Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France Travel

R

Retiredroamer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello,
I don't post very often but thought I would post a couple of observations now that I am relaxing in the middle of France.

I had my 2018 T6 serviced prior to travel (as you do) and had 4 brand new Continental All Seasons Contact tyres fitted. Set at correct PSI I have to say they are brilliant. Like riding on air (note, my T6 is standard suspension with 17inch wheels). Like to keep vehicles in line with manufacturers guidelines. So if you are looking for new tyres, take a look at the Continentals.

I took the ferry from Poole to Cherbourg and then travelled to Pontorson on the fast roads and motorways. Very Boring. Had a few days at Mont Saint Michel and Saint Malo before travelling South East to Cheverny just past Le Mans but this time I routed via D routes only. Fantastic. You get to see the real France. Found lots of lovely countryside and quaint villages.

So, tips of the day, Check out Continental tyres and if you travel to France, travel via D Routes. You also save money not paying tolls

Happy days

So, tips of the day, Check out Continental tyres and if you travel to France, travel via D Routes. You also save money not paying tolls
I agree, but you must be a very patient driver to do this for a longer time. Various speed limits and roundabouts can drive you crazy otherwise ...

We always take the D roads from Caen to LeMans, but the drive down to Angouleme was motorway. Both nice easy enjoyable journeys :)

We will be taking Princess Doris over to France end of August. Via eurotunnel. Stopover near Calais then onto Paris to visit family and onwards to Vichy for another family stopover. Our primary destination is Lanouille in Dordogne for a family wedding. After that we have a number of days unplanned.
Really looking forward to our trip.
In the meantime, have a great holiday

Well, I previously had a clear preference for Michelin (Crossclimate) but have been driving with continental 4season tires for two years now and to my great satisfaction (t6.1 coast 150 hp, dsg). I changed my preference and recently even purchased two replacements: 215/60-17C VanContact A/S Ultra TL 109/107T (104H). Very satisfied with the first set: consumption OK, wear OK (did 45,000 km with the first set of Continentals on the front axle, which is very good considering the weight of a Cali according to the tire center).
The payment highways, the payages, well, you get along well if you drive on there, but the many aires, which are often well developed with terraces and shops with local goods and other fun things such as live performances (yes, really) ensure that you spend enough time there. The best places to sleep are not along the payages and all food and fuel are considerably more expensive than along the normal roads. Of course you also pay tolls and according to some people you apparently lose a lot of time queuing at the toll booths. Anyway, the more with a tag, the better :D

Yet I am also pro driving along those payages (I don't think as it as traveling, I experience that along the national routes, the departementals and others). The pay motorways are good - as already mentioned in a response by someone else - to get away from the many roundabouts and adjusting constantly to the the allowed speed (sometimes not so obvious speeds). Some parts in France are enjoyable along the payages so I dwell on them also ;) But indeed: the real France isn’t there.

So, I agree with your tips.

Last edited:
We have Conti vancontacts on current van, also had them on past t5.1 Beach & T4. Fantastic stopping distance in the wet/dry and last for ages.

Toll roads are great for reaching a specific place quickly at a price, so handy if you work fulltime and only have a fixed amount of holidays. You can still shop in local shops, restaurants at the destination.

If you are retired etc and have all the time in the world, then you can avoid the toll roads / cost and potter along at your own pace….in exactly the same way you do at home - ie - motorway will get you there quicker, a-roads far longer with more speed changes, potholes, roundabouts etc….and can be a pain if you get stuck behind a ‘Sunday driver’, tractor etc.

We have Conti vancontacts on current van, also had them on past t5.1 Beach & T4. Fantastic stopping distance in the wet/dry and last for ages.

Toll roads are great for reaching a specific place quickly at a price, so handy if you work fulltime and only have a fixed amount of holidays. You can still shop in local shops, restaurants at the destination.

If you are retired etc and have all the time in the world, then you can avoid the toll roads / cost and potter along at your own pace….in exactly the same way you do at home - ie - motorway will get you there quicker, a-roads far longer with more speed changes, potholes, roundabouts etc….and can be a pain if you get stuck behind a ‘Sunday driver’, tractor etc.
For me, traveling/driving around is the biggest part of our holidays, it’s how we ‘organize’ our vacation time while traveling. And then payages are not that ‘useful’. I have also regularly found myself in large traffic jams on a payment highway and that is a waste of time and money.
But I certainly understand: if you have a destination, a goal to drive to and the country or region you are crossing is of secondary importance, then the payages are a gift. I also use them sometimes, in fact: I have used payages one or even more times every holiday in France. For some of the reasons you mention (and I have mentioned in my post above) but not all of them. Although me and my wife both work full-time, have two school-age children and I have a fixed amount of holidays yet we prefer to travel by other roads than payages but obvious each to his own.
Retirement is not yet in sight for us :D Enjoy your cali!

Thank you for your replies. Whilst travelling in France you suddenly become aware of how big this country is. What appeared on the map to be a hop skip and a jump was becoming a marathon on the D Roads so I confess, I diverted to the Tolls to make sure I reached my destination before the end of the year!! Yes, speed limits, tractors and roundabouts soon started to get at me.

Having fun though, love France and off to Alpe du Huez Saturday.

Thank you for your replies. Whilst travelling in France you suddenly become aware of how big this country is. What appeared on the map to be a hop skip and a jump was becoming a marathon on the D Roads so I confess, I diverted to the Tolls to make sure I reached my destination before the end of the year!! Yes, speed limits, tractors and roundabouts soon started to get at me.

Having fun though, love France and off to Alpe du Huez Saturday.
Yes indeed: After a while you might take the toll highway. I do it when I know where there is a boring stretch -or experience a more boring piece- with too many roundabouts and no inspiring villages. If you get to know the regions a bit, you can 'skip' some parts, but in others I will definitely choose the alternative routes: too beautiful and fascinating to miss.
Have fun, in a few weeks we will travel through France to Switzerland for the Grand Tour of Switzerland :cool:
Greetings
Calibusje

Back