Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flexi solar panel

E

Evans184

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi I'm new to all this, a quick question for you all has anyone fitted a solar panel to there van?? Thanks again Ben

Welcome on your first post .
There are treads on solarpanels and DIY solarpanels ...."search" might give some info
The thin flexi ones are less popular i think due the higher price.

My understanding is that there are 2 issues with stick on panels :
1) they can be less efficient than raised panels due to a build up of heat
2) gluing anything to a Cali roof that is under warranty (3 or 6 years) is just inviting vw to turn any problems away.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new to all this, a quick question for you all has anyone fitted a solar panel to there van?? Thanks again Ben
I have recently fitted 200 watts of panels to my van. Easy to do, and they bolt onto the roof rails.

Not cheap, but I hope never to have to hookup again, and they should prolong the battery life.

I have recently fitted 200 watts of panels to my van. Easy to do, and they bolt onto the roof rails.

Not cheap, but I hope never to have to hookup again, and they should prolong the battery life.
Where did you get them from??

I have a flexi panel on my old van, they are very good and a little more expensive than the thicker versions but much lower profile. I think Roger's setup uses the thinner flexi panel with some custom made brackets to avoid the need for bonding?

I much prefer the lower profile ones to the thick framed ones personally, less drag, noise and less noticeable.

I have a flexi panel on my old van, they are very good and a little more expensive than the thicker versions but much lower profile. I think Roger's setup uses the thinner flexi panel with some custom made brackets to avoid the need for bonding?

I much prefer the lower profile ones to the thick framed ones personally, less drag, noise and less noticeable.
Sounds good could you point me to his website??

Back