Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Forum names and Real names

Spud

Spud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi
Weve just come back from a fantastic meet at Eskdale organised by Peter. He provided everyone with a piece of paper with their forum names and real names on, nice to match up faces and also a little ice breaker for those new to the meets. Just wondering for those who want to may be a good idea to do their own for the meets, might be too much to ask when theres alot of calis for the organiser to do them, just a suggestion. :):thumb

Hi Martin/Sandra

This is something we plan to try and do at the June meet as quite a few people attending are regular posters on the forum. We did try something similar at COTF last year via the name tags but less than 50% of people attending did not want to wear them so we will probably go back to putting names in windscreens.

Thread hijack ... Spud I like your stickers! Are there are better pictures in another thread on here?

Hi Martin/Sandra

This is something we plan to try and do at the June meet as quite a few people attending are regular posters on the forum. We did try something similar at COTF last year via the name tags but less than 50% of people attending did not want to wear them so we will probably go back to putting names in windscreens.

That's what we did popped them in the windscreen I think somebody popped s photo of one in the eskdale meet forum

It works well. We started doing it years ago at Bongo meets and have carried on doing it. Makes it easier to get to know people in the flesh who are on the forum
I dont get why people would not want to do it. After all, if you go to a meet presumably at some stage you are going to tell someone who you are, not just hide in the van.

@Victor sadly I will not be going, although if I did you will know my van by the replacement "number plates" that I have :D

I think it's a good idea for members to prepare and bring their own signs. When I was making the ones for Eskdale, I was wondering if some folk would be cautious of displaying them, but all seemed happy to do so. Doing your own ensures you are happy with the info you are 'revealing'.
I did limit the info to first names; only specified their location in the general sense (ie 'New Forest' rather than name the town). I hoped it would just encourage chatting and allow for local knowledge to be exchanged.

The biggest challenge is finding somewhere to display them, as many owners, like myself tend to keep (silver) screen covers in place during the weekend. Perhaps GJ's 'number plate' idea could be a winner....

I think it's a good idea for members to prepare and bring their own signs. When I was making the ones for Eskdale, I was wondering if some folk would be cautious of displaying them, but all seemed happy to do so. Doing your own ensures you are happy with the info you are 'revealing'.
I did limit the info to first names; only specified their location in the general sense (ie 'New Forest' rather than name the town). I hoped it would just encourage chatting and allow for local knowledge to be exchanged.

The biggest challenge is finding somewhere to display them, as many owners, like myself tend to keep (silver) screen covers in place during the weekend. Perhaps GJ's 'number plate' idea could be a winner....
Look for the Dragon.

I tend to use https://www.myshowplates.com when I need to get some made up.

I know I'm not down for any meets this year :( but I do intend to join soon, sounds like a right laugh....so just had a play around for mine
image.png

Thread hijack ... Spud I like your stickers! Are there are better pictures in another thread on here?
I like them too, was hoping to ask you where you got them but the weekend flew by too quickly!

And my nickname is displayed on the rear of my Cali
And probally the only Belgian to come...?
View attachment 13378
I got letters to make up 'Frederick' but was advised that I was unlikely to be able to put them on straight, so I gave up before I started!

I like Granny Jen's idea of 'replacement number plates' ....I take it they say 'Granny Jen'? How are they held in place?

In fact I have a dinky Campervan shaped sign to stick in the ground to mark my spot (never dared to use it).... I think I'll change the registration number to 'Dottie'....another thing for the list of action points!

Last edited:
I got letters to make up 'Frederick' but was advised that I was unlikely to be able to put them on straight, so I gave up before I started!

I like Granny Jen's idea of 'replacement number plates' ....I take it they say 'Granny Jen'? How are they held in place?

In fact I have a dinky Campervan shaped sign to stick in the ground to mark my spot (never dared to use it).... I think I'll change the registration number to 'Dottie'....another thing for the list of action points!

I have a white plate for the front that says "Albert" and a yellow rear plate with "Granny Jen". Temporary stuck on over regulation plates with double sided tape.

I'd be nervous I forgot to remove them and end up in a slightly awkward conversation with the traffic cops about why I had hidden my registration plates ...:oops:

My actual reg plate is my forum name so easy for me! Eskdale was amazing although didn't attend with this club I went with some pals in other t5's, loved it all though!

I'd be nervous I forgot to remove them and end up in a slightly awkward conversation with the traffic cops about why I had hidden my registration plates ...:oops:

When I first got Albert my second trip was to go to a "club" campsite to overnight and play with all my newly acquired toys, test them out, make sure I know how they worked.

I had my "Albert" numberplate in the back so stuck it on so see if it fixed properly (for a long time it was my avatar on this site)...

Within an hour the site warden was round more or less telling me to remove it, they could not allow show plates on a vehicle for the sake of "security".

I tried to explain that my pitch was registered with my club details ... type of vehicle, colour, registration .... but "rules were rules........"

Back