Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So, I went to pick up my new Cali today! But alas.....

babble

babble

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
....it has already gone off to get repainted. There was little mark on the bumper, which i rubbed, but it wouldn't budge. It seemed to be a bit of black glue, presumably from manufacture, so the VW chap came and sprayed some (presumable very strong) solvent on it and gave it a buff and lo, it stayed but a line of paint of the bumper didn't. So he sent it off to have that part of the bumper painted. He assures me i won't be able to tell it was ever there. I guess i don't really care (some here would i know, but i just don't. I suppose it might flake off in a few years, or discolor, so i intend to get in writing that they will repair this if ever that happens).

Next issue during handover.....i have a Coast, with a manual roof, but it for some reason thinks it is an Ocean with an automatic roof! haha. 'Roof Open' it announced. 'Start engine' it demands!

Cue Flashing roof open light. Ummm, no, it's closed Mr Van, and anyway it is a manual roof!

So i drove away in a courtesy car with promise of some free floor mats. everything should be sorted later.

ho hum.

here are some photos of my baby anyway!!

20190724_100113.jpg20190724_113237.jpg20190724_113229.jpg

Last edited:
Mine had to have some paint repair before I took delivery last week and will need more. Door and front roof cap involved. Grr....

good to know i'm not alone! (although sorry for your irritation)

the paint is now drying apparently, and the van will be reprogrammed to tell it that it has a manual roof tomorrow hopefully. i was hoping to start packing. the kids arrive on Saturday and they will want to see the new baby.

Lovely colour
And whilst the wait is frustrating it will all be worth it when you finally take it home :thumb

Lovely van although I feel your pain. Mine got delayed too and I was panicking a bit that I wouldn't get away this weekend but all ok in the end. Hopefully you get yours today and can start packing⛱

She done and i've picked her up! No evidence of the paint issue at all, and the control panel has been reset! All good.

Drove her home. Not really convinced by the DSG yet.....felt just like a 20 year old automatic to me, kept jumping around and revving up when i wanted to slow down then move off slowly. Pick up on the motorway was a bit odd too, it just seemed to be in the wrong gear then jump down when i tried to accelerate. i think i'll get used to it though. maybe need to try sport mode?

Rather pleased with the bog-standard radio, which seems to have connected well to my phone and seamlessly to phone spottily.

Now got to go and get it MOTed (i know - Belgium...) and then i'm good to go to the UK this weekend!

Parked up at work for now. Sorry the photos aren't that great!

20190725_105405.jpg20190725_105417.jpg20190725_105432.jpg

Lovely van and red is always a good happy coly :thumb

Re the DSG......i think there is a bit of a training/bedding in phase where the box learns your driving style. After this changes may be smoother.

Fabulous colour and I too love the dash. Very very smart van - enjoy!

thanks all! loving the van. DSG skills improving all the time.

Your van aspires to be an Ocean!
DSG takes a bit of time to get used to.
I am sure you will have great adventures in your fabulous camper.

Hmmmm... fridge won't turn off. Indeed I have never switched it on, and it is off on the control panel, but cold and humming away. Any ideas?

Might help

Hmmmm... fridge won't turn off. Indeed I have never switched it on, and it is off on the control panel, but cold and humming away. Any ideas?

Sorry didn't mean to press 'like' - I don't like at all :(
Sounds as though another trip to the dealer is in order if you can do that before you go away?
They should give you more than a set of mats for all this hassle! Maybe negotiate a couple of services?
Good luck, it will be worth it.

That's the second new van on here in a week where the fridge doesn´t
switch off.

so i swtiched it to 'on' overnight, and then this morning to 'off' and it did actually switch off. fingers crossed it is now going to operate normally. let's see....

She done and i've picked her up! No evidence of the paint issue at all, and the control panel has been reset! All good.

Drove her home. Not really convinced by the DSG yet.....felt just like a 20 year old automatic to me, kept jumping around and revving up when i wanted to slow down then move off slowly. Pick up on the motorway was a bit odd too, it just seemed to be in the wrong gear then jump down when i tried to accelerate. i think i'll get used to it though. maybe need to try sport mode?

Rather pleased with the bog-standard radio, which seems to have connected well to my phone and seamlessly to phone spottily.

Now got to go and get it MOTed (i know - Belgium...) and then i'm good to go to the UK this weekend!

Parked up at work for now. Sorry the photos aren't that great!

View attachment 47933View attachment 47934View attachment 47937
I'd recommend turning the coast function off on the dsg (under settings on the steering wheel). It makes the drive so much smoother and stops you having to slam on all the time when you subconsciously think you're engine breaking. (I'm used to driving a manual and letting the engine slow the car by looking ahead). I've not noticed any adverse affect on the fuel costs either.

so i swtiched it to 'on' overnight, and then this morning to 'off' and it did actually switch off. fingers crossed it is now going to operate normally. let's see....
Fridge back on... SIGH

During my handover an awning leg fell off and scratched drivers door, so they had it resprayed. If they’ve got a paint shop, it’ll be fine.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com
My cali had no spare tyre. Wooden screw cap for the gas cover with plastic lid glued on. 2 other things missing 2 years ago when picked up. Will be selling soon because of ill health to us both. Have not used it at all for camping yet. Just to get around in. 9000 miles in 2 years. Nothing used in it yet. Will be a good used one for someone wanting a new one for thousands less a new one. 2nd one we have had over the years along with a Autosleeper Trident that we shipped around the world & did 85000 miles in in 4 years away.

I'd recommend turning the coast function off on the dsg (under settings on the steering wheel). It makes the drive so much smoother and stops you having to slam on all the time when you subconsciously think you're engine breaking. (I'm used to driving a manual and letting the engine slow the car by looking ahead). I've not noticed any adverse affect on the fuel costs either.
Interesting to hear your “coast” experience, I’ve never had a problem and barely notice it’s kicked in, maybe it’s down to driving styles or engine size.

Interesting to hear your “coast” experience, I’ve never had a problem and barely notice it’s kicked in, maybe it’s down to driving styles or engine size.
Could well be, I've got the 204 and live in a hilly area, I always found myself rolling too quickly and picking up speed :-D each to their own I suppose. It's a shame really because it's very smooth on 'coast'.

Could well be, I've got the 204 and live in a hilly area, I always found myself rolling too quickly and picking up speed :-D each to their own I suppose. It's a shame really because it's very smooth on 'coast'.
If you have DSG then try Sports Mode.

Back