

How about fitting a mppt charger (eg Victron) to your starter battery so when on site (or anywhere) you can just plug your solar panel straight into it - giving yourself a simple plug and go solution?

My t6 is a 2016 and I replaced both batteries last year, and mine has never been flat. Its a cheap solution to avoid problems. You need a new battery.
I have a device connected by the cigarette lighters plus pole which trickle charges the engine battery from the solar charged second battery. It works really well

I’m getting some really useful advice and information in this thread. Thanks.

I’ve been looking at @Roger Donoghue site for a solar charger upgrade and found this.

It sounds like just what I need.
I swapped my Victron to this one to get starter trickle charge. The conditions for it to do this are very tight to the point Roger warned me it would never be enough to recharge the starter if it was being over used. Guide on here somewhere. I ended up routing behind the sink.

He was right.

Seems to be enough though for long periods standing on drive so good enough for me.

During our year away I don’t believe that we ever spent more than three days without driving.

The first (non stupidity caused) flat was when we were camped for two weeks in southern Spain one Easter. Subsequently, and until this latest week in the Netherlands, if we hadn’t driven for more than 3 or 4 days I had run the engine until the stop/start stopped the engine.

So I think the ideal solution will be a new battery, plus a new solar charger and some clever wiring under the passenger seat to allow the solar panels on the roof to trickle charge the starter battery.

A temporary solution will be to trickle charge the engine battery (either the current one or a new one) with my folding solar panel and its cheap solar charger.

3a1a533391d9c7db2f62e00fff8a8497.jpg
It’s only an urban legend that 2 bananas near a solar panel help it charge. The Mythbusters team disproved it a few years ago.

I'm struggling with the logic of people suggesting spending £600 on solar panels just to delay spending £150 on a new battery.

I'm struggling with the logic of people suggesting spending £600 on solar panels just to delay spending £150 on a new battery.
Yup, just replaced our Golf 150 diesel stop/start battery after 8 years and 100k. I agree the battery needs changing first. Should solve the problem.

If you camp off grid, or don't want to pay 5 euros per night on a campsite for electricity (year after year), you are cheaper off with solar panels.

The decision to replace our starter battery has been made. The discussion now is about whether it is worth continuously trickle charging it with solar.

We already have the solar panels:
220 watts on the roof
100 watts folding and portable

Trickle charging the battery from the 100w folding and portable panel is a zero cost option, but needs setting up each time.

Trickle charging from the 220w installed on the roof requires a solar charger upgrade and some wiring, but should be fit and forget. The charger upgrade would be about £70 plus wiring.

The further suggestion is that if I am going to trickle charge the engine battery to test it out with the old battery which will be chucked/recycled anyway, before messing around with a brand new battery. This makes perfect sense.

I’m anticipating the new AGM battery to cost in the region of £250. I’ll be delighted if there’s a suitable one for £150.

During our year away I don’t believe that we ever spent more than three days without driving.

The first (non stupidity caused) flat was when we were camped for two weeks in southern Spain one Easter. Subsequently, and until this latest week in the Netherlands, if we hadn’t driven for more than 3 or 4 days I had run the engine until the stop/start stopped the engine.

So I think the ideal solution will be a new battery, plus a new solar charger and some clever wiring under the passenger seat to allow the solar panels on the roof to trickle charge the starter battery.

A temporary solution will be to trickle charge the engine battery (either the current one or a new one) with my folding solar panel and its cheap solar charger.

3a1a533391d9c7db2f62e00fff8a8497.jpg
I like the way you put the bananas there so we could get a sense of scale

The decision to replace our starter battery has been made. The discussion now is about whether it is worth continuously trickle charging it with solar.

We already have the solar panels:
220 watts on the roof
100 watts folding and portable

Trickle charging the battery from the 100w folding and portable panel is a zero cost option, but needs setting up each time.

Trickle charging from the 220w installed on the roof requires a solar charger upgrade and some wiring, but should be fit and forget. The charger upgrade would be about £70 plus wiring.

The further suggestion is that if I am going to trickle charge the engine battery to test it out with the old battery which will be chucked/recycled anyway, before messing around with a brand new battery. This makes perfect sense.

I’m anticipating the new AGM battery to cost in the region of £250. I’ll be delighted if there’s a suitable one for £150.
Certainly, before you install your new battery, find the best solution for you to charge your starter battery in the way you like it most (dual battery charger, fit and forget).
And if you don't want to keep charging your starter battery all day long, buy a switch from VW (for example a switch for flashing lights) so you can put them on or off.
Oh, wait, you have a T6? I don't know if you can buy a single switch like for the T5.
Maybe try this partnumber: 7D094332701C
How does your dashboard look like, for space for extra buttons?

I have this device connected with the plus poles of two cigarette plugs, one on the dash and to the leisure battery behind the seat. 27£ https://www.amazon.se/VOTRONIC-3065...4&psc=1&mcid=c4186fb0aa4037959100d1e6499ce4e3
I've gone for the same option : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NVCRIH2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Not had to use it yet, but hoped it was a handy and cheap get-out-of-jail option as I've got solar on the leisure batteries already and the electric sliding door sucking the life out of the engine battery (as an aside on the door - I didn't choose it, I do like it, but will probably end up regretting it). Happy for someone to tell me this won't work if they've already tried it.