Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French autoroute categories

No, of course not, if they are higher than 2m... (duh... :))

But the class of vehicle is independent indeed from which lane you choose. A VW van is a class 1 vehicle, even if you have bikes or a baggage box on top, it doesn't matter which lane you take, you will always be a class 1 vehicle. So, if you have a box on your roof, you can'y use the automatic 2m lane, but you are still class 1.

Another matter completely is whether the automatic detection systems will always recognise you as such... So, check your ticket or the machine, if anything other than class 1 is indicated, push the button and complain. You can get your money back, but it is a bit of a cumbersome process.
Better is, if you are an exception, to use the staffed booths if you want to be sure you don't pay too much.
Well you live and learn. I've never had other than Class1 for the last 5 years, even with my Land Rover Defender, which still managed to get under the 2 m barriers when loaded. Must be lucky, just as I always manage to get a parking space wherever I want to go.:)

No, of course not, if they are higher than 2m... (duh... :))

But the class of vehicle is independent indeed from which lane you choose. A VW van is a class 1 vehicle, even if you have bikes or a baggage box on top, it doesn't matter which lane you take, you will always be a class 1 vehicle. So, if you have a box on your roof, you can'y use the automatic 2m lane, but you are still class 1.

Another matter completely is whether the automatic detection systems will always recognise you as such... So, check your ticket or the machine, if anything other than class 1 is indicated, push the button and complain. You can get your money back, but it is a bit of a cumbersome process.
Better is, if you are an exception, to use the staffed booths if you want to be sure you don't pay too much.
Well you live and learn. I've never had other than Class1 for the last 5 years, even with my Land Rover Defender, which still managed to get under the 2 m barriers when loaded. Must be lucky, just as I always manage to get a parking space wherever I want to go.:)

Slightly off topic but has anyone been down through Austria and beyond, appears that the roads have no tolls but similar to Switzerland its necessary to have a sticker to allow you to drive on their roads (according to the AA!)

Can anyone help with information that supports this or not, planning on heading to Bulgaria maybe so lots of countries to pass through

Thanks

Slightly off topic but has anyone been down through Austria and beyond, appears that the roads have no tolls but similar to Switzerland its necessary to have a sticker to allow you to drive on their roads (according to the AA!)

Can anyone help with information that supports this or not, planning on heading to Bulgaria maybe so lots of countries to pass through

Thanks
Same with Slovenia if you use the m/way

Thanks

Austria needs a sticker indeed , buy at border gasstation.
Tsjechie also , sticker at gasstation
And @Loz say slovenie , no experience from my side

Most the cheapest you can get is 10days pass .

Last edited:
Thanks both, assume no stops/checks at the border?

We had no border stops from Germany in to Poland and Poland in to Tsjechie (just a month ago now)

Thanks both, assume no stops/checks at the border?
Switzerland had a funnel set up at the border and waved anyone without a sticker into the right lane and had to queue up to buy one from the border policeman.
I was told recently by a friend that he was pulled up by the police in Slovenia and just fined on the spot..

Back