Fog lamp failure

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello One and All

I rarely use my fog lamps but when I needed them in Scotland last month one of the rears (nearside) didn't light up.

I have just removed the bulb and it is fine. I put the reversing light bulb in to check, that didn't work either, so it is obviously the reversing light holder, wiring etc.

Does each bulb have its own fuse somewhere or am I looking at something more serious.

It had a major service about a week before I wanted to use it.

Thank you

There is only one fog light on the back i believe the drivers side thats why the bulb didn't light up on the nearside

There is only one fog light on the back i believe the drivers side thats why the bulb didn't light up on the nearside
I have two. But the nearside , which has a good bulb, doesn't work.

Do you think it has been disconnected for the UK market?

Hello One and All

I rarely use my fog lamps but when I needed them in Scotland last month one of the rears (nearside) didn't light up.

I have just removed the bulb and it is fine. I put the reversing light bulb in to check, that didn't work either, so it is obviously the reversing light holder, wiring etc.

Does each bulb have its own fuse somewhere or am I looking at something more serious.

It had a major service about a week before I wanted to use it.

Thank you
Hi Antony, I have done exactly the same as you. If you look closely even though there seems to be a bulb in the fog light socket there is no wiring to the relevant terminal in the back of the plug. Took me ages to work it out.

i think its a legal requirement to only have one so as not to look like brake light coming on

That’s been a gripe of mine in the past on a couple of vehicles. The single foglight needs to be on the offside but of course when you go to the continent then it’s on the wrong side! Should either be switchable or have two. Anybody here wired in the second foglight?

That’s been a gripe of mine in the past on a couple of vehicles. The single foglight needs to be on the offside but of course when you go to the continent then it’s on the wrong side! Should either be switchable or have two. Anybody here wired in the second foglight?

That's very true and from a distance you could look like a motorbike hugging the curb.

i think its a legal requirement to only have one so as not to look like brake light coming on
2 in UK is OK but Countries such as Germany only permit one on the left side. That was the law way back.

2 in UK is OK but Countries such as Germany only permit one on the left side. That was the law way back.
And there is the problem! So what does a UK Cali owner do if caught in fog in Germany? Break the law with one foglight on the wrong side, or break the law by having two fog lights, or pull over and put the kettle on and wait for the fog to clear. Switchable solution would be ideal.

And there is the problem! So what does a UK Cali owner do if caught in fog in Germany? Break the law with one foglight on the wrong side, or break the law by having two fog lights, or pull over and put the kettle on and wait for the fog to clear. Switchable solution would be ideal.
Visitor wouldn't come under full regulations.

If memory serves British built cars come with 2 fog lights and European cars come with just 1, sometimes the reversing light is in place of the other.

I think this is different according to different models of vehicle.

On my July 2017 T6, both rear fog lights are active.

Now had a chance to check my new Cali Ocean (MY21). It has two rear fog lights.

Back