Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding mirror - has anyone replaced the motor?

silversurfer

silversurfer

The offside folding mirror on my 2010SE is getting tired of folding. I've managed to persuade it to fold today after many attempts, but it makes a 'gear not happy' noise and is slower than the nearside. I see that the motor / gear item is available to buy - has anyone experience of fitting one of these?

The offside folding mirror on my 2010SE is getting tired of folding. I've managed to persuade it to fold today after many attempts, but it makes a 'gear not happy' noise and is slower than the nearside. I see that the motor / gear item is available to buy - has anyone experience of fitting one of these?
I haven't changed the motor, but I repaired a manual mirror.
In both cases, you will have to take off the mirror cap and glass. Then take out all the electric wires. Then compressing the spring. I used 2 or 3 heavy tie wraps. Then undo the clip. Take apart the mirror, and in your case, try to locate the motor.
There must be some videos on youtube or other video websites.

IMG_20200110_155835.jpg
This is from a manual mirror.
spiegelvoet.jpg

This video may help ...

This video may help ...
Thanks, yes, seen this one- but he's repairing one where the mirror has been knocked and the bracket bent. Maybe I don't need to do all this stuff for just the motor?

I haven't changed the motor, but I repaired a manual mirror.
In both cases, you will have to take off the mirror cap and glass. Then take out all the electric wires. Then compressing the spring. I used 2 or 3 heavy tie wraps. Then undo the clip. Take apart the mirror, and in your case, try to locate the motor.
There must be some videos on youtube or other video websites.

View attachment 128745
This is from a manual mirror.
View attachment 128746
Thanks for the reply - given that I want to replace the motor (hopefully nothing else), I couldn't see from this movie what really needed doing.

Back