Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

For Those Also Renting Their Beloved 'Vans....

R

Russell Haldane

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Come renewal time, any recommendations please for Vehicle / Driver Cover to provide for all the usual eventualities....?

Our Agreement Terms are currently over 30's only, UK Travel, unlimited mileage, No Accidents or Penalty Points in the last 3 years, etc, etc...

Adrian Flux seem to do a good job here, does anybody have experience and sage advice in respect of alternative Insurers please? Single vehicle only, not a fleet and not offered for year-round Rental.

Will be worth a bag of Maltesers.

Thanks in advance.

Come renewal time, any recommendations please for Vehicle / Driver Cover to provide for all the usual eventualities....?

Our Agreement Terms are currently over 30's only, UK Travel, unlimited mileage, No Accidents or Penalty Points in the last 3 years, etc, etc...

Adrian Flux seem to do a good job here, does anybody have experience and sage advice in respect of alternative Insurers please? Single vehicle only, not a fleet and not offered for year-round Rental.

Will be worth a bag of Maltesers.

Thanks in advance.
.... anyone?

Renewal time beckons.

Thanks in advance.

If I recall from a recent email Comfort offer a policy for non fleet renting.

Hi, we use Alan Boswell. Really straightforward to deal with - cover for drivers 21-70 off the top of my head, most countries and up to 6 points covered without the need to call for a referral to the underwriter. Over the last few years we’ve insured anything from 1-4 rental vehicles at a time. Off hire covered for you and 3 other named drivers.

Hi, we use Alan Boswell. Really straightforward to deal with - cover for drivers 21-70 off the top of my head, most countries and up to 6 points covered without the need to call for a referral to the underwriter. Over the last few years we’ve insured anything from 1-4 rental vehicles at a time. Off hire covered for you and 3 other named drivers.

That sounds ideal, thank you very much indeed. And would you believe a mere stone's throw away from us in Bury St Edmunds. Will touch base with them. It needs to be far more straight forward than some I've seen. One concern I have is cover when vehicle out of use owing to previous Renter, an issue of running only one Campervan this season me thinks.... I'm only interested in UK really, evem if in an effort I guess of keeping mileage down and final residual high. And also to avoid the 'can you come and collect your vehicle from Disneyland Paris' phone call!

Glad to help, and hopefully what you’re looking for then. Whilst we have the occasional hirer taking a van to the continent, what I meant when I said ‘most countries’ was hiring to people with non UK licences. In terms of mileage and residuals, we’ve been fairly lucky, our vans are picked up in and generally stay in Cornwall!

Glad to help, and hopefully what you’re looking for then. Whilst we have the occasional hirer taking a van to the continent, what I meant when I said ‘most countries’ was hiring to people with non UK licences. In terms of mileage and residuals, we’ve been fairly lucky, our vans are picked up in and generally stay in Cornwall!

Thank you very much for your reply, that's really helpful. Yes, that's our 'aimed for' model too, try to persuade/commend the Stour Valley AONB in which we're situated and the Suffolk/Norfolk Coasts. You've got a beautiful spot down there, lovely. I'm frequently located at St Mawgan and housed at Saint Columb Major so is an area I know well, beautiful, you're very lucky. We're still early stages of the business here and the 'wrench' of letting a brand new Cali' out for Rental is a tough one for sure, easier when vehicle 2 arrives hopefully, and hence our aim to provide 'boutique, exquisite, home-from-home with all the luxuries of home' offering will hopefully attract people that would almost treat the vans as I would personally.... but what do I know?!?!?!? Regards, Russell

I appreciate that all areas vary but what does this type of cover cost roughly?

Thank you very much for your reply, that's really helpful. Yes, that's our 'aimed for' model too, try to persuade/commend the Stour Valley AONB in which we're situated and the Suffolk/Norfolk Coasts. You've got a beautiful spot down there, lovely. I'm frequently located at St Mawgan and housed at Saint Columb Major so is an area I know well, beautiful, you're very lucky. We're still early stages of the business here and the 'wrench' of letting a brand new Cali' out for Rental is a tough one for sure, easier when vehicle 2 arrives hopefully, and hence our aim to provide 'boutique, exquisite, home-from-home with all the luxuries of home' offering will hopefully attract people that would almost treat the vans as I would personally.... but what do I know?!?!?!? Regards, Russell
I’m afraid you can’t look at it as your Cali, although you might try to keep it looking as much like your own vehicle as possible. It’s an asset of your business that you’re lucky enough to have use of, effectively at no cost to you personally.
We’ve been lucky, possibly because of how we market our vans, perhaps our price point, but we’ve had good hirers generally who look after the vans well. We take a good hour offering a comprehensive handover, highlighting some of the more fragile components of these vans and showing best practice in moving the bed, turning seats, lowering roof etc.
We’ve had lots of bits of damage both cosmetic and functional. Sometimes it’s simply irritating, other times it affects the subsequent hire. Our contingency there is to try where possible to keep a van off hire and/or have a network of other local hirers who we’ve become friendly with. Which in turn ends up being quite reciprocal.
However well you inspect the van when it comes back, there’s often hidden damage. If you’re lucky you’ll catch it when you’re cleaning the van - which incidentally will be full of sand, certainly in Cornwall. If you’re unlucky you’ll find it after you’ve refunded your security deposit in which case you’ll need to chalk that down to experience and know where to check next time!
We’ve done this for a few years, mainly to supplement income, partly because we love having campervans to use. It’s no big enterprise, we wouldn’t want it to be, and we really enjoy doing it!
Look us up by all means when you’re next in Cornwall (RAF I assume?), we’re nearby in Wadebridge.

I’m afraid you can’t look at it as your Cali, although you might try to keep it looking as much like your own vehicle as possible. It’s an asset of your business that you’re lucky enough to have use of, effectively at no cost to you personally.
We’ve been lucky, possibly because of how we market our vans, perhaps our price point, but we’ve had good hirers generally who look after the vans well. We take a good hour offering a comprehensive handover, highlighting some of the more fragile components of these vans and showing best practice in moving the bed, turning seats, lowering roof etc.
We’ve had lots of bits of damage both cosmetic and functional. Sometimes it’s simply irritating, other times it affects the subsequent hire. Our contingency there is to try where possible to keep a van off hire and/or have a network of other local hirers who we’ve become friendly with. Which in turn ends up being quite reciprocal.
However well you inspect the van when it comes back, there’s often hidden damage. If you’re lucky you’ll catch it when you’re cleaning the van - which incidentally will be full of sand, certainly in Cornwall. If you’re unlucky you’ll find it after you’ve refunded your security deposit in which case you’ll need to chalk that down to experience and know where to check next time!
We’ve done this for a few years, mainly to supplement income, partly because we love having campervans to use. It’s no big enterprise, we wouldn’t want it to be, and we really enjoy doing it!
Look us up by all means when you’re next in Cornwall (RAF I assume?), we’re nearby in Wadebridge.
Thank you very much and thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply, is very much appreciated. Yes, a detailed handover is clearly the way and as careful an inspection upon return as time will allow, guess that, like you, I have still to discover the means to bulletproof!

A reciprocal arrangement with another Hirer is the way I'm trying to approach it 'just in case' but Hirers are much more sparsely spread up here fortunately/unfortunately. And yes, I agree there is much security/comfort to be had in aiming higher and focussing advertising to gain access to the right Renter. When next down I'll look you up, I've a trip to Tamar Wheels for some Steels and All Season Tyres, I'll even stand you a coffee!

I appreciate that all areas vary but what does this type of cover cost roughly?

I was wondering that.
I'm considering putting our Hymer out for hire, however the dealers have said they would void warranty if the vehicle is on hire...?
But wondering if I can make the vehicle pay for itself with hiring and have the use of it, when we want it.

Back