Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August

G

gatvol

We normally avoid school holidays like the plague, but circumstances have conspired against us this year.

Would we be mad to go to France in August without pre-booking everything?. We like to keep plans flexible so tend to head where the weather is good, we are happy to stay inland.

Thanks for any wisdom you might share

H

Hotel California

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
There are so many places to go, aires de camping cars , campingsites, wild camping , farmsites ,.... In France you always find a spot!
Not for me in July or august ....we are in the provence at the moment 35degrees celcius in the afthernoon already , nothing to do but lay down in the shade or in the swimming pool
Last weekend in the region of the ardeche same themp.
We never come here in july/ august( been there done that...never again) , we will be back in september though...easy whith brother in law living here....always a place to go to .
Best thing that time of year are mountiansites , much cooler

cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We've never had any problem getting in in August impromptu. Just take guide and phone ahead.

Yes it can be really hot in August, but that's a good thing isn't it?

Calincolnshire

Calincolnshire

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We always go the last 2 weeks in August, it does seem to be quieter as a lot of French kids are back to school and British families see to like having a week at home before the kids go back. We get home literally the day before they start back.

Weather is generally excellant where we've been, although we did go to La Trinite Sur Mer a few years ago and the first week of the holiday it rained that heavy our Cabanon Biscaya flooded, but the second week was gorgeous.

I have to say I do like to pick a site and book. Which is a habit I need to get out off and just go with the flow ;)

Good luck with your planning

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We're off from July 28th for a month and mostly doing France. It was fine last year as we went in June (for five weeks) but we're aware it will be a LOT busier this year. Will probably book a few sites ahead but the beauty of a Cali is being able to move on if/when needed - last year severe rain on the SW Coast meant an un-planned trip to Provence/the Ardeche where it was superb weather!

G

gamort

VIP Member
Same for us, 20 days in France from beginning of August. No hard plans, taking the tunnel and slowly moving down toward Brittany, probably. First big trip with the kids and Cali.... could be interesting ;)

Any recommendations for things to do/see (kids are 4 and 6) in Brittany would be appreciated.

M

muttley

Guest User
We did a 2 week tour last year in August, round the South of France into Provence. I agree with the earlier post about timing - the last two weeks is definitely quieter once the French kids have gone back to school.

We didn't book anything in advance, but I did phone ahead from time to time to book something for that evening. The municipal sites seem to book up late in the day, so if you are planning to arrive late afternoon then I would advise booking the smaller sites. We had no trouble getting in, but a few of the sites we stayed on were full by the evening, and people were being turned away. Funnily enough, when it is raining the sites seem to fill up quicker - I guess people don't fancy an aire so much in bad weather.

You may be happy just to wing it, and you would almost certainly get away with that. As we were touring, rarely staying more than a couple of nights in one place, I did some research beforehand and took a list of possible sites for planned stops, in case it was busier than expected. In hindsight that was probably a bit unnecessary, but it did take the pressure off.

I will just add that I wouldn't take the Cali to the south of France in August again. Sleeping in a van in that heat is just no fun at all, even in the roof with all the 'windows' open. Much better up in the mountains.

Simon

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Useful info Simon and John!
Just plotting our trip now - Santander, across to SW France then near Pau (friends live there), Provence and possibly Northern Italy (other friends have a house there!). Tempted by the Alps too; might venture for a night or two.

The Ardeche/Provence did get very warm last year even in June. At the same time there were floods around SW France/N Spain!

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
muttley said:
I will just add that I wouldn't take the Cali to the south of France in August again. Sleeping in a van in that heat is just no fun at all, even in the roof with all the 'windows' open. Much better up in the mountains.

Simon

100% agree with that Simon , it is no fun at all ... we were dreaming of air conditioned hotel rooms some nights when it did not go below 30 degrees. Alps are great in summer - warm during day and nice and cool at night.

H

Harrythecat

VIP Member
Simon[/quote]

100% agree with that Simon , it is no fun at all ... we were dreaming of air conditioned hotel rooms some nights when it did not go below 30 degrees. Alps are great in summer - warm during day and nice and cool at night.[/quote]

+1 :thumb

Voges, Jura, Northern Alps. Quieter, cooler at night, more room on the campsites :cool:

sd5000

sd5000

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We did 3 weeks in August last year in the Loire and Vendee areas and only found a couple of sites completely full. In fact the only site we booked we didn't like after the 1st day so moved on and found plenty of other nice sites.

Temperatures in those regions we found ok at night despite 30+ daytime temp.

Just avoid driving South on Black Saturday when all the Parisiens go on their holidays, normally 1st Saturday in August I think....?

Simon

H

Hotel California

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
To give an idea of what it's like out here in St-Didier (near the Ventoux)

image.jpg

M

muttley

Guest User
Martin said:
100% agree with that Simon , it is no fun at all ... we were dreaming of air conditioned hotel rooms some nights when it did not go below 30 degrees. Alps are great in summer - warm during day and nice and cool at night.

We actually gave up for 2 nights in Antibes, and booked into a little hotel with A/C. That was bliss, but it did feel like cheating!

Simon

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hope your passport is in date !
Mine runs out 05/08/2014 so I shall not be going abroad soon !!

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
hotel california T5 said:

When was that?! We were near there last year; it got to 36 I think - even that was rather hot for us!

H

Hotel California

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
KernowLad said:
hotel california T5 said:

When was that?! We were near there last year; it got to 36 I think - even that was rather hot for us!

Last thueseday...
Today thursday 42degrees celcius in Beaumes de Venises
Tonight where back of to Grospieres (Ardeche) until the 20 of july , we where already last week , 35degrees in the afternoon

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Just managed to secure the last (small) pitch at Pavillion Royale near Biarritz - fantastic site we stayed at last year. Right by the sea, great restaurant, good shop, nice pool, not too "Euro camp" style. But… the booking form has just come back and it's…

£70 a night… :eek: :eek: :eek:

VW California Club