Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh Water Pump Replacement.

S

Shadrack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi Guys
Just looking for a heads up on the fresh water pump replacement. It started to play up and run slow last time out. So before fuse, wiring etc I guess I am looking at the pump.
I have located a replacement on a well known jungle website.

Is it straightforward to get at and replace or should I be aware of any hiccups or potential traps?

Any guidance before hand would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

IMG_0561.png

Hi Guys
Just looking for a heads up on the fresh water pump replacement. It started to play up and run slow last time out. So before fuse, wiring etc I guess I am looking at the pump.

Is it straightforward to get at and replace or should I be aware of any hiccups or potential traps?

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 126101
Simple to swap out but opening the water tank can be difficult. There is a tool that Forum shop sells or you can make your own.

Also some electrical connectors .

Simple to swap out but opening the water tank can be difficult. There is a tool that Forum shop sells or you can make your own.

Also some electrical connectors .
Brilliant, thanks WellGas, most useful. I will make a tool at the weekend and give it a go.

Hi Guys

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 126101
Also getting the pump electrical lead through the black plastic grommet/seal and then getting this grommet/seal back into the tank is a right PITA.
Some plumbing silicon pipe lube may help (Needs to be water fitting safe)

This guy (cannot find him on the club site) did this guide

One final check, after successfully replacing my pump a few years ago, the new one started to run slow and then intermittently.
Fault eventually traced to a fractured wire in the cable after the connector under the sink.
As the strands broke down the resistance increased reducing the current to the pump, slowing down until all strands melted and pump stopped.
Took a while to locate but once fault section cut out and solder back together and insulated with heat shrink, all good.IMG_7392.jpeg

Also getting the pump electrical lead through the black plastic grommet/seal and then getting this grommet/seal back into the tank is a right PITA.

One final check, after successfully replacing my pump a few years ago, the new one started to run slow and then intermittently.
Fault eventually traced to a fractured wire in the cable after the connector under the sink.
As the strands broke down the resistance increased reducing the current to the pump, slowing down until all strands melted and pump stopped.
Took a while to locate but once fault section cut out and solder back together and insulated with heat shrink, all good.View attachment 126148

Very helpful, some good pointers, thank you.

Took a while to locate but once fault section cut out and solder back together and insulated with heat shrink, all good.View attachment 126148

New pump installed, a pretty straightforward task thanks to you guys with the helpful pointers.
However…… Argh!
Fitting the new pump although the obvious culprit is not the cause of the problem.

Before I connected electrical cables in crimps and heat shrink etc I did a quick test. The pump decided not to work. I put meter on connections at the connector 12v, as soon as I connect the load (with tap on)it drops right down.
So it’s similar to your issue Resfeber, somewhere along the supply from tap(or before) there is a dodgy connection or fractured cable.

As I was in the process of packing drawers etc ready for next trip, I now have a little unpacking to do before I can get to the tap under the sink. That’s for another day.

The link you posted Resfeber was very helpful, the pliers and adjustable spanner to remove tank lid worked a treat, saved me the time making a special tools etc. Thank you.

Note:-
The suspect pump I removed ran fine from a different supply, so I now have a spare.
I have also tested the new replacement from a separate supply, all good.

I keep all posted once I locate the dodgy bit, wire or switch contact.

Thanks to all again.

New pump installed, a pretty straightforward task thanks to you guys with the helpful pointers.
However…… Argh!
Fitting the new pump although the obvious culprit is not the cause of the problem.

Before I connected electrical cables in crimps and heat shrink etc I did a quick test. The pump decided not to work. I put meter on connections at the connector 12v, as soon as I connect the load (with tap on)it drops right down.
So it’s similar to your issue Resfeber, somewhere along the supply from tap(or before) there is a dodgy connection or fractured cable.

As I was in the process of packing drawers etc ready for next trip, I now have a little unpacking to do before I can get to the tap under the sink. That’s for another day.

The link you posted Resfeber was very helpful, the pliers and adjustable spanner to remove tank lid worked a treat, saved me the time making a special tools etc. Thank you.

Note:-
The suspect pump I removed ran fine from a different supply, so I now have a spare.
I have also tested the new replacement from a separate supply, all good.

I keep all posted once I locate the dodgy bit, wire or switch contact.

Thanks to all again.

Hi All,
Fault found to be dirty micro switch contacts, I could not believe how tiny they are.
No wonder they fail after a while with the flash when the pump kicks in, quite big for such tiny contacts.
Well done to those who have updated by fitting a relay to take the load, I believe that’s definitely a necessary move.
That is my next small upgrade for when I return from next trip.

I swapped out the pump first as it was the obvious, not an issue tho as I do enjoy the challenge when it comes to electrics.

Again, a big thank you to Welshgas and Resfeber for helpful posts that have help me with their posts here. Also to those that have posted similar issues in the past.

Spending time searching within this forum pays off in spades every time. I have discovered and learnt so much about my Cali.

Thank you to everyone.

Back