Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding Mirrors on Ocean T6 MY18

Mine was build May 2017 has fold away mirrors on switch on door but key fob does not work is it the lock button you hold down
Picked my Ocean up in June, mirrors only fold via switch on door.
On a bright side found out that if I hold the open button on key fob for more than 2 second the windows open, if press and hold close button on key fob, the windows close

Probably a thread for this somewhere but in a nutshell, what the blinkin' 'eck is Carista, VCDS and OBDelven?
I am guessing from the last title that you plug these things in and it allows you to change some settings?

T6 with euro 5 spec can be done
euro 6 my17 can’t
my18 is now factory standard.
Is that standard that they will fold from locking with the key ?

Picked my Ocean up in June, mirrors only fold via switch on door.
On a bright side found out that if I hold the open button on key fob for more than 2 second the windows open, if press and hold close button on key fob, the windows close
If you venture over the bridge in to Gloucestershire I’d be happy to program that for you if your passing..

My Cali was made in July this year so a 2018 model spec, the dealer said that they did not fold automatically so having read this thread I will now do as suggested and hold the lock button down for the required time to see if it works and that they unfold when the ignition is switched back on. If it works I will smugly inform the sales guy who sold me the van. I looked for anything in the Cali manual about this as my A4 Allroad has a setting in the vehicle central locking menu that you can tick so that this happens when the car is locked, but nothing mentioned in the Cali manual. One word of warning though leave your mirrors unfolded in icy conditions as having them unfold, or try to unfold, when they are frozen up can damage the motors.

One word of warning though leave your mirrors unfolded in icy conditions as having them unfold, or try to unfold, when they are frozen up can damage the motors.
I agreed with your post though I'm not sure about this bit.
I have folding mirrors now and many people asked the same question on the Evoque forum.
There was a customer service rep on there who would take such queries and deal with them. For the Evoque at least, the answer was they are designed to be used all year round.
OK VW may have a different stance but that would be a short coming.

What I was meaning is if left folded overnight in freezing conditions the mirrors will freeze up in the closed position, particularly if it has rained then frozen. This happened a couple of times on my previous A4 Allroad.

I understood that Mark.
So Land Rover claim theirs can deal with things like that.
It may or may not be the case with VW and Audi too.
Clearly you have had experience that they suffered on your audi. Whether that means they were supposed to be able to handle it and failed to do so or whether they weren't designed to handle it ...who knows?

This is sort of what I meant though it doesn't show the mirrors after a frozen start but as I said in a previous post owners were assured by the rep it would be OK to use the folding function.

It's also handy to 'fold' the mirrors occasionally as any residual water in the mirror housing is tipped out.
I only noticed this when the Cali was left out in the rain and I 'parked' the mirrors.

I've seen it mentioned on older posts that the mirrors do not fold on locking.

But looking at this Dutch video of the MY18 changes they also report this has now been added (from 5.06)

Did this change make it to the uk version of the ocean which has folding mirrors as standard?

Can anyone with a recent Build confirm?

Thanks

Yes I have it on mine too,MY18. Lock the doors using the remote and hold the button down.
The windows go up & the mirrors rotate.

Reactions: Loz
I agreed with your post though I'm not sure about this bit.
I have folding mirrors now and many people asked the same question on the Evoque forum.
There was a customer service rep on there who would take such queries and deal with them. For the Evoque at least, the answer was they are designed to be used all year round.
OK VW may have a different stance but that would be a short coming.

I wouldn't fold them when its icy unless I was parked somewhere where I really needed to. I wouldn't consider it a design fault, it's no different to windscreen wipers sticking to the screen when its really icy, just need to be sensible about it.

VW appear to be in no more in control of the weather than they are in control of their own vehicle emissions :shocked

It is a fact that below freezing and stuff being wet then things freeze up, as @andyinluton rightly observes with his example of wipers stuck to windscreens. At this time of year I am using -15 degree windscreen wash, thermal external screens for the windscreen when parked up and leave my mirrors where the heating elements can defrost them and they are ready to use.

A bit like Sunday, trying to reverse Jo's caravan in sideways sleet and snow and having the proximity indicators beeping away hysterically, almost causing me to have an attack of the vapours trying to see what I was about to hit. I solved the problem by getting out and clearing frozen slush off the sensor apertures :shocked I would no more consider that a design fault of the proximity devices than a folded mirror frozen in place.

Last edited:
Mine used to do it on the lock fob activation, but have now decided that they dont want to do it any more from the remote. They work fine on the internal mirror switch though. Ive tried it on the fob on each and every setting in the internal mirror dial. Still nothing. Any ideas anyone?

Mine used to do it on the lock fob activation, but have now decided that they dont want to do it any more from the remote. They work fine on the internal mirror switch though. Ive tried it on the fob on each and every setting in the internal mirror dial. Still nothing. Any ideas anyone?
Do your windows open and close with the fob still?

Hi Loz, yes ive just been to the garage and checked and windows still work on the fob up and down
Interesting, so what has changed since the last time you were able to fold them up with the fob?
Do you have any extra settings in the MFD?

No nothing in Mfd. I set that and leave it.
There was something unusual though last week, the window switch wouldnt send the window all the way up with one pull. Had to keep finger pulled back on switch for it to go right to the top. However after having the roof up at the weekend, it worked again, briefly. Now it doesn’t again. Unsure if the problems are connected??

Okay, door controllers often do this when they lose power or get reprogrammed.

Try and recalibrate both windows by doing this.

Press and hold the window button to drive the window down, when it stops let go and press it down again and hold it for 5 seconds.
Now pull it up (sometimes it jumps up and stops but just pull up again) when you get to the top let go and pull the button up again and hold for 5 seconds like you did on the way down.
Check the one-touch down and up works.
Repeat this on the other door.

Now the one-touch is recalibrated test the folding mirrors.

Okay, door controllers often do this when they lose power or get reprogrammed.

Try and recalibrate both windows by doing this.

Press and hold the window button to drive the window down, when it stops let go and press it down again and hold it for 5 seconds.
Now pull it up (sometimes it jumps up and stops but just pull up again) when you get to the top let go and pull the button up again and hold for 5 seconds like you did on the way down.
Check the one-touch down and up works.
Repeat this on the other door.

Now the one-touch is recalibrated test the folding mirrors.
Brilliant, and thank you. I’ll try it on the weekend when I get it out and revert back with results.

Back