Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road trip France, Spain & Portugal

Thanks Mike I did not know that so one area to avoid then
Aye Moose, and they're hard nosed about it too; our little terrier couldn't walk far any longer, so we carried him in a canvas bag, but even that wasn't acceptable. Typical Catholic approach to life other than human...

Aye Moose, and they're hard nosed about it too; our little terrier couldn't walk far any longer, so we carried him in a canvas bag, but even that wasn't acceptable. Typical Catholic approach to life other than human...
We go by the ethos if our dogs aren’t welcome nor are we

Last edited:
In this ever increasing cost of living crisis we will be avoiding tolls this year, to be fair I have always been a little envious of drivers with tags when queuing to pay, not that it's much of a chore.

Hi @Moose , did the trip in 2020.

On your question on tags - yes, get a tag, makes travel much simpler and it is cost effective as well. Got the EMOVIS tag, but I am sure people may be able to advise on alternate options.

For other inputs:

See writeup of our trip here - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/portugal-2020.37198/

See route map here - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1svYAGjADWAEDaYoQt7-fyYzZ9-UFqoja&ll=42.9228097982918,-3.7925049999999985&z=5

and if you need tips on an itinerary, then see file here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1brlNA7gbTUWQ_cEX78ixvhSZyw7q1oEl4MLHJI6s4Kc/edit?usp=sharing

Any questions, just ask - but I like the idea of take it as it comes and also have a draft plan, but not be wedded to it.
Hello
Nice comprehensive trip report. Are the Portuguese still welcoming Campervans? I had heard they were clamping down on wild camping?

Yes that what we have been advised and quite hefty fines if caught.
Apparently lots more sites have opened up but as its our first time over there in the camper we would not really know.

Apparently lots more sites have opened up but as its our first time over there in the camper we would not really know.
We are setting off on a similar route to yours in a couple of weeks. We tend to use campsites, but I would like to camp off-site now and again. I have bought the 'All the Aires Spain and Portugal' That should make things a bit cheaper.

We are setting off on a similar route to yours in a couple of weeks. We tend to use campsites, but I would like to camp off-site now and again. I have bought the 'All the Aires Spain and Portugal' That should make things a bit cheaper.
Just ordered, hope it comes through in time

Hello
Nice comprehensive trip report. Are the Portuguese still welcoming Campervans? I had heard they were clamping down on wild camping?

O yes they are! Some of the best and most friendly people I have ever interacted with.

Wild camping - consider if you will actually do wild camping or not ... and if you are planning to, there are places where you can wild camp. It is not as bad as the papers make it out to be.

See this video for someone who is touring Portugal currently (Spindrift Van, daughter of one of our members on here - sorry, forgetting his name) and having a good time.

Moose, don't worry. it is a very nice with a good set of friendly people who are ready to help. Just ask the locals if in doubt.

After buying dog biscuit, food and treats I have just been informed if the dog biscuits and treat contain milk you can’t take them through to, even the sealed dog food which does contain meat can’t !!
Now we have a problem as our two Whippets are very particular eaters

After buying dog biscuit, food and treats I have just been informed if the dog biscuits and treat contain milk you can’t take them through to, even the sealed dog food which does contain meat can’t !!
Now we have a problem as our two Whippets are very particular eaters
I would be very surprised if you were to be checked. We haven't been on our trip to France.

Wig wave season soon !

hers a vid from Feb, truly monstrous and a must see spectacle

Wig wave season soon !

We were there in May, but sat on the beach with my bodyboard in awe. The waves then I think would probably have seen me off forever! Lovely place though, nice vibes. Maybe I’ll give West Wales and the Gower a go instead ;)

Wig wave season soon !

We hopefully will be there around the 17/18 Sept and then on our return mid October

Last edited: