Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Food for 1st night in France

You're right @Ch1pbutty :) Husband would give game away anyway as he can't/won't tell a lie. What about chunky cod in batter? Seems to say fish can be taken over. The Danes won't have eaten fish and chips a la Waitrose before.

You're right @Ch1pbutty :) Husband would give game away anyway as he can't/won't tell a lie. What about chunky cod in batter? Seems to say fish can be taken over. The Danes won't have eaten fish and chips a la Waitrose before.
Would make a change from pickled Herrings!

Would make a change from pickled Herrings!
our fridge always has that in it <<shudders>>

So can I take fish and chips? (well I'm confident I can take the chips)

Loads of vegan stuff about these days burgers and sausages or fake chicken all very nice. Be warned a lot of french haven’t a clue what vegan is!
Neither have I. Ok I do but if the point is not to consume anything from an animal why would any vegan want to eat a fake chicken or a pretend sausage?

our fridge always has that in it <<shudders>>

So can I take fish and chips? (well I'm confident I can take the chips)
chips - potato - vegetable - banned?

Fish isn't banned but if battered would be due to the batter.

Neither have I. Ok I do but if the point is not to consume anything from an animal why would any vegan want to eat a fake chicken or a pretend sausage?
I’m not vegan, I don’t thing vegans(ex was) do.
Companies market the stuff for the likes of meat eaters to try vegan/veggie to tempt them.

I’m a pescatarian, you may not of heard of that

I’m not vegan, I don’t thing vegans(ex was) do.
Companies market the stuff for the likes of meat eaters to try vegan/veggie to tempt them.

I’m a pescatarian, you may not of heard of that
Whether someone is a:
  • Lacto-vegetarian...
  • Ovo-vegetarian...
  • Lacto-Ovo-vegetarian...
  • Flexitarian...
  • Fruitarian...
  • Pescatarian..
  • Vegan..
  • Gluten free..
  • Non citrus
  • Etc etc etc
is fine by me and isn't an issue. My rather pedantic tongue in cheek remark was: Why pretend a food item is something that it's clearly not? It's not fooling anyone.

To the OP, have you tried looking at the following thread ? It deals with broadly the same topic.

I travelled to Spain(Santander) on 24th.June and didn't get searched.
Maybe random searches like previously. Do they ask what food you have in you r fridge? I remember the first time we went to France in the van and we were asked (on the UK side) if we had any knives....We said yes it’s a camper van..never asked anything else.

I really hope this nonsense is sorted/scrapped by summer next year. We too often arrive late at a campsite and just want to quickly cook something and go to bed. It’s ridiculous. EU is within its rights but it’s not like all our produce has suddenly changed, just the legal status of the van it came in. Are we allowed to take French wine into France? Crazy.

The larger service stations have a good stock of meals, salads, snacks etc in the fridge. Not the sort of food you would eat every day, but fine for a quick fill.
Many shops shut at 10. Find an aire with lots of lorries parked up and street lighting for security. I slept in the van in one last night on A26. The low rumble of dozens of reefer trailers was strangely comforting. The smaller wcs only Aires are a bit more isolated.
Really?

@Ting Tong I know what it's like, - very handy to stop at a quiet aire for 10 mins rather than faff about on your way.

I have had a look on other sites including Piston Heads where others asked the same question and it seems that currently, apart from a gleeful few Dutch customs staff keen to make an example in January, the practical situation is that your personal food is not being investigated or confiscated. You could always take what you want and plead ignorance if asked - a sensible default approach to stupid situations like this. You can then hand over the dangerous contraband if required and you have pot noodle and beer as backup.

My take on French sandwiches on the Autoroute - they are always made from wet cardboard and boiled egg seems to be more or less compulsory in the filling. Yuk.
The larger aires have cafe/restaurant too, but not open all night.

Maybe random searches like previously. Do they ask what food you have in you r fridge? I remember the first time we went to France in the van and we were asked (on the UK side) if we had any knives....We said yes it’s a camper van..never asked anything else.
I went Eurotunnel Weds. Logged attestation on website. Checked in. Had vax cert but was never asked for it by either lot. That's it, no search, no questions, no check on gas turned off. Drove off other end. Couple other things. Yes Cali fits under the 2.0 metre bar at tolls. Yes get a Bip and Go Toll pay device, especially if like me you have no passenger to do ticket and card. 38.6 mpg doing mainly 130 kmh Calais to Perpignan. Finally, ACC learnt quickly that passing trucks on the left is ok - how did it do this, or did I push a button by accident? Bon voyage à tous.

I went Eurotunnel Weds. Logged attestation on website. Checked in. Had vax cert but was never asked for it by either lot. That's it, no search, no questions, no check on gas turned off. Drove off other end. Couple other things. Yes Cali fits under the 2.0 metre bar at tolls. Yes get a Bip and Go Toll pay device, especially if like me you have no passenger to do ticket and card. 38.6 mpg doing mainly 130 kmh Calais to Perpignan. Finally, ACC learnt quickly that passing trucks on the left is ok - how did it do this, or did I push a button by accident? Bon voyage à tous. Oh and I had food in van.

So we've arrived in Denmark. Drove through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany to get here. The only place we were asked about our vaccine status was the campsite we spent one night in, in Germany. Don't you love the Germans :) No one has asked about our PCR test.
Only land border in operation was Germany/Denmark. They were pulling vehicles off and as we got closer saw a VW camper being pulled over, couldn't see where registered and there were about 3 infront of it.
They didn't even make eye contact with us! We sailed straight through. Very weird as we have GB plates.

So we've arrived in Denmark. Drove through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany to get here. The only place we were asked about our vaccine status was the campsite we spent one night in, in Germany. Don't you love the Germans :) No one has asked about our PCR test.
Only land border in operation was Germany/Denmark. They were pulling vehicles off and as we got closer saw a VW camper being pulled over, couldn't see where registered and there were about 3 infront of it.
They didn't even make eye contact with us! We sailed straight through. Very weird as we have GB plates.
Possibly the GB Plate is like having a 'Plague' warning. Fear of the Delta variant.

Glad to hear you are having an easy experience. I am still waiting for my chance to show off my EU vaccination passport and despite crossing various borders, still not had a chance. The European experience is very different from what the U.K. papers would have you believe. Writing this from the clearest freshwater lake I have ever seen anywhere and not a mask in sight. Normality feels great.

Glad to hear you are having an easy experience. I am still waiting for my chance to show off my EU vaccination passport and despite crossing various borders, still not had a chance. The European experience is very different from what the U.K. papers would have you believe. Writing this from the clearest freshwater lake I have ever seen anywhere and not a mask in sight. Normality feels great.
Sorry but I think we might be in a different situation. We are not here on holiday and we would certainly not be here (in the middle of a pandemic) if we did not think it was a serious enough situation to see family.
I actually could not give a sing about clear water lakes. Your "normality" I think is a long way off

Sorry but I think we might be in a different situation. We are not here on holiday and we would certainly not be here (in the middle of a pandemic) if we did not think it was a serious enough situation to see family.
I actually could not give a sing about clear water lakes. Your "normality" I think is a long way off
Will just assume you had a bad day. You are in a thread about people travelling via France on holiday and then kick off when people actually do get out and about? I am glad for you that you have got to travel to see your family, still difficult to do for a lot of people wanting to visit family in UK but cannot due to the UKs own rules pretty much preventing me, and those like me, from going “home”. Making the most of life within the rules should be applauded which is all I was doing.

Will just assume you had a bad day. You are in a thread about people travelling via France on holiday and then kick off when people actually do get out and about? I am glad for you that you have got to travel to see your family, still difficult to do for a lot of people wanting to visit family in UK but cannot due to the UKs own rules pretty much preventing me, and those like me, from going “home”. Making the most of life within the rules should be applauded which is all I was doing.
I Agree, it seemed a bit rude, even to me,lol
from someone who was asking about smuggling Waitrose battered cod
and chips into DK.
Like there's no fish to be had there, and making batter is too tricky, and
cooking it, forget it. :D

EU is within its rights but it’s not like all our produce has suddenly changed, just the legal status of the van it came in.
It makes perfect sense to me. After all, a young person from the UK hoping to live and work in the EU has not suddenly changed, just the legal status of the passport they come in with.

Perhaps it's a good idea if people try and read the original posters question a bit better before they answer.

Half of the replies in this thread give advise about where you can shop for food in France, where to find restaurants, or the quality of the French cuisine. When he specifically mentions in his post that this is what he -doesnt- want to do.

I'm sure the original poster knows there are shops in France, as well as gas stations and restaurants and that the French are known for their great food.

But he mentions clearly that he doesnt want to stop to shop or visit a restaurant --because he wants to make some miles, e.a. keep driving--. It's a matter of not losing time and not a matter of being adverse to french shops, restaurants or food. If you read the post, this is obvious.

Reading helps:

- the original poster getting a usefull answer to the question
- the thread from going directions it shouldn't

just my 2 cents.
Totally agree with your 2 cents ThomasHG

Well I am French, and totally blown away by this post existing at all, as well as the replies, what a waste of time. Firstly French food is amongst the worlds most finest. Secondly, France isn’t the 3rd world, the majority of fuel stations offer salads and sandwiches at a modest prices. We even have Coca Cola, and energy drinks :thumb. You make it sound like you are taking your Cali to the Falklands. Don’t worry, you will eat very well, gain several pounds, and relish your expedition. Now if you wrote here about French drivers and driving, I’d understand, but food, no lol.

Enjoy your trip
Mange tout Rodney, mange tout! (Sorry - reference to a classic Brit comedy show)

Back