Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding mirror problem

barry

barry

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
My 57 plate 4Motion's folding mirrors have been working fine until now.
Driver side mirror will not fold in when told to.
Passenger side is OK.

Driver side mirror seems to be getting the electrical instruction OK I think because it visibly twitches and I think I hear a clunk. But nothing else happens.

So it sounds like there's something mechanical gone wrong under the skin?
Is it possible to pop off the cover and see inside (without wrecking the whole unit)?
Any guidance would be welcome.

First thing to try is to disconnect the battery for ten minutes and see if a reset helps.

Does the mirror feel secure when it is folded open? Does it make any noise when trying to fold in like a clicking noise?

cheers

Thanks Alex, my younger son has the van until Monday then I'll give this a shot. Barry

smgcowfold said:
First thing to try is to disconnect the battery for ten minutes and see if a reset helps.

Does the mirror feel secure when it is folded open? Does it make any noise when trying to fold in like a clicking noise?

cheers

The good news: Mirror started to fold properly after disconnecting as suggested.
Only tried this intervention 3 weeks ago. Excellent tip, thanks.

The bad news: While parked in a narrow street (stupidly, with the mirror unfolded) the mirror was totalled. Mirror, housing and fitting £320 incl VAT - just got it back. Lesson learned, van AND mirror now properly parked ;)

Anyone know if you can programme the Cali to fold the mirrors on locking the doors? I had this on a Nissan Terrano. It was fab :D

Cheers,

Andy

slowcoach65 said:
Anyone know if you can programme the Cali to fold the mirrors on locking the doors? I had this on a Nissan Terrano. It was fab :D

Cheers,

Andy

Stu is the guy to ask, but I don't think it is possible.

I don't think that this is possible. Never seen a T5 or T5.5 with this feature.

cheers

It's something that should be achievable as the electrics for the central locking motors and the rotating wing mirrors are in the doors.

Should be achievable using a relay in parallel with the selector switch contacts

My only concern is the life of the mirror rotating motor. It's probably not designed to be used every time the central locking operates. Mine certainly has the odd squeak

Should be achievable using a relay in parallel with the selector switch contacts

Not advisable to do that till warranty has run out. Will invalidate electrical side of warranty.

On some VAG models this is possible by pressing and holding the lock button on the key fob. If its not enabled it can sometimes be coded in with VCDS. On the T5 I don't think it's possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How about reversing into a fence post and bending the mirror ever so slightly?
My good lady did this a few weeks ago and I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to fix it. It's only twisted out maybe 1 inch.
I guess it should be possible to take the cover off and then remove the mirror housing and try to straighten the rod - but how. Any idea's :?
Thanks

Alex + SMG would be able to advise but I think the covers tend to break during removal.

Generally when the covers are removed the locking tabs break. We can do it without breaking them a lot of the time, but no guarentees. Cost adds up when you have to get a primed cover and get it painted.

Worth trying to remove it gently to repair it first.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Generally when the covers are removed the locking tabs break. We can do it without breaking them a lot of the time, but no guarentees. Cost adds up when you have to get a primed cover and get it painted.

Worth trying to remove it gently to repair it first.

cheers

Alex.

Could you colour code my mirrors? And how much?

I know normally sunny yellow vans don't have the mirrors coloured

James

Thanks Stu / Alex. I think I might build up the courage to try and take the cover off, but after Christmas!!