Topman

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi All - looking for a bit of help on this

My 12v / Mains campingcaz coolbox has come to the end of its days

What's my best option (buy) now for keeping the drinks and food cool

Thanks
Chris

this is one of the hottest forum potatoes - lots of reading if you search for fridge / cool box / waeco / coolmatic / dometic - if you have a two seat Beach you may be height restricted if you want to put it under the multiflex - again loads on this.

lots of great kit out there - depends on budget capacity and badge importance

It seems Waeco FR35 is one of the best, silent, runs on both 12V and 230V and has proper capacity.
Its quite expensive though.

I've got the Waeco CF26 which seems decent. Quite slim and fits perfectly under the 3-seater multiflex

I'd be interested to hear what you go for. I'm going through the same minefiled at present.

I'm not that bothered about the gas capability and I'm currently torn between :

1) Waeco Mobicool Q40 Cool Box

2) Waeco Mobicool B40 Hybrid

Decisions, decisions...

We have both a Waeco as a fridge and an Engle as a freezer both are very good at their respective jobs both are dual voltage.
Both of them are also voltage sensing, meaning that when they sense the battery is being charged(voltage rise) they allow the compressor to draw more current and work harder.

I have a waeco cf40 and its pretty efficient and gets nice and cold (will even freeze to -18 if you need). Runs off mains and 12v well. I really like it, its got a massive capacity (and maybe its a bit big because of that?)

I wrote a few thoughts on it in this post.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/ok-guys-fridge.13600/#post-140637

My only concerns with waeco is they are somewhat renowned for not lasting very long and the support being terrible when things go wrong, and repairs insanely expensive. Mine is still going strong but it does seem to be 4 or 5 degrees C out on the thermostat (although recent use suggests its consistently out at least).

Another option would be the Webasto compressor fridges, I know Slidepods has a special on these at the mo (I just read the post) and they are apparently a good competitive option. I expect Webasto will have significantly better after sales support too which if I was buying again would probably influence my decision.

Thanks Matt.

They're quite expensive aren't they.

I've just ordered an absorption cooler from Dometic. (From what I can tell it's the same internals as Waeco)

I got the RC 1205 GC so can operate on mains, 12V and gas.

The GC is for "Gas Cartridge" and it has a cradle for small 220g canisters making it really portable.

cf1076063d281b3d2dda0c11316f5606.jpg

I really liked the design - let's just hope it lasts!

I got this one on sale for just over £200 which seems to be about half the price of some of the others I've seen.

I'll let you know how it pans out when it's cooled a few beers and had a few knocks.

Are the electric cool bags any good? Lidl have them at the moment but I realise that they are not as good as a £300 fridge but do the stop butter liquidising and keep beer cool?

I have an electric coolbox and it actually works well but they aren't as efficient and only reduce the temp below ambient as opposed to chilling like a compressor. Certainly will keep things cooler. Freeze packs will keep it cool longer.

Good with the engine running but may drain the battery quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We have just come back from our first (4 week) trip since buying a beach (previously had an SE) we bought a Dometic 12v/240v/gas absorption cooler for £170, en route and doing one night stops it lives on the multiflex board and can be opened from inside the beach by reaching over the rear bench seat back, we use the top bed. For a longer stay at a site it lives in a utility tent and we use the lower bed. It is silent, very effective and cheap.

I got the RC 1205 GC so can operate on mains, 12V and gas.
we bought a Dometic 12v/240v/gas absorption cooler for £170,
My son is restoring an old camper van and I was thinking this would be an ideal present for him. The RC1205GC is £239 on Amazon, is that a fair price? @Richard, is yours the 1205 as well, or is it a different model?

I just bought a brand new CDF25 from Attwoolls in Gloucester for £299.00 - special offer as i think this model has been superseded. Solid bit of kit and fits the Beach perfecto - I have the 3 seat and it fits under the MFB and is not too bulky to keep in living space when parked up. They have a few in the shop.

My son is restoring an old camper van and I was thinking this would be an ideal present for him. The RC1205GC is £239 on Amazon, is that a fair price? @Richard, is yours the 1205 as well, or is it a different model?
I bought an RC1200

Jonny showed me his webasto fridge whilst I was getting my heater fitted, worth a look if you're in the market and better support network than Waeco from all accounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just going through this at the moment and was about to pull the plug on the (stupidly) expensive Waeco CF 35, cheapest I can find this is £449 at Grasshopper Leisure.

I too am put off by the internet 'chatter' about poor build and early failings (apparently due to a switch to cheaper Chinese manufacturer compared to the much superior older German made compressors). Don't mind paying for quality but if it gives up after two years then I'd be :mad:

Will consider the cheaper FR 35 then at £339 (Amazon) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ID2372U/?tag=eliteelect-21

Some good 'inside' info here from the Germans, stick it through Google Translate:

http://www.t4forum.de/wbb3/board19-...aeco-fr-35-fridgerite-unterschiede-zur-cf-35/

German Amazon gives good info:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00ID2372U/

Seems the FR has no basket, lid not removable? (can anyone confirm these) Not sure if the voltage protection is included also?

Reviews are up and down...

Good summary - copied from ebay.de Amazon review - the part about the sensor in the base and creating an air gap seems quite important:

The running noise is a normal refrigerator very similar, only much quieter. In absolute silence very sensitive people will not be able to sleep next to the box, with a few meters distance but it is not heard. I am amazed that the compressor is so powerful and quiet. But the noise is not unpleasant. a very slight noise and a hum that comes from the compressor. Do not disturb the sound and I could sleep next to it. ;-) The displayed temperature should correspond to the temperature at the center of the box. So I assume that either the temperature sensor is installed in the cover or in the bottom. The display permanently shows the actual temperature, not the one that has been discontinued. I have never test -5 degrees and leave the box as far to cool. That is now almost 45 minutes and it shows me still -2 degrees. But usually we all know what has been set for a temperature. The box provides for 12/24 volt three different battery protection / Batterieschonmodi with. One can High, Med and Low Set. These three modes include different settings when the unit shuts down and turns back on when the battery voltage drops or rises again by charging. Auschaltspannung at 12V Low: 10,1V Med: 11,4V High: 11.8Vreclosure voltage at 12V: low: 11.1V Med: 12,2V high: 12.6V for 24V other values that I do not want to mention here, since most people safely operate this box with 12V apply. The data for 24V stand but in the manual in it. Furthermore, you can still change the temperature display from Celsius to Fahrenheit. What I do not like is the lid, which has about 1-2mm game. Although he attaches securely and there is a small sealing tape in the cover, but I can 1-2mm lift the lid and he play in the engaged state. Whether the now big effect on the cooling capacity / efficiency, I doubt it, but it's something where you could make improvements. The second point is the protection of the display. There no Plexiglascheibe sits between, but only a sort of thicker film. For a mobile box that is a little too thin and unstable. Otherwise, I can not complain and will test the weekend neatly on the 12V rail, the box. I am particularly interested in whether the box has an automatic switching between 12 / 220V. So a Vorangsschaltung. If 220V, the box runs with 220V, 200V are no longer available, the box takes the 12V. So you can connect both cable and sometimes applying and Stoppers on shore power on the box is no longer the precious battery power, but about 220V whether the box can, as reflected below 12V I will next week on weekends, the box was on the boat in use and unfortunately my initial enthusiasm has given way somewhat sobering. I had taken a large bowl with cottage cheese on the boat and it was on the bottom of the cooler. it lay a few drinks. It was planned weekend a campfire with delicious baked potatoes with cottage cheese for 7 people realize. There is only one temperature sensor in place and this seems to be built into the center of the bottom of the box.The feature has the negative effect that is jammed between glass bowl bottom the cold and there sure the displayed temperature of 5 degrees was, but I was wondering which would not be cold drinks. I put a thermometer on the covered bowl and there were 15.4 degrees at 22 degrees outside temperature. What should I do now? Quark take out, the safe until the next evening would be bad then or waive chilled drinks ... I turned the temperature low to minus 10 and then I had the top of the glass bowl 7 degrees and was probably at the bottom of the bowl of curd now frozen. at the next day then people came and brought a lot of grilled sausages and meat and despite a good Tetris game, I did not get everything in the box. here failed the box completely and did not get cooled down the food. The thermometer showed after 6 hours still 15 degrees to 20 degrees outside. We wanted to eat everything in the evening, which was not so tragic, but after two days I would not want to eat the meat and sausages. Since the box at full configuration failed mercilessly and also by design has Nachholungsbedarf I prefer here a ZIP code. Because of the low set temperature, the compressor was of course at the time and has been consumed electricity. Otherwise, it can be said that the power consumption and the volume (on a boat almost inaudible ) and the cooling is good if you only have a few things in the box to drink as 2 yoghurts, sausage pack for bread and two or three bottles. But if I really need such a large box for the amounts it was time to be seen. Two other sensors (Centartikel) and the average of all the sensors would be optimal. However, only one block to the ground just leads to cold storage and the rest stays warm and at full box to an almost nonexistent cooling. The manufacturer should have 2.10.205 I am still satisfied with the box and when the deficiency is aware of the location of the sensor, then try not deliver this. Furthermore, the display appears to be somewhat inaccurate. I have 2-5 degrees (depending on ambient temperature) deviations between the displayed temperature and the temperature actually present in the box. I ask why always 2 degrees less a than I need. So if I want to have 5 degrees in the box, I have to set 3 degrees. The fuller the box, the higher the deviation. What's left to say that switches the box automatically between 12-220V. Tested When compressor is running, the transition from 22ß to 12 volts without interruption. The compressor will continue uninterrupted. From 12-220V, the compressor switches off and goes after about 4-7 minutes if needed again. So you can now connect both cable and if you have shore power to supply the box from the 220V power . update 12/2015 still the box works fine and I can sure make a purchase recommendation.Ultimately remain for me 3 minuses. cover has clearly too much play, displayed temperature deviates partly up to 5 degrees of itself squarely located in the box temperature from and apparently centered in base built temperature sensor, which can lead to poor cooling when there is something on it and so the cold Staut. As a solution to this problem, I will .zB build a small stand me from chicken wire, which is as big as the bottom of the box and 2 cm high. Inserted in the box can they now assemble freely and there on the floor now 2cm airspace is to circulate the cold better.

Some background reading here, which seems to sum up what I've read in detail over many forums and reviews. http://www.snowys.com.au/blog/camping-fridges-theyre-not-all-the-same/

Someone with a beach reviewed some...
http://campfiremag.co.uk/which-camping-fridge/

Also some tips on living with a Beach!
http://campfiremag.co.uk/vw-california/

After looking around, I chose the Waeco CFX 28 for my 2 seater Beach for the size and low power draw. It doesn't fit under the 'multiflex' board but fits perfectly between the driver/passenger seat and the small cupboard, or can sit on the cupboard and nestle between the bench and the window length-ways, or of course outside using the rear 12V socket.

I found the CFX 35 was too big (wouldn't fit between the front seat and the cupboard unless you have the driver/passenger seat pretty very far forward and protrudes out a lot more too). The 28 takes 40+ 330ml cans, so should be enough for a few bevvies.

I did a fair amount of research and thought the other 'last gen' compressor options (FR, CF, Engel etc) were either too small inside or not efficient enough especially as we have to relay on Solar to recharge the leisure battery and it's not just weekend jaunts. When you consider the latest gen ones, they all seem to be a similar price new.

Can post some pics of the size within the beach (T5.2) if anyone is interested.

I have been using our old thermo electric coolbox with our Beach without hookup.
It seems I can't use it for 24 hours on the leisure battery and it sounds too much.
I am most certainly going for a CFX 28.

It seems the CFX-28 can barely fit under a 3 seat bench, is this correct?

Back