Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French speeding

And then we get angry about fuel prices rising?
Tax money burned. So taxes raise to build newer and more sophisticated ones.
Do we need to get happy about this? Demolishing?

What about me setting fire to someone's property because I don't like that person?
You want your California burnt because someone thinks you took his parking space? Or you drive a TDI, so they want that vehicle out of their way?

Do as you are supposed to do and most will be fine.
I agree it's not nice to receive a letter, and sometimes speed limits are not logical or even mentioned properly, but that is no reason to vandalise other one's property.

What about me setting fire to someone's property because I don't like that person?
You want your California burnt because someone thinks you took his parking space? Or you drive a TDI, so they want that vehicle out of their way?

I agree it's not nice to receive a letter, and sometimes speed limits are not logical or even mentioned properly, but that is no reason to vandalise other one's property.
Chill out man.
Its sunday afternoon, have a Duvel or something.

Just throw the fine in the bin.
They rely on you paying.

Cheating the public like the French Government tried to do on "Fuel price Hikes" was not on the Agenda. Any French Government of whatever persuasion should know that telling them lies will never work. It may not be the Belgium way or the British way but if you upset a French Man/Woman then you will pay the consequences.

Just found this.

• There’s a five percent speed tolerance
  • They’re not painted in bright colours
  • There are signs to warn that they’re up ahead
  • If caught speeding, the fine WILL reach you
  • There are over 2,000 fixed cameras on French roads
“Year in and year out, UK holidaymakers driving abroad are advised to mug up on the road laws they are visiting,” said AA president, Edmund King.

“And now we know from official statistics that the French police are on a mission to chase up fines from British drivers before Brexit. Whether you’re driving in the UK or France, if you stay within the limit you’ll keep out of trouble.”

And the most unfair part of all this is that the UK does not have a reciprocal agreement with the rest of the EU regarding this matter. Other countries ask for the Vehicle owner details where we ask for the driver of the vehicle. Shafted by our own government once again.
I don’t have a particular problem with any of that.

We have made the rule that the driver is responsible for a speeding offence. It is then up to us to either change the rule or pursue the driver regardless of nationality.

I would assume that if a non-British EU registered keeper refused to supply details of the driver the appropriate British authority would treat them exactly the same way as they would a British registered keeper in similar circumstances. Indeed, under European law they are obliged to treat EU nationals in exactly the same way as they would their own nationals.

I don’t have a particular problem with any of that.

We have made the rule that the driver is responsible for a speeding offence. It is then up to us to either change the rule or pursue the driver regardless of nationality.

I would assume that if a non-British EU registered keeper refused to supply details of the driver the appropriate British authority would treat them exactly the same way as they would a British registered keeper in similar circumstances. Indeed, under European law they are obliged to treat EU nationals in exactly the same way as they would their own nationals.
Just to reiterate......There has never been any prosecutions sent to Any EU drivers in their home country that have been filmed on camera. That doesn’t include anyone stopped by the police and prosecuted in the UK. So the UK won’t change our rules and foreign drivers get away with speeding.

Just to reiterate......There has never been any prosecutions sent to Any EU drivers in their home country that have been filmed on camera. That doesn’t include anyone stopped by the police and prosecuted in the UK. So the UK won’t change our rules and foreign drivers get away with speeding.
There is a big difference between a penalty notice and a prosecution.

Are penalty notices sent to the registered keepers of foreign vehicles?

There is a big difference between a penalty notice and a prosecution.

Are penalty notices sent to the registered keepers of foreign vehicles?
Foreign Countries authorities can’t prosecute but they can threaten you by instructing debt collectors to hassle you ......Is there Anyone out there that has said NO I’m not paying ......let’s hear from them....It’s a well know fact that the French have stepped up their push on sending fines to British motorists because of Brexit. I understand that cameras need to be triggered and they will flash if you trigger one by in excess of 5% over the set speed. 80kph means 4kph over. So really you shouldn’t be surprised because being a UK RHD vehicle the camera flashes in your drivers mirror as most cameras are set very low to the ground unlike Gatsos..But not all of coarse. Everyone make mistakes and it’s just unfortunate if no matter hard you concentrate you get caught. I saw probably 5 different speed signs on a road distance of less than 100 metres....This has been a huge money maker for the French Government especially when they changed the speed limits from 90 down to 80 this was the main cause of drivers being caught. Not making excuses but 99 % of people caught speeding it’s been in the new 80 limit. All of those on this forum have Been doing around 85-86 kph. Nice thinking Mr President.

Foreign Countries authorities can’t prosecute but they can threaten you by instructing debt collectors to hassle you ......Is there Anyone out there that has said NO I’m not paying ......let’s hear from them....It’s a well know fact that the French have stepped up their push on sending fines to British motorists because of Brexit. I understand that cameras need to be triggered and they will flash if you trigger one by in excess of 5% over the set speed. 80kph means 4kph over. So really you shouldn’t be surprised because being a UK RHD vehicle the camera flashes in your drivers mirror as most cameras are set very low to the ground unlike Gatsos..But not all of coarse. Everyone make mistakes and it’s just unfortunate if no matter hard you concentrate you get caught. I saw probably 5 different speed signs on a road distance of less than 100 metres....This has been a huge money maker for the French Government especially when they changed the speed limits from 90 down to 80 this was the main cause of drivers being caught. Not making excuses but 99 % of people caught speeding it’s been in the new 80 limit. All of those on this forum have Been doing around 85-86 kph. Nice thinking Mr President.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say It’s got bugger all to do with breggshite and everything to do with traveling at 90 in an 80 limit, past a speed camera. If I do it, I’m fined. If a French person does it, they’re fined. I’d wager the Belgians, Dutch and Germans would be served too judging by the way they all slowed down. Shame I was looking at them and not the camera warning sign really.

They even have an app for you to pay your fines. I paid, all 3 times. Because I was speeding. Because the fine was reasonable. Because I don’t know what will happen if I don’t. I’ve paid a German one too, that was also minor and the fine was reasonable. And because they sent me a photo of me looking like I was picking my nose. But I wasn’t.

I’m not surprised if we don’t send fines to owners of foreign registered speeding cars here because we also don’t bother too much about asking for foreign citizens’ EHIC cards in hospitals either. It’s the way we seem to operate and I don’t know why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread has made me nervous of receiving a surprise fine from our recent trip, even if only a few hours were in France and we endeavored to always be below the limit. If the speed limit signs can be different to the actual speed limit then that's rather misleading. I find it kind of bizarre for folks to consider that's the drivers fault if false speed limits are posted, what kind of weird legal system is that?

I agree its easy to avoid a fine, but only if the signs are correct. If the signs are showing an incorrect speed limit that kind of feels like entrapment which is illegal surely?

In the UK if the signage isn't up to standards and accurate then fines can't stand. Then again you always see non-UK cars flying through speed camera zones at 75+ mph when everyone else is doing 50 in an average speed check, , i guess they know they wont get caught or fined?

Just back from a week meandering around the Vosges and being very careful to keep to 80 kph.
I was fined £45 back in March for exceeding 80kph near Le Mans; I did not believe I had been speeding, so checked my Garmin track log - they were right, I was doing 86. Fair cop.

More general observations on the 80kph limit: on some roads it seems tediously slow; it improves the fuel economy a bit. Some local drivers also find it very slow and may do risky overtakes past my little red van (it pays to keep one eye on the rear view mirror). On typical rolling RNs it is just a tad too slow to maintain 6th gear on the up bits - I guess a DSG would be hunting between 5 & 6 all the time.

Whilst cruising up the A26 autoroute from Reims to Calais at 130 kph, I noted that most French vehicles stay at or just below the limit. The only vehicles that passed me going clearly faster (in two cases - much faster) were UK registered. Were they betting on a no-deal Brexit and resulting chaos to avoid fines?

i can confirm that those in Belgium get fines if found speeding in France, each time and everytime. I use WAZE with speed limits updated on it at all times in France.

Is the fine the same irrespective of how much over the limit. I guess not.

If one was to speed in moderation lets say like the 50 + year old 90kph when cars had no brakes and slow for the in town bits, then I guess paying the fines would be less than the tolls so result.

Those that can remember will know the French crashed a lot not because of the higher speed limit but the desire to all share the same road space.
I used to live in France in the 80,s and they really were a pretty unobservant bunch , yes really.
I drove down to Antibes in the porsche this year on the D roads and my goodness a walker must have set the road policing policy or a tree hugger perhaps ?

I just hope the route Napoleon doesnt have more cameras than it seemed.

Just got two speeding tickets come through from our trip in early July.
Both 45euros if I cough up now.
Both 5/6 kph over the bloody 80 limit which is still posted at 90.
Be careful out there.:(

Interesting one on the M5 that has recently come to light. After a serious accident the overhead signs were mistakenly put to 20 rather than 40mph. Around 100 drivers didn't react and have been charged with speeding despite Highways England admitting they set the speed incorrectly.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/m5-crash-speeding-fine-bristol-3281766
One driver claimed the speed changed as they drove under it. I've always wondered how fast the cameras become active at the new speed when it changes. One of the reasons I have a dash cam.

I used to live in France in the 80,s and they really were a pretty unobservant bunch , yes really.
It didnt help that they had priorité à droite/priority to the right in some places but phased it out in others. So you had to treat it like it was still in effect and indeed some older folks would shoot out even when they shouldn't. Until recently I had only drove in France on motorcycle so you had to be on the ball when the only protection is your clothing.

People people people! Calm down!
If you do not want to pay, there is no mechanism for the French to force you. The only possible sanction is they 'might' stop you as you go into France in the offending vehicle - highly unlikely IMHO.
I have just thrown 2 such letters in the bin from supposed offences early this year. I am not bothered as I know it is not worth them doing anything further as they cannot! Same with NZ speeding ticket 3 years ago, they rely on 50% paying.

Just relax and ignore, just like they do when it suits them!

Just beware, and in France, every speed camera is mentioned way before, so it's not that you weren't warned!

No, not all... and since last years "gilets jaunes" some were broken, and are still mentionned...

I am french and yes, I agree, we have a transition moment with 90 and 80... and too close one to the other.

I have followed some people at 80, and, I still have 3 weeks to wait, I hope never to be a a hurry in the coming Cali... I never am, already, why should it change ?

I go back to reading the next messages (3 pages)

Lived in France for 6 years - 3 speeding tickets during that time - I never paid whilst on my UK plates (I did once I had switched to French plates) and nothing ever done to me or penalties. Not advocating just informing. I have been caught on the spot by police bikes on a National and they forced me to pay on the spot as I had UK plates. From October 31st I bet even less will happen - is there going to be a reciprocal arrangement? I have heard that authorities keep details of all tickets outstanding in Belgium/Holland and people stopped from leaving country if outstanding penalties. Just wanted to share.

I picked up a 25 Euro speeding ticket on the German Autobahn. It didn't seem excessive for driving at 70kph on a 50kph ramp between motorways.

I got a 90 Euro fine from July for doing 56 in a 50km in Bordeaux - and that was for paying within 46 days. Fair cop, but felt tediously slow.

Most worrying thing is, I reckon I was flashed about 3 other times in a four week period (all before that). That fine came through really quickly (about 6 weeks ago), but reading this I'm a bit worried I might have a few more on the way...guess if so I'll pay my own 'stupid tax' :rolleyes: Just don't feel comfortable with the risk of getting stopped entering France again having not paid...if I didn't pay my €90 one, they threaten that increasing to €375 after 76 days!!!

Simply do not pay. There is no jurisdiction here. They will send you letters recorded and not recorded. Refuse the recorded throw away others. I have never ever heard of another country trying to go legal for RT offences unless serious. Reason: they cannot easily do it, costs would be inordinate. The legal system is different.
Pay if you want, don’t if you don’t.
The reason they send tickets is because it is a magic money tree. Most people pay like good citizens, except they are not. Imagine a Frenchman paying up a fine incurred in uk. I don’t think so!

Simply do not pay. There is no jurisdiction here. They will send you letters recorded and not recorded. Refuse the recorded throw away others. I have never ever heard of another country trying to go legal for RT offences unless serious. Reason: they cannot easily do it, costs would be inordinate. The legal system is different.
Pay if you want, don’t if you don’t.
The reason they send tickets is because it is a magic money tree. Most people pay like good citizens, except they are not. Imagine a Frenchman paying up a fine incurred in uk. I don’t think so!
I don't know how I could possibly disagree more.

If you visit another country and drive on their roads, you have a duty to adhere to their rules. If you do not, you should accept the consequences and pay the consequences.

You do however, raise an interesting question: what is the compliance rate of various European nationals for British issued PCNs?

This report from Portsmouth City Council suggests that overall they collect ~30% of fines issued to Foreign Registered Vehicles (Page 14).