Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh water tank

slowcoach65

slowcoach65

VIP Member
I've noticed that when I drain the fresh water tank the water drains out the rear-nearside. The water comes out of a hole in an under-panel, however, it is as if the water is just being dumped from the tank onto this panel when I would have expected to see or feel the tip of drainage pipe - sorry if this doesn't make sense.

My concern is, that if you stick your fingers in the afore mentioned hole, you can feel what I think is a wiring loom in a plastic sleeve which, when the tank drains, gets soaked.

Any comments/suggestions :help

Andy

Thanks. I agree, not a great design. All it needs is a few inches of pipe and it would be a job well done :!:

Andy

I've wondered on this, has anyone tried fitting a length of pipe to help direct the draining water?

'As it falls from behind the bumper' didn't seem all that thought out to me, getting parked over a drain can be interesting with the grey waste exiting in from of the wheel and then the fresh exiting from wherever it feels like :D

Forgive my ignorance, but why do we need the fresh water tank dump? I've been opening the waste tank outlet and then running the tap. That way, the waste tank gets a bit of a rinse too, no?

S

Here you go here is the text translated

image.jpg

From the top :

the guy explains he was annoyed by the fact that the water was dripping everywhere so he attempted to fix the issue.
1 hour of work. Remove the spare wheel and the black plastic cover under (on the left). The first blue arrow points to the exit hole of the water tank. Then on the second picture, the blue arrow points to the existing hole in the plastic cover (hole that is way to small apparently). Third picture : make a hole (right under the exit hole). Then use a 80mm funnel to put in this hole and put everything back together.

DoubleWah said:
Forgive my ignorance, but why do we need the fresh water tank dump? I've been opening the waste tank outlet and then running the tap. That way, the waste tank gets a bit of a rinse too, no?

S
That sounds like an easy option to me.

you need a drain dump because just opening the tap untill no water comes out does not get all the water out of the bottom of the tank and risking pump damage due to running dry. Summer months is no problem but with the frosts we have had lately its nice to know the pump and tank are dry. I asked VW C/C about the draining issue thinking it was a fault and they said its normal and no problem as its clean water. I agree it a bad design just for the sake of a couple of inches of pipe. Paul.

Back