Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Freetown to Cape Town in my California.

Guy d

Guy d

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi everyone, just introducing myself to the group as somebody who is travelling from Freetown Sierra Leone to Cape Town in South Africa to raise awareness of Parkinson's disease. It's a long story, but I've got Parkinsons and I'm travelling the journey to raise awareness of the disease. I'm doing it in my VW California. Photographs attached. They'll be lots of questions I have along the way and this form should be able to help me answer them.

You'll be able to follow my progress on various means but I will post things here occasionally to keep you up-to-date on how I'm doing.

I made some modifications to my van nothing serious though.

Listed as follows:

Upgraded suspension from siekel (Volkstrek)
Rock sliders and under body protection from siekel (Volkstrek)
BFG all-terrain tires fitted
modifications to bike rack to carry spare tire, and peli box
Reinforced towing eyes on front fitted to chassis by Volkstrek
Lightweight roof rack to carry light equipment rarely needed
Bespoke rear bumper to carry two extra jerrycans
Modified bed system to replace rock 'n' roll bed (too heavy and inefficient storage)

Various other bits and pieces, such as tailored canvas to go over the roof when it up and with a roof rack on, mounting rack on the bonnet percent channels, magnetic fixing points on the roof for lighting, reversing camera et cetera et cetera

To be fitted when arriving back out of Sierra Leone next month:
Central console for storing equipment and standing on to get into roof bed
Front reinforced bumper to support winch (lightweight)
electrics to provide more 12 V access points and two solar panels

Guy

IMG_1625.jpg

Hi Guy. I followed your inspiring journey from the UK to Freetown on Polar Steps in 2019/2020 and was sorry when the virus cut it short. I trust all’s well with you despite your Parkinson’s which you suffer admirably but with obvious difficulties at times. I also trust the Cali has survived 2 years lay up in Africa and doesn’t need too much work.

Good to hear that you’re pushing on and I will follow that too. Could you also post details of any page where I can make a donation.

Take care and good luck. Huw

Hi Guy. I followed your inspiring journey from the UK to Freetown on Polar Steps in 2019/2020 and was sorry when the virus cut it short. I trust all’s well with you despite your Parkinson’s which you suffer admirably but with obvious difficulties at times. I also trust the Cali has survived 2 years lay up in Africa and doesn’t need too much work.

Good to hear that you’re pushing on and I will follow that too. Could you also post details of any page where I can make a donation.

Take care and good luck. Huw

Nice to hear from you. I hope the vehicle will be fine just been looked after by somebody out there who has been starting it routinely but perhaps not often enough because I know the batteries are flat. I'm travelling back out in February or beginning of March to carry on the journey as per the steps will be reporting this time however I'm going to make the film! It's all very challenging thanks for following. It makes a big difference to me

on the assumption the rules allow it i will post links to two sites where people can donate. One is directly to cure parkinsons the other is to a crowd funding page to help me pay for the making of the film. I will hopefully be able to post both later today.

Guy

@Guy d , good to see you back up and going again. Was following you last time around as well. You are awesome and wishing you all the best with the journey.

If not a bother, can i also request if you are also able to post up on the t6forum please. You will have many people who are interested in your journey there as well.

Enjoy and have a good time and following your journey

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Just watched the video as well ... wow! And you are doing it alone this time ...

Hats off!

Take a bow!
3ad52b12a92b589e974809124eb5df8c.jpg

@Guy d , good to see you back up and going again. Was following you last time around as well. You are awesome and wishing you all the best with the journey.

If not a bother, can i also request if you are also able to post up on the t6forum please. You will have many people who are interested in your journey there as well.

Enjoy and have a good time and following your journey

yup. i will try and post regularly on the forum.

lets try this as a trial. my van will be fitted with a hydrogen cell which reduces emissions, saves fuel, lowers maintenance and ;protects the EGR. IT IS PROVIDED BY ECO MOTORS. Newton Abbott.

Back