Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge for Beach - £75 or £700?

Updated:

Our fridge is always running on 240v in the garage before we leave at about 3deg c, and then plugged into 12v in the van. For longer stays we choose somewhere with a hookup so can then switch to 240v upon arrival. (ie – Ferry + Overnight stop enroute to SW France and contents nice and cold on arrival).

If you just used on 12v from warm then it would probably only last a night on 12v, as would use a fair amount of power bringing the internal temp down. The most annoying thing would be waking up and not being able to use the heater because the fridge has flattened the leisure battery!

Waeco CFX35 seems to be the best for running on 12v for longer periods. Expensive but seems to be worth it given the feedback on other threads. If we ever changed ours I would switch to the CFX35.
Were have the CFX35 :)

Purchased a Beach in May, first purchase was a Domestic cf 11 fridge.
Sits between seats ideal for helping kids access roof bed.
May be a little small for some, but we manage keeps a bottle of milk, a couple of beers and smaller items cool when needed.
Very efficient, will actually freeze food if needed, two seperate compartments, ideal if you dont mind shopping and stocking up regularly.
Worked well on our 2wk trip to Austria and Switzerland, added bonus of not taking up boot space and easy to access when on the move.

We just bought a Bearmach 42 l compressor from mps-trading for around £400 delivered. Was considering a Waeco or similar but then thought, for our use, couldnt justify the prices. I think in reality (and real world usage) will be pressed to notice the difference - one area of concern is build quality but I also got a transit bag for protection (and they look cool!)

Back