Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge for Beach - £75 or £700?

The internal dimensions are:
265×340x350 high which works out about 31.5 litres, then you have to allow for some lost space at the grille. Don't know why Waeco say it's 35!!!.
We filled it up at home, powered it on the mains overnight and it ran on the leisure battery all the way to Rome without any problem.

Used to use this type years ago with a caravan which had no fridge. On site either mains or with a gas bottle saving leisure battery. Even used for Xmas fridge surplus.
Can be cooled at home on mains before setting off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dometic-...h=item33fc6f9f87:g:-7QAAOSws2Rb9Xh9:rk:7:pf:0

We also bought one of these two years ago and have used it on many times but it was purchased for our two three week summer trips around Europe when we felt any 'Coolbox' would struggle. We keep it behind the passenger seat in our Beach and plug it into the 12v when on the move and MHU when on sites. It is easily moveable (so could and has sat out in the awning) and has doubled as a large beer fridge at home on some big social occasions too! It has immense capacity and keeps everything very cold. It is like having a proper fridge when away from home. We simply take it in and out in seconds as needed for trips. As others have mentioned, it is definitely a good idea to prec00l it ay home and we always take a couple of frozen meals for the first couple of nights away, which act as slow dispersing ice packs.

You probably figured it out by now but compressor fridge is the way to go. They are far more efficient and can easily deal with much higher ambient temperatures. Expensive I realise so select a smaller one, also they have a good resale as long as you buy a popular size.

Webasto TB41 works brilliantly for our needs. Family holiday’s in Spain for 3 weeks. 2adults and 2 kids..

We have a 12v which we dont turn on but have insulated it with a metallic foam mat. We freeze salt water in 2 square volvic bottles which stay cold 4 days. The wine and beer can go under the van in cooler weather. Don't lose the point of just taking off and having fun. You can always call at a shop when out and about

That’s a brilliant tip for any camping fridge, will extend you stay on a compressor too. I got 5 or 6 days out of a single leisure battery with frozen water in my fridge. Had nice cold water too :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a fridge used many years on my father T4, then on my Caravelle and now on California Beach. I don't remember the model, but it's an integated 220v-12v so i can plug it to the battery or directly to the 220v. Works fine but... is very noisy!!! i cannot leave it in the van overnight and if i leave outside i can hear the fan noise inside. it's not a fan problem beacuse it's dirty or brocken.. it's noisy by design.... do you know if the waeco or the orriginal vw California beach fridge is noisy? thanks!

I have a fridge used many years on my father T4, then on my Caravelle and now on California Beach. I don't remember the model, but it's an integated 220v-12v so i can plug it to the battery or directly to the 220v. Works fine but... is very noisy!!! i cannot leave it in the van overnight and if i leave outside i can hear the fan noise inside. it's not a fan problem beacuse it's dirty or brocken.. it's noisy by design.... do you know if the waeco or the orriginal vw California beach fridge is noisy? thanks!
We have a Waeco CDF-18 that we use on our boat/parties and picnics, it is over 15 years old, cannot recommend it enough.

We have one of these (below) which we take in and out of our VW Beach for trips. It is a good looking bit of kit and when stored at home, we sometimes use it as an additional beer fridge for parties. In the van is is silent. In fact, because it doesn't have a light to tell you it is on, the only way to tell it is working is from the small amount of heat coming out the top vent. It plugs in to mains, 12v or can be gas powered. And has a whooping 41 litre capacity! It is relatively light when empty and so can be taken out the van and put in an awning if you have one. Otherwise it sits behind the passenger seat and is great.

Dometic Combicool RC1700 Camping Fridge
https://www.mgdonline.co.uk/products/dometic-combicool-rc-1700-camping-fridge.php

Actually just checked and ours is the RC2200 version. As we tend to be mainly on electric hook up when camper vanning, the 12v draw has never really been an issue, and it has worked well in the van on 12v when travelling around Europe. There are plenty of reviews on it suitability and reliability. And it is SILENT so not an issue when sleeping in the van.

Dometic Combicool RC2200 Camping Fridge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003Y41OX6/?tag=eliteelect-21

Hi all,

I've just realised a long held ambition and bought my VW Beach :)

I'm looking to buy a fridge, as this is going to be an essential bit of kit for family days out. I see from other posts here that the Waeco CFX35 seems by far the most recommended. However, this is £600+

I've seen 12v coolboxes on amazon (like the Waeco/Mobicool U32) for less than £80, and wondering is it really worth spending nearly 10 times as much for the CFX??

Appreciate any advice on this!
Thanks!

Just remember that old saying, Buy cheap buy twice!

If you just use your Beach for days out and want something to keep your sandwiches cool then a cheap cool box with some freezer blocks in it will be just as good as a more expensive powered cool box and it won't drain your leisure battery.

On the other hand if you intend to use your van for proper camping then don't bother thinking about getting powered cool box. We have the VW offering and it rarely gets used.

We also have a Waeco/Dometic CFX35 compressor fridge/freezer. Yes they are expensive but if you want something that actually works as a fridge or freezer then look no further. These units are brilliant. They are portable and can run off 12v/24v/240v power supplies so can be used as an overflow fridge/freezer in your house when the need arises. They use very little power because they are very well insulated and as a result the compressor only operates when the internal temperature rises above the preset level. The CFX range are all very quite and when running they are almost silent. Unlike some other units fitted in camper vans they can actually be used as a full on freezer. Last summer we had ours permenantly packed with ice creams and lollies. Our young crew thought it was the best thing ever. The CFX range are also very well made.

So IMO either pay the money and get a proper fridge/freezer or just use a non powered cool box with freezer blocks.

Last edited:
We also had an RC*****, can't remember the number. We bought it in 1976 when i worked for Electrolux now Dometic a subsidiary of Electrolux. It was a 3 way, 12vdc, lpg, and mains voltage.
It is an absorption refrigerator so quiet running. Only downside i found was it had to be level when in use.
I think we kept it until first purchase of a campervan in 1998 which had a compressor fridge. It served us well for 20 odd years of camping.

Dometic Waeco CF 11 Compressor Fridge (fits between the front seats.)

Cost about £350 (worth every penny.)

View attachment 40237

Is there any spare width with that fridge? I'm wondering whether the CF16 or 26 might fit (probably not). Thanks!

Edit: forgot about the handbrake, obviously no spare width with that clunky thing there!

Is there any spare width with that fridge? I'm wondering whether the CF16 or 26 might fit (probably not). Thanks!

Edit: forgot about the handbrake, obviously no spare width with that clunky thing there!

It’s a very snug fit, so doubt you’d get anything wider in.

Thanks JD. This 18 litre fridge is the exact same width, I'd be tempted to try it. DC only though, I'm not sure how important that is.

Thanks JD. This 18 litre fridge is the exact same width, I'd be tempted to try it. DC only though, I'm not sure how important that is.

I did consider the Indel TB18, but find the cup holders in the Waeco/Dometic useful.

It really depends on what you are doing. If you are travelling primarily in the UK then its less of an issue. You could check out the reports on https://campfiremag.co.uk/ which are pretty good. I have no affiliation with the site.

Had a great offer with Amazon Warehouse for a Mobicool FR34, 31 liter capacity.
Supposed to be as new with only original box broken, so I bought it. Was really new, neither a scratch, cable still in plastic bag, but....
The plastic compressor cover was broken, 10 cm long, nothing that some glue can’t fix, but as it wasn’t specified, I got another 20% of the price off. Ended with a pefectly working compressor 12/230 fridge for less than 190 euro.

We have the below, fits in the boot under the parcel shelf / MFB on a 3 seater. Used daily in the garage on 240v as a beer fridge, works well on 12v in the van (as still need to get electric hookup fitted.):

We have the below, fits in the boot under the parcel shelf / MFB on a 3 seater. Used daily in the garage on 240v as a beer fridge, works well on 12v in the van (as still need to get electric hookup fitted.):

But this operates as thermoelectric on 12v, which can very quickly drain the leisure battery. How long have you run it just on 12v?

That sounds more efficient than some thermoelectric fridges. That's why most here will recommend compressor ones.

Seems very well insulated & we always tend to put cold food into it from the fridge at home, so it just ticks over.

But this operates as thermoelectric on 12v, which can very quickly drain the leisure battery. How long have you run it just on 12v?

Updated:

Our fridge is always running on 240v in the garage before we leave at about 3deg c, and then plugged into 12v in the van. For longer stays we choose somewhere with a hookup so can then switch to 240v upon arrival. (ie – Ferry + Overnight stop enroute to SW France and contents nice and cold on arrival).

If you just used on 12v from warm then it would probably only last a night on 12v, as would use a fair amount of power bringing the internal temp down. The most annoying thing would be waking up and not being able to use the heater because the fridge has flattened the leisure battery!

Waeco CFX35 seems to be the best for running on 12v for longer periods. Expensive but seems to be worth it given the feedback on other threads. If we ever changed ours I would switch to the CFX35.

Back