Fly-screen in the sliding door from Maxxcamp

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So here i show the very easy to put in magnetic fly-screen for the sliding door on the T5 and 6
It comes from Maxxcamp and i bought it few weeks ago at Camper Centrum Nederland where i was for a oil change and check-up on my 2012 SE .
Some saw it at the meet last week in Tewksbury , now here a few foto's
It can stay in place and still close the sliding door , easy from outside using the outside handle , bit harder from inside to reach to the inside handle.
Brandrup got simular to attach with velcro you need to stick one side off the velcro permanent in the dooropening , think magnets are much easyer.
One thing , the Brandrup one is 152euro in the cataloge , don't ask the price on thisone becouse it is higher....:confused: but just a few € ....say 8....:D
Again a overpriced item but it comes handy , as it already did the last two weeks on our Wales trip.
Guess the midges in Schotland just fly through and eat you.....
http://www.maxxcamp.de/en/index.php
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Just the job.
Have enjoyed reading your journey round Wales. Beautiful photos.

Does it fit with magnets all the way around, Is there not too much plastic trim around the door opening?

Does it fit with magnets all the way around, Is there not too much plastic trim around the door opening?
A perfect fit a magnet say each 30cm i think , don't got it in at this moment ...it's still raining lightly in Wales:(

Aah, but is the mesh narrow enough to stop the wee midgees gettn thru?

Hotel California would you possibly have any pictures of the sliding door magnetic fly screen from the inside of the California? I have looked at the Brandrup one but don't fancy sticking velcro permanently inside. This one looks brilliant!

So here i show the very easy to put in magnetic fly-screen for the sliding door on the T5 and 6
It comes from Maxxcamp and i bought it few weeks ago at Camper Centrum Nederland where i was for a oil change and check-up on my 2012 SE .
It can stay in place and still close the sliding door , easy from outside using the outside handle , bit harder from inside to reach to the inside handle.
Brandrup got simular to attach with velcro you need to stick one side off the velcro permanent in the dooropening , think magnets are much easyer.
One thing , the Brandrup one is 152euro in the cataloge , don't ask the price on thisone becouse it is higher....:confused: but just a few € ....say 8....:D
Again a overpriced item but it comes handy , as it already did the last two weeks on our Wales trip.
View attachment 14713
View attachment 14714

We bought the same when on the factory visit … its exellent! Easy to fit, sits snug and no velco og other stuff padded to the car.

Hotel California would you possibly have any pictures of the sliding door magnetic fly screen from the inside of the California? I have looked at the Brandrup one but don't fancy sticking velcro permanently inside. This one looks brilliant!

Have you looked at the first post....?
The inside look thesame.

Oops sorry - I can see now that it is attached on the outside of the door frame !! thank you

That looks brilliant, but I struggle to see how they can justify charging 160 euros for it though. If I were travelling somewhere midgy though, I'm sure it would be a godsend.

That looks brilliant, but I struggle to see how they can justify charging 160 euros for it though. If I were travelling somewhere midgy though, I'm sure it would be a godsend.

Have you ever let a carpenter make you a fly screen for a window in your house....
How much do you think that would cost?
This Maxxcamp screen is waaay much handy to put up than the Brandrup one .
Brandrup uses velcro witch afther a while probally the adesive tape comes lose (as it is thesame with the utility bags) , Brandrup items are great but as for the fly-screen they got a concurrent .
Maxxcamp screen had build in magnets....easy to put up and take of.

Last edited:
Have you ever let a carpenter make you a fly screen for a window in your house....
Brandrup uses velcro witch afther a while tbe adesive tape comes lose (as it is thesame with the utility bags)
It does look good. My husband always says my perception of the price/value of things is 20 years behind the curve! He has no such qualms, and our spending for our lovely Cali continues to grow ... it's like having a new baby!

Brandrup uses velcro witch afther a while probally the adesive tape comes lose (as it is thesame with the utility bags) , Brandrup items are great but as for the fly-screen they got a concurrent .
On their website it mentions there are both magnets and Velcro. Does it work with just the magnets? It's some time since you posted this. How has it stood the test of time? Does it keep tiny midges as well mosquitoes out? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@California4x4

Don't know if there is a model with velcro .
Haven't been to Schotland so can't say if it is midges free....;)
I am happy with it so far , don't put it in constant .

View attachment 14713
View attachment 14714
Loving the doggie print throw x

have a look through this thread, easy to make your own. I did it for less than a tenner.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cheap-mozzie-net.14731/

Agree on DIY is cheaper , but .....
It is not all that sealed arround all de sides (lower part)
Does not has a zipper for easy acces
How do you put your magnets on when getting inside.....or do you put it in from outside and then acces your cali via the driversdoor....;) ?
What effect have your magntes when you slam the door?

Each spent theire money on what they prefer....:thumb

@Brindisi , my girl comes in the first place...she can go on the seat if a blanket is on top.....:)

have a look through this thread, easy to make your own. I did it for less than a tenner.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cheap-mozzie-net.14731/
Brilliant...magnets, why did t I think of that
I have been using a mosinet that is designed to go over a bed....we had it for camping, and i have been using string to hold it in place....worked fine, but magnets are so much easier
Thanks .....yet again....
I have got to get to meet some of you, I almost feel I know you
Though, like the caractères in the Archers, you probably don't look like my mental image!

Agree on DIY is cheaper , but .....
How do you put your magnets on when getting inside.....or do you put it in from outside and then acces your cali via the driversdoor....;) ?

Each spent theire money on what they prefer....:thumb

@Brindisi , my girl comes in the first place...she can go on the seat if a blanket is on top.....:)
Ditto , same with Maisie my pooch :kiss

I can only speak about the one I made, I bought some self adhesive velcro and put this around the opening in key areas and places to keep the screen close to the van body. There is no zip for an opening but the two doors have sewn in magnets that keep the doors together. We do not need a screen all the time only occasionally and we just fit it (takes seconds) when required and remove it when we packup for the night. Haven't tried it with the door shut, not sure it would stay in place permanently.
So, good to have a cheap screen for occasional use, alternatively a Brandrup or Maxxcamp one if you require a fit and forget quality item.

An update for new people who may be wondering about a midge net for the sliding door and have read the thread larrylamb mentioned. Our Argos version works very well, we use it a lot. It is a single piece of fabric so we just undo a few magnets and slink out sideways! Cost about £10 and took approx 2hrs to make.

Hi All

Has anyone else bought the above product?

Does the sliding door shut with the net fitted or do you have to remove the net before completely closing the sliding door?

Any hints, please, on how to install mosquito net.

Thanks for any feed back